Quiz: Everything You Should Know About The Hydrosphere!

14 Questions | Total Attempts: 2795

SettingsSettingsSettings
Please wait...
Quiz: Everything You Should Know About The Hydrosphere!

.


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 
    The water cycle describes the movement of water on Earth. About 96% of water is saltwater found in oceans while the remaining 4% is freshwater. Where would the majority of freshwater on Earth be found?
    • A. 

      Groundwater and aquifers

    • B. 

      Swamps and wetlands

    • C. 

      Icecaps and glaciers

    • D. 

      Lakes and rivers

  • 2. 
    Where is most of Earth's available freshwater stored? 
    • A. 

      Underground

    • B. 

      The atmosphere

    • C. 

      Lakes and rivers

    • D. 

      Icecaps and glaciers

  • 3. 
    What land use would be the best choice for watershed drainage?
    • A. 

      Mall

    • B. 

      Wetland

    • C. 

      Recreational area

    • D. 

      Parking lot

  • 4. 
    What is the large area of land that drains all of its water to a river when the surface is saturated?
    • A. 

      River basin

    • B. 

      Watershed

    • C. 

      Estuary

    • D. 

      Aquifer

  • 5. 
    Groundwater supplies are stored in
    • A. 

      Watersheds

    • B. 

      Lakes and rivers

    • C. 

      River basins

    • D. 

      Aquifers

  • 6. 
    Which of the following practices is not a good way to conserve water?
    • A. 

      Take showers that last 5-10 minutes

    • B. 

      Wash only full loads of laundry

    • C. 

      Keep the water running while washing dishes

    • D. 

      Turn the water off when brushing teeth

  • 7. 
    How can the atmosphere be considered part of the hydrosphere?  
    • A. 

      It is a source of water.

    • B. 

      It blocks ultraviolet rays from the sun.

    • C. 

      It contains the oxygen necessary for life on Earth.

    • D. 

      It traps pollutants that would otherwise harm the earth.

  • 8. 
    Which best explains why so little of the water on Earth is available for human use?
    • A. 

      97% of total water on Earth is freshwater, and most of the remaining 3% is salt water in the ocean basins

    • B. 

      97% of total water on Earth is salt water, and most of the remaining 3% is freshwater frozen in ice caps and glaciers.

    • C. 

      97% of total water on Earth is freshwater, and most of the remaining 3% is salt water found in underground aquifers.

    • D. 

      97% of total water on Earth is salt water, and most of the remaining 3% is freshwater found in lakes, rivers, and ponds.

  • 9. 
    Which statement best compares the amount of water present on Earth today to the amount present millions of years ago?
    • A. 

      Slightly more water on Earth today

    • B. 

      Significantly less water on Earth today

    • C. 

      Significantly more water on Earth today

    • D. 

      About the same amount of water today

  • 10. 
    When referring to groundwater, (1)___ refers to the volume percentage of pore space that can fill up with water, whereas (2)____ refers to the ability of water to flow through rock.  
    • A. 

      Permeability, porosity

    • B. 

      Permeability, infiltration capacity

    • C. 

      Porosity, infiltration capacity

    • D. 

      Porosity, permeability

  • 11. 
     Which statement best explains the reason some insects can walk across the surface of a lake?  
    • A. 

      Water is a polar molecule, and its adhesiveness causes good capillary action.

    • B. 

      Water is a non-polar molecule, and its cohesiveness causes good capillary action.

    • C. 

      Water is a polar molecule, and its cohesiveness causes high surface tension.

    • D. 

      Water is a non-polar molecule and its adhesiveness provides high surface tension.

  • 12. 
    Which best describes the process by which water from the ocean enters the atomosphere?  
    • A. 

      Infiltration

    • B. 

      Precipitation

    • C. 

      Evaporation

    • D. 

      Condensation

  • 13. 
    Which best explains the relationship between water stored in the ocean and water stored in groundwater?
    • A. 

      Water stored in ground water enters the ocean directly as discharge, but ocean water does not enter groundwater

    • B. 

      Water stored in the ocean remains separate from water stored in groundwater, and the two sources of water do not interact

    • C. 

      Water from the ocean enters groundwater directly through the soil by infiltration, but groundwater does not enter the ocean water

    • D. 

      Water from the ocean evaporates condenses, and forms precipitation which enters groundwater through the soil by infiltration, but groundwater enters the ocean directly as discharge.

  • 14. 
    Which topic is this quiz for?
    • A. 

      Atmosphere

    • B. 

      Hydrosphere

    • C. 

      Lithosphere

    • D. 

      Omnisphere

Back to Top Back to top