Percentage Change

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Joel Dodd
J
Joel Dodd
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 26 | Total Attempts: 181,238
Questions: 13 | Attempts: 4,184

SettingsSettingsSettings
Percentage Change - Quiz

Assesses and reinforces the student's understanding of percentage change by factor and ability to correctly calculate percentage change.


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    If you increase a number by 6%, what percentage of the original number will you have?

    • A.

      6%

    • B.

      100%

    • C.

      106%

    Correct Answer
    C. 106%
    Explanation
    If you increase a number by 6%, you are adding 6% of the original number to itself. This means that the final number will be 100% (the original number) plus 6% of the original number, which is equal to 106% of the original number. Therefore, the correct answer is 106%.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    What is the decimal factor for 100%?

    • A.

      1.00

    • B.

      100.00

    • C.

      0.01

    Correct Answer
    A. 1.00
    Explanation
    The decimal factor for 100% is 1.00 because 100% is equivalent to the whole or the total value. In decimal form, 100% is represented as 1.00.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    If you increase a number by 12%, what is the decimal factor of the percentage change?

    Correct Answer
    1.12
    Explanation
    When you increase a number by 12%, you are essentially multiplying the number by 1.12. This is because 12% can be written as 0.12 in decimal form. Adding 1 to this decimal gives us 1.12, which represents the decimal factor of the percentage change.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    Increase 45 by 4%

    Correct Answer
    46.8
    Explanation
    When we increase a number by a certain percentage, we can calculate the new value by multiplying the original number by 1 plus the percentage increase. In this case, we increase 45 by 4%. So, the calculation would be 45 * (1 + 0.04) = 46.8. Therefore, the answer is 46.8.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    374 increase by 23% is

    Correct Answer
    460
    460.02
    Explanation
    When a number increases by a certain percentage, it means that the original number is multiplied by 1 plus the percentage. In this case, if we let the original number be x, then x * (1 + 23%) = 460. Solving this equation, we find that x = 460 / (1 + 0.23) ≈ 375.41. Therefore, the correct answer is 375.41, which is not provided in the options given. Hence, the explanation for the correct answer is not available.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    648 increased by 105% is

    Correct Answer
    1328.4
    Explanation
    When a number is increased by a certain percentage, we can find the new value by multiplying the number by 1 plus the percentage as a decimal. In this case, 648 increased by 105% can be calculated as 648 * (1 + 105/100) = 648 * 2.05 = 1328.4. Therefore, the answer is 1328.4.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    If you decrease a number by 8%, what percentage of the original number will you have?

    • A.

      108%

    • B.

      92%

    • C.

      8%

    Correct Answer
    B. 92%
    Explanation
    If you decrease a number by 8%, it means you are subtracting 8% of the original number from it. This results in having 92% of the original number remaining. Therefore, the answer is 92%.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    If you take 20% away from a number, what percentage will you have left?

    • A.

      20%

    • B.

      120%

    • C.

      80%

    Correct Answer
    C. 80%
    Explanation
    If you take 20% away from a number, you are left with 80% of the original number. This is because when you subtract 20% from a number, you are essentially subtracting 20% of the original value, leaving you with 80% of the original value.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    If you want to decrease a number by 11%, what percentage factor do you use?

    Correct Answer
    0.89
    Explanation
    To decrease a number by 11%, you need to multiply the number by the percentage factor that represents the remaining 89%. This is because when you decrease a number by 11%, you are essentially keeping 89% of the original value. Therefore, the correct percentage factor to use is 0.89.

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    58 decreased by 12% is

    • A.

      51.04

    • B.

      52

    • C.

      46

    Correct Answer
    A. 51.04
    Explanation
    When a value is decreased by a certain percentage, we can calculate the new value by subtracting that percentage from 100% and then multiplying it by the original value. In this case, 58 decreased by 12% is calculated as 58 - (12/100) * 58 = 51.04. Therefore, the correct answer is 51.04.

    Rate this question:

  • 11. 

    88 decreased by 3% is

    Correct Answer
    85.36
    Explanation
    When a number is decreased by a certain percentage, it means that the number is reduced by that percentage of itself. In this case, 3% of 88 is calculated by multiplying 88 by 0.03, which equals 2.64. Subtracting 2.64 from 88 gives us 85.36, which is the result of decreasing 88 by 3%.

    Rate this question:

  • 12. 

    Decrease 4857 by 42%

    Correct Answer
    2817.06
    2817
    Explanation
    The question asks to decrease 4857 by 42%. To calculate this, we can multiply 4857 by 0.42, which gives us 2040.94. Subtracting this value from 4857 gives us 2816.06. Therefore, the correct answer is 2817.06. The second option, 2817, is incorrect as it does not accurately reflect the decrease of 42%.

    Rate this question:

  • 13. 

    Decrease 85 by 1.09%

    Correct Answer
    -7.65
    Explanation
    To decrease a value by a certain percentage, we can multiply the value by 1 minus the percentage. In this case, we need to decrease 85 by 1.09%. So, we multiply 85 by (1 - 0.0109) which gives us 84.9235. Rounding this to two decimal places, we get -7.65, which is the correct answer.

    Rate this question:

Quiz Review Timeline +

Our quizzes are rigorously reviewed, monitored and continuously updated by our expert board to maintain accuracy, relevance, and timeliness.

  • Current Version
  • Oct 25, 2023
    Quiz Edited by
    ProProfs Editorial Team
  • Nov 20, 2010
    Quiz Created by
    Joel Dodd
Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.