Predicting Heredity Quiz With Answers

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Sophia Smith
Sophia Smith, Content Moderator
Sophia is a quiz virtuoso, celebrated for her talent in curating quizzes that seamlessly blend entertainment and knowledge, creating captivating journeys of discovery and enjoyment at ProProfs.com. With a strong academic background in IT, she brings her passion for technology to crafting quizzes, particularly excelling in IT-themed quizzes, as well as quizzes centered around shows and movies.
Quizzes Created: 1085 | Total Attempts: 2,250,287
Questions: 10 | Attempts: 101

SettingsSettingsSettings
Predicting Heredity Quiz With Answers - Quiz

Have you ever studied predicting heredity? Do you wish to test your knowledge and understanding? Try this predicting heredity quiz with answers! Basically, predicting heredity involves Punnett Square. So, most of the questions are based on this concept. Even if you miss out on some questions, we are here to help you with the correct answers too. All the best! Go for it, and do not forget to share the quiz results with others.


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    What is a Punnett square?

    • A.

      A tool scientists use to determine the possible combinations of offspring from particular parents.

    • B.

      A tool scientists use to see alleles.

    • C.

      A tool scientists use to see which alleles are dominant.

    • D.

      None of the above

    Correct Answer
    A. A tool scientists use to determine the possible combinations of offspring from particular parents.
    Explanation
    A Punnett square is a tool that scientists use to determine the possible combinations of offspring from particular parents. It helps in predicting the genetic outcomes of a cross between two individuals by organizing and visualizing the different allele combinations that can occur in their offspring. By using the Punnett square, scientists can understand the probabilities of different traits being expressed in the next generation.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    An organism’s genetic makeup or allele combination is called.

    • A.

      Phenotype

    • B.

      Notype

    • C.

      Genotype

    • D.

      Beanotype

    Correct Answer
    C. Genotype
    Explanation
    The term "genotype" refers to an organism's genetic makeup or allele combination. It represents the specific genes an individual possesses, which may or may not be expressed in their physical characteristics or phenotype. This term is commonly used in genetics to describe the genetic information carried by an organism.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    An organism’s physical appearance or visible traits. 

    • A.

      Beanotype

    • B.

      Genotype

    • C.

      Notype

    • D.

      Phenotype

    Correct Answer
    D. Phenotype
    Explanation
    Phenotype refers to an organism's physical appearance or visible traits. This includes characteristics such as hair color, eye color, height, and any other observable features. It is determined by a combination of genetic factors (genotype) as well as environmental influences. The phenotype of an organism can provide valuable information about its genetic makeup and can be influenced by various factors such as mutations, gene expression, and interactions with the environment.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    What is it called when an organism has a dominant AND recessive allele for a trait (hybrid)?

    • A.

      Heterozygous

    • B.

      Homozygous

    • C.

      Thermozygous

    • D.

      Domozygous

    Correct Answer
    A. Heterozygous
    Explanation
    When an organism has a dominant AND recessive allele for a trait, it is called heterozygous. Heterozygous means that the organism has two different alleles for a particular trait, one dominant and one recessive. This results in the organism displaying the dominant trait, but still carrying the recessive allele and being able to pass it on to its offspring.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    Which best describes an inherited trait?

    • A.

      A characteristic one chooses to express

    • B.

      A characteristic that is passed on from one's parents

    • C.

      A characteristic one receives from the food one eats

    • D.

      A characteristic that is influenced by one's surroundings

    Correct Answer
    B. A characteristic that is passed on from one's parents
    Explanation
    An inherited trait is a characteristic that is passed on from one's parents. This means that it is genetically determined and is present in an individual's DNA. It is not something that one chooses to express or receives from the food one eats. It is also not influenced by one's surroundings.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    Living organisms inherit many traits from their parents. However, some traits are acquired through __________ influences.

    • A.

      Forced

    • B.

      Environmental

    • C.

      Good

    • D.

      None of the above

    Correct Answer
    B. Environmental
    Explanation
    Living organisms inherit many traits from their parents, which are referred to as genetic influences. However, some traits are not determined by genetics but are acquired through the environment. These environmental influences can include factors such as diet, exercise, exposure to toxins, and social interactions. These external factors can shape an organism's traits and characteristics, even though they may not be directly inherited from their parents.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    In a particular genetic cross, the probability of the offspring having a certain trait is 3/4. Which percentage represents this probability?

    • A.

      25%

    • B.

      50%

    • C.

      75%

    • D.

      100%

    Correct Answer
    C. 75%
    Explanation
    The probability of the offspring having a certain trait is given as 3/4. To convert this fraction into a percentage, we divide the numerator (3) by the denominator (4) and multiply by 100. This gives us 75%, which represents the probability of the offspring having the trait.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    The Punnett square shows the possible genotype combinations of two parents who are heterozygous for a particular trait. What is the probability of the parents having a child who is homozygous dominant for this trait?

    • A.

      25%

    • B.

      50%

    • C.

      75%

    • D.

      100%

    Correct Answer
    A. 25%
    Explanation
    The Punnett square is a tool used to predict the possible genotypes and phenotypes of offspring based on the genotypes of the parents. In this case, the parents are heterozygous for a particular trait, meaning they each carry one dominant allele and one recessive allele. When these parents reproduce, there is a 25% chance that they will both pass on their dominant alleles, resulting in a child who is homozygous dominant for the trait. This is because each parent has a 50% chance of passing on their dominant allele, and the chances of both parents passing on their dominant alleles are multiplied together (0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25, or 25%).

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    Suppose two parents are heterozygous for a genetically inherited dominant trait. What are the chances that they will have a kid together with this trait in his or her phenotype?

    • A.

      25%

    • B.

      50%

    • C.

      75%

    • D.

      100%

    Correct Answer
    C. 75%
    Explanation
    When two parents are heterozygous for a genetically inherited dominant trait, it means that they each carry one dominant allele and one recessive allele for that trait. In this case, there is a 25% chance that both parents will pass on their dominant alleles to the child, resulting in the child having the dominant trait in their phenotype. Therefore, the chances of the parents having a child with this trait in their phenotype is 75%.

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    Punnett squares are used to predict the probability of:

    • A.

      Having an inherited disease or a genetically determined physical trait

    • B.

      Being exposed to a contagious disease and contracting it

    • C.

      Both of the above

    • D.

      None of the above

    Correct Answer
    A. Having an inherited disease or a genetically determined physical trait
    Explanation
    Punnett squares are a tool used in genetics to predict the probability of inheriting certain traits or diseases. By analyzing the genetic makeup of parents, Punnett squares can help determine the likelihood of offspring inheriting specific traits or diseases. Therefore, the correct answer is "having an inherited disease or a genetically determined physical trait."

    Rate this question:

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.