How Much Do You Know About Heredity And Genetics? Trivia Quiz

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Mscarb72
M
Mscarb72
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 11 | Total Attempts: 81,328
Questions: 18 | Attempts: 6,986

SettingsSettingsSettings
How Much Do You Know About Heredity And Genetics? Trivia Quiz - Quiz

Heredity means passing of genetic personality traits, disorder, or information when you are born. In biological terms, traits passed from one generation to the next via DNA that encodes genetic information. This quiz has been made to ascertain whether your personality or physical characteristics resemble with your parents. So, let's learn and explore more about this topic and try out the quiz. All the best!


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    Gregor Mendel is often called:

    • A.

      The Father of Heredity

    • B.

      The King of Peas

    • C.

      The Father of Genetics

    Correct Answer
    C. The Father of Genetics
    Explanation
    Gregor Mendel is often referred to as "The Father of Genetics" because of his groundbreaking work on the inheritance patterns of pea plants. Through his experiments, Mendel discovered the principles of heredity, such as dominant and recessive traits, and formulated the laws of inheritance. His work laid the foundation for the field of genetics and revolutionized our understanding of how traits are passed down from one generation to the next. Mendel's contributions to the study of genetics earned him the title "The Father of Genetics."

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    Heredity is:

    • A.

      The process by which parents pass characteristics or traits on to their children.

    • B.

      Seen in plants, people and other organisms where there are parents and offspring.

    • C.

      A way that some diseases and disorders are passed from parents to offspring.

    • D.

      All of the above

    Correct Answer
    D. All of the above
    Explanation
    The correct answer is "All of the above". Heredity refers to the process by which parents pass characteristics or traits on to their children. This process is observed in plants, people, and other organisms where there are parents and offspring. Additionally, heredity is also a way that some diseases and disorders are passed from parents to offspring.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    What are genes?

    • A.

      Something that you wear on your legs.

    • B.

      Segments of DNA that carry instructions for the traits of the offspring.

    • C.

      Both A & B

    • D.

      None of the above

    Correct Answer
    B. Segments of DNA that carry instructions for the traits of the offspring.
    Explanation
    Genes are segments of DNA that carry instructions for the traits of the offspring. They are responsible for determining various characteristics and traits, such as eye color, height, and susceptibility to certain diseases. Genes are passed down from parents to their children and play a crucial role in the development and functioning of living organisms.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    The passing of traits from parents to offspring is called:

    • A.

      Hand me downs

    • B.

      Purebred

    • C.

      Heredity

    • D.

      Hybrid

    Correct Answer
    C. Heredity
    Explanation
    Heredity refers to the passing of traits from parents to offspring. It involves the transmission of genetic information from one generation to the next, resulting in the inheritance of characteristics such as physical features, behavior, and susceptibility to certain diseases. This process is essential for the continuity of species and plays a crucial role in evolution.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    An organism with two different alleles for a trait is said to be:

    • A.

      Recessive

    • B.

      Hybrid

    • C.

      Dominant

    • D.

      Purebred

    Correct Answer
    B. Hybrid
    Explanation
    An organism with two different alleles for a trait is said to be a hybrid. This is because a hybrid organism inherits two different alleles, or versions, of a gene for a particular trait from its parents. These different alleles can result in a combination of traits that is different from either parent. In contrast, a purebred organism has two identical alleles for a trait, while a dominant allele is one that is expressed over a recessive allele in determining the phenotype of an organism.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    An allele whose trait is masked in the presence of a dominant allele is:

    • A.

      Dominant

    • B.

      Recessive

    • C.

      Purebred

    • D.

      Hybrid

    Correct Answer
    B. Recessive
    Explanation
    A recessive allele is the correct answer because it refers to an allele that is not expressed when a dominant allele is present. In genetics, dominant alleles will always be expressed in the phenotype, while recessive alleles will only be expressed if there are no dominant alleles present. This means that the trait associated with the recessive allele will only be visible when an individual has two copies of the recessive allele, as it is masked or overridden by the dominant allele when present.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    The letter P in a "P" Generation stands for:

    • A.

      Pepsi

    • B.

      Probability

    • C.

      Punnett

    • D.

      Parent

    Correct Answer
    D. Parent
    Explanation
    In the context of genetics, a "P" generation refers to the parental generation. It is the first generation in a breeding experiment, where the parents are crossed to produce offspring. Therefore, the letter P in a "P" Generation stands for "Parent," as it represents the original individuals used in the breeding process.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    Heterozygous alleles are also considered to be:

    • A.

      Hybrid

    • B.

      Purebred

    • C.

      Phenotype

    • D.

      Genotype

    Correct Answer
    A. Hybrid
    Explanation
    Heterozygous alleles are considered to be hybrid because they contain two different versions of a gene, one inherited from each parent. This means that the individual carrying heterozygous alleles has a combination of traits from both parents, resulting in a hybrid genotype.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    A chart that shows all the possible combinations of alleles that can result from a genetic cross is called a:

    • A.

      Pascal triangle

    • B.

      Punnett Square

    • C.

      Purebred Cross

    • D.

      Hybrid Cross

    Correct Answer
    B. Punnett Square
    Explanation
    A Punnett Square is a chart used to show all the possible combinations of alleles that can result from a genetic cross. It is commonly used in genetics to predict the probability of certain traits being passed on to offspring. It is a visual representation that helps to determine the genotypes and phenotypes of the offspring based on the alleles present in the parents. The Punnett Square is a valuable tool in understanding and studying inheritance patterns in genetics.

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    What would be the results of a genetic cross between parents that have a BB and a Bb? (Making a chart will help)

    • A.

      BB, BB, Bb, Bb

    • B.

      BB, BB, BB, BB

    • C.

      BB, bb, BB, BB

    Correct Answer
    A. BB, BB, Bb, Bb
    Explanation
    The given correct answer shows the possible outcomes of a genetic cross between parents with genotypes BB and Bb. The first parent has two dominant alleles (BB) while the second parent has one dominant and one recessive allele (Bb). The possible combinations of alleles in the offspring are BB (dominant), BB (dominant), Bb (dominant), and Bb (dominant). This is because the dominant allele (B) masks the expression of the recessive allele (b). Therefore, the offspring will have either two dominant alleles (BB) or one dominant and one recessive allele (Bb).

    Rate this question:

  • 11. 

    If the results of a genetic cross were TT, TT, Tt, tt What would be the probability of getting a homozygous short? Note that T is dominant (tall) and t is recessive (short)

    • A.

      100%

    • B.

      75%

    • C.

      50%

    • D.

      25%

    Correct Answer
    D. 25%
    Explanation
    In this genetic cross, the genotype TT represents a homozygous tall individual, while the genotype tt represents a homozygous short individual. Since there is only one tt genotype out of the four possible genotypes (TT, TT, Tt, tt), the probability of getting a homozygous short individual is 1 out of 4, which is equivalent to 25%.

    Rate this question:

  • 12. 

    If the results of a genetic cross were TT, TT, Tt, tt What would be the probability of getting a purebred tall? Note that T is dominant (tall) and t is recessive (short)

    • A.

      100%

    • B.

      75%

    • C.

      50%

    • D.

      25%

    Correct Answer
    C. 50%
    Explanation
    In this genetic cross, the genotype of the parents must be Tt and Tt. The uppercase T represents the dominant allele for tallness, while the lowercase t represents the recessive allele for shortness. When two Tt individuals are crossed, there is a 25% chance of obtaining a purebred tall (TT), a 50% chance of obtaining a hybrid tall (Tt), and a 25% chance of obtaining a purebred short (tt). Therefore, the probability of getting a purebred tall is 25%, not 50%.

    Rate this question:

  • 13. 

    Which of the following is considered to be heterozygous?

    • A.

      TT

    • B.

      Tt

    • C.

      Tt

    Correct Answer
    B. Tt
    Explanation
    Heterozygous refers to having two different alleles for a particular gene. In this case, the alleles being referred to are T and t. The genotype TT represents a homozygous condition, where both alleles are the same (T). The genotype tt also represents a homozygous condition, but with both alleles being t. However, the genotype Tt represents a heterozygous condition, as it has one T allele and one t allele. Therefore, Tt is considered to be heterozygous.

    Rate this question:

  • 14. 

    It is NOT possible for two hybrid black rabbits (both Bb) to produce a white rabbit.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    B. False
    Explanation
    The statement is false because in the given scenario, both rabbits are hybrid black (Bb), which means they carry one dominant black allele (B) and one recessive white allele (b). When these two rabbits mate, there is a possibility for them to produce offspring with the genotype bb, which represents a homozygous recessive white rabbit. Therefore, it is possible for two hybrid black rabbits to produce a white rabbit.

    Rate this question:

  • 15. 

    Your body weight and your skin color are two traits that are:

    • A.

      Inherited

    • B.

      Influenced by your environment

    • C.

      Both A & B

    • D.

      None of the above

    Correct Answer
    C. Both A & B
    Explanation
    Both body weight and skin color are traits that can be influenced by a combination of genetics (inherited) and environmental factors. While genetics play a significant role in determining these traits, factors such as diet, exercise, and exposure to sunlight can also impact body weight and skin color. Therefore, the correct answer is "Both A & B."

    Rate this question:

  • 16. 

    Which of the following is an example of a genotype?

    • A.

      BB

    • B.

      Brown hair

    Correct Answer
    A. BB
    Explanation
    The given answer, BB, is an example of a genotype. Genotype refers to the specific combination of genes or alleles that an individual possesses for a particular trait. In this case, BB represents a homozygous genotype, indicating that both alleles for the trait are the same.

    Rate this question:

  • 17. 

    Which of the following is an example of a phenotype?

    • A.

      Blue eyes

    • B.

      Bb

    Correct Answer
    A. Blue eyes
    Explanation
    A phenotype refers to the observable traits or characteristics of an organism, which are determined by its genetic makeup (genotype) and environmental factors. Blue eyes are an example of a phenotype because they are a visible trait that can be observed and categorized. The genotype, on the other hand, refers to the specific genes or alleles that an organism possesses, such as the "bb" genotype mentioned in the question.

    Rate this question:

  • 18. 

    An inheritance pattern in which the alleles are neither dominant nor recessive is called:

    • A.

      Codominance

    • B.

      Codependant

    • C.

      Cooperative

    Correct Answer
    A. Codominance
    Explanation
    Codominance is the correct answer because it refers to an inheritance pattern where both alleles of a gene are expressed equally in the phenotype. In this pattern, neither allele is dominant or recessive over the other, resulting in a unique phenotype that shows traits from both alleles. This is different from dominant-recessive inheritance, where one allele is dominant and masks the expression of the recessive allele. Therefore, codominance accurately describes the inheritance pattern where alleles are neither dominant nor recessive.

    Rate this question:

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.