S Bob Genetics Quiz

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Phqeeyei
P
Phqeeyei
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 1 | Total Attempts: 76
Questions: 10 | Attempts: 76

SettingsSettingsSettings
S Bob Genetics Quiz - Quiz


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    Indicate if the genotype  TT is heterozygous (He) or homozygous (Ho).

    Correct Answer
    Ho
    Explanation
    The answer is Ho because the genotype TT represents a homozygous condition. In genetics, homozygous refers to having two identical alleles for a particular gene. In this case, both alleles are T, indicating that the individual has two copies of the same allele. Therefore, the genotype TT is homozygous.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    In Squidward's family, the blue body (B) is dominant over the green (b). Determine the phenotype for the following genotype: Bb 

    Correct Answer
    Blue body
    Explanation
    The given question states that in Squidward's family, the blue body (B) is dominant over the green (b). The genotype given is Bb. Since blue body is dominant, having even one copy of the blue body gene (B) will result in the phenotype of blue body. Therefore, the phenotype for the given genotype Bb is blue body.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    The word genotype refers to

    • A.

      Two variations of a gene that control one trait.

    • B.

      The physical description of a trait.

    • C.

      One variation of a gene that controls one trait.

    • D.

      Option 4

    Correct Answer
    A. Two variations of a gene that control one trait.
    Explanation
    The word genotype refers to two variations of a gene that control one trait. Genotype specifically refers to the genetic makeup of an organism, which includes the different versions or alleles of a gene that influence a particular trait. These variations can be dominant or recessive, and they determine the physical characteristics or phenotype of an individual. Therefore, the correct answer is "Two variations of a gene that control one trait."

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    What you can see in an organism is the expression of a dominant trait.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    A. True
    Explanation
    In an organism, the expression of a dominant trait refers to the visible or observable characteristics that are determined by dominant genes. Dominant traits are those that are more likely to be expressed in the presence of both dominant and recessive alleles. This means that if an organism carries a dominant allele for a particular trait, it will be visibly expressed in the organism's phenotype. Therefore, it is true that what can be seen in an organism is the expression of a dominant trait.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    Another word for heterozygous is ________.

    Correct Answer
    hybrid
    Explanation
    Heterozygous refers to an individual who has two different alleles for a particular gene. In genetics, this term is used to describe the condition when an organism inherits different versions of a gene from each parent. The word "hybrid" is synonymous with heterozygous because it implies the combination of two different genetic traits or alleles. Therefore, "hybrid" is an appropriate alternative term for heterozygous.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    The father of Genetics is Charles Darwin.

    • A.

      False

    • B.

      True

    Correct Answer
    A. False
    Explanation
    The father of Genetics is not Charles Darwin. While Darwin is known for his theory of evolution, the field of genetics was founded by Gregor Mendel. Mendel's experiments with pea plants in the mid-19th century laid the foundation for our understanding of inheritance and the principles of genetics. Darwin's work on natural selection and evolution was influential in shaping the field of biology, but he did not specifically focus on genetics. Therefore, the correct answer is false.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    If tall eyeballs (T) are dominant to short eyeballs (t) ,  the genotype  of Mr. Krabbs is ______ if he is a purebreed. 

    Correct Answer
    TT
    Explanation
    If tall eyeballs (T) are dominant to short eyeballs (t), and Mr. Krabbs is a purebred, it means that both of his alleles for the eyeball trait are the same. Since tall eyeballs are dominant, Mr. Krabbs must have the genotype TT, as there is no possibility of him having the recessive allele (t) if he is purebred.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    SpongeBob is known for his big round eyes (R). If he is heterozygous and marries SpongeAnn  that has oval eyes(r). Do the Punnet square on paper and answer: What are the chances of a baby with oval eyes?

    Correct Answer
    50%
    Explanation
    When SpongeBob is heterozygous for eye shape (Rr) and SpongeAnn has oval eyes (rr), the Punnett square would show that there is a 50% chance of a baby with oval eyes. This is because SpongeBob can pass on either the round eye allele (R) or the oval eye allele (r), while SpongeAnn can only pass on the oval eye allele (r). Therefore, half of the offspring will receive the oval eye allele from SpongeBob and have oval eyes.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    When two heterozygous reproduce, 75% of the offsprings will show the dominant trait and 25% the recessive trait.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    A. True
    Explanation
    When two individuals who are heterozygous (meaning they have one dominant and one recessive allele) reproduce, there is a 25% chance that their offspring will inherit two recessive alleles and display the recessive trait. Conversely, there is a 75% chance that the offspring will inherit at least one dominant allele and display the dominant trait. This is due to the principles of Mendelian inheritance, where dominant alleles mask the expression of recessive alleles. Therefore, the statement is true.

    Rate this question:

Quiz Review Timeline +

Our quizzes are rigorously reviewed, monitored and continuously updated by our expert board to maintain accuracy, relevance, and timeliness.

  • Current Version
  • Feb 28, 2023
    Quiz Edited by
    ProProfs Editorial Team
  • Feb 27, 2018
    Quiz Created by
    Phqeeyei

Related Topics

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.