Do You Have Basic Knowledge About Genetics? Quiz

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Joshua Fridlund
J
Joshua Fridlund
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 2 | Total Attempts: 646
Questions: 10 | Attempts: 309

SettingsSettingsSettings
Do You Have Basic Knowledge About Genetics? Quiz - Quiz

One of the best ways to understand the human body is through understanding the genetics of your patients and their family tree. The study of genetics has improved a lot of things when it comes to medicine and illness predictions. How knowledgeable are you when it comes to this study/ take up the quiz and get to find out. All the best!


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    Which of these was Gregor Mendel not know as?

    • A.

      Father of Genetics

    • B.

      Monk

    • C.

      Botanist

    • D.

      Australian

    Correct Answer
    D. Australian
    Explanation
    Gregor Mendel was not known as Australian because he was actually an Austrian scientist. Mendel is widely recognized as the Father of Genetics due to his groundbreaking work on pea plants, where he discovered the principles of inheritance. Additionally, he was a monk and a botanist, which further contributed to his studies in genetics and plant breeding. However, there is no association between Gregor Mendel and Australia.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    What does monohybrid mean?

    • A.

      Cross of one trait

    • B.

      Cross of two traits

    Correct Answer
    A. Cross of one trait
    Explanation
    Monohybrid refers to the cross or breeding of organisms that differ in only one trait or characteristic. In this context, it means the cross of one trait, indicating that the breeding involves individuals with different variations of a single characteristic. This term is commonly used in genetics to study the inheritance patterns of specific traits in offspring.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    Which of the following was not a name Mendel gave to his pea plant generations?

    • A.

      P1

    • B.

      P2

    • C.

      F1

    • D.

      F2

    Correct Answer
    B. P2
    Explanation
    Mendel did not give the name P2 to his pea plant generations. He used the terms P1, F1, and F2 to refer to the parental generation, the first filial generation, and the second filial generation, respectively. The term P2 is not commonly used in Mendelian genetics to describe pea plant generations.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    Which of the following was not a dominant trait in peas

    • A.

      Tall stems

    • B.

      Short Stems

    • C.

      Purple Flowers

    • D.

      All of these are dominant

    Correct Answer
    B. Short Stems
    Explanation
    Short stems were not a dominant trait in peas. This means that the majority of pea plants did not have short stems. Instead, tall stems were the dominant trait in peas. This means that if a pea plant had at least one allele for tall stems, it would have tall stems. Purple flowers were also a dominant trait in peas, meaning that if a pea plant had at least one allele for purple flowers, it would have purple flowers. Therefore, the correct answer is short stems.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    What is the study of heredity?

    • A.

      Genealogy

    • B.

      Gene therapy

    • C.

      Genes

    • D.

      Genetics

    Correct Answer
    D. Genetics
    Explanation
    Genetics is the correct answer because it is the study of heredity, which involves the study of genes and how traits are passed down from one generation to another. It encompasses the study of DNA, chromosomes, and genetic variations, and it helps in understanding how genetic factors contribute to the development of traits, diseases, and disorders. Genealogy refers to the study of family history and ancestry, while gene therapy focuses on using genes to treat or prevent diseases. Genes are the specific segments of DNA that carry genetic information.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    What is the name for the carrier for a single trait?

    • A.

      Gene

    • B.

      Chromosome

    • C.

      Allele

    • D.

      Gamete

    Correct Answer
    C. Allele
    Explanation
    An allele is the name for the carrier of a single trait. It refers to the different forms of a gene that can exist. Each individual has two alleles for each gene, one inherited from each parent. These alleles can be either dominant or recessive, and they determine the expression of a particular trait in an individual. Therefore, allele is the correct answer for the carrier of a single trait.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    Which of these is not a reason Mendel chose pea plants?

    • A.

      Their breeding is easy to control

    • B.

      They produce a lot of offspring

    • C.

      They have distinct traits

    • D.

      They have pretty flowers

    Correct Answer
    D. They have pretty flowers
    Explanation
    Mendel did not choose pea plants because they have pretty flowers. This is not a relevant factor in his selection process. Instead, he chose pea plants because their breeding is easy to control, they produce a lot of offspring, and they have distinct traits.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    Which of the following would be the Alleles for a pea plant that is heterozygous for height?

    • A.

      TT

    • B.

      Tt

    • C.

      Tt

    • D.

      None of these are heterozygous for height

    Correct Answer
    B. Tt
    Explanation
    The correct answer is Tt because heterozygous means having two different alleles for a particular trait, in this case, height. The uppercase T represents the dominant allele for tall height, while the lowercase t represents the recessive allele for short height. Therefore, Tt represents a pea plant that is heterozygous for height, with one allele for tall height and one allele for short height.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    Which of the following would be the Alleles for a pea plant that is homozygous recessive for height?

    • A.

      TT

    • B.

      Tt

    • C.

      Tt

    • D.

      None of these are homozygous recessive for height

    Correct Answer
    B. Tt
    Explanation
    The correct answer is "tt" because a pea plant that is homozygous recessive for height would have two identical recessive alleles for height, which in this case is represented by "t".

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    What is the genotypic ratio of a cross between two heterozygous individuals

    • A.

      4:0

    • B.

      1:1

    • C.

      1:2:1

    • D.

      3:1

    Correct Answer
    C. 1:2:1
    Explanation
    The genotypic ratio of a cross between two heterozygous individuals is 1:2:1. This means that in the offspring, there is a 25% chance of getting a homozygous dominant genotype, a 50% chance of getting a heterozygous genotype, and a 25% chance of getting a homozygous recessive genotype. This ratio is based on the principles of Mendelian genetics, where alleles segregate independently during gamete formation and combine randomly during fertilization.

    Rate this question:

Quiz Review Timeline +

Our quizzes are rigorously reviewed, monitored and continuously updated by our expert board to maintain accuracy, relevance, and timeliness.

  • Current Version
  • Mar 21, 2023
    Quiz Edited by
    ProProfs Editorial Team
  • Feb 07, 2019
    Quiz Created by
    Joshua Fridlund

Related Topics

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.