Water Cycle Quiz Ultimate Trivia Questions!

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Gabrielle_merrit
G
Gabrielle_merrit
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 1 | Total Attempts: 255
Questions: 6 | Attempts: 255

SettingsSettingsSettings
Water Cycle Quizzes & Trivia

Science is a fascinating subject, and it gives us answers to some things that we see as usual or can’t explain. The water cycle is quite exciting and a necessity on earth. What do you know already about the water cycle? Do you know about the stages water goes through continuously? If you doubt what you know the ultimate quiz on the period is precisely what you need. Try it!


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    What is it called when the water vapour goes up into the clouds?

    Explanation
    Evaporation is the process in which water changes from a liquid state to a gas state, forming water vapor. When water evaporates from bodies of water or moist surfaces, it rises into the atmosphere and can eventually condense to form clouds. Therefore, the process described in the question is evaporation.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    Name another stage of the basic water cycle, other than evaporation.

    Explanation
    Another stage of the basic water cycle is precipitation. Precipitation refers to the process where water vapor in the atmosphere condenses into liquid or solid form and falls to the Earth's surface in the form of rain, snow, sleet, or hail. This stage is essential for replenishing the Earth's water supply and plays a crucial role in maintaining the water cycle.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    How much of the Earth's surface is covered in water?

    • A.

      30%

    • B.

      50%

    • C.

      70%

    • D.

      15%

    Correct Answer
    C. 70%
    Explanation
    70% of the Earth's surface is covered in water. This is a well-known fact supported by scientific research and observations. The Earth is often referred to as the "Blue Planet" because of its vast oceans and seas. The remaining 30% of the Earth's surface is comprised of landmasses, including continents and islands. The high percentage of water coverage is due to the presence of large oceans like the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, and Southern Ocean, as well as numerous smaller bodies of water.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    How much of the Earth's water is fresh?

    • A.

      10%

    • B.

      65%

    • C.

      3%

    • D.

      25%

    Correct Answer
    C. 3%
    Explanation
    Only 3% of the Earth's water is fresh. The majority of the Earth's water, about 97%, is saltwater found in the oceans. This small percentage of fresh water is mainly found in glaciers, ice caps, and underground aquifers. It is a limited and valuable resource that is essential for various purposes such as drinking, agriculture, and industrial use.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    What is the water cycle powered by?

    • A.

      Moon

    • B.

      Clouds

    • C.

      Sun

    • D.

      Oceans

    Correct Answer
    C. Sun
    Explanation
    The water cycle is powered by the Sun. The Sun's heat causes water on the Earth's surface to evaporate and rise into the atmosphere as water vapor. This water vapor then cools and condenses to form clouds. Eventually, the clouds release the condensed water in the form of precipitation, such as rain or snow. This water then flows into rivers, lakes, and oceans, completing the water cycle. The Sun's energy is crucial in driving this continuous cycle of evaporation, condensation, and precipitation.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    Approximately 50 per cent of the world's lakes are located in Canada. True or False?

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    A. True
    Explanation
    Canada is known for its vast number of lakes, making it the country with the highest number of lakes in the world. With over 2 million lakes, Canada accounts for approximately 50 percent of the world's lakes. Therefore, the statement is true.

    Rate this question:

Quiz Review Timeline +

Our quizzes are rigorously reviewed, monitored and continuously updated by our expert board to maintain accuracy, relevance, and timeliness.

  • Current Version
  • Mar 21, 2023
    Quiz Edited by
    ProProfs Editorial Team
  • Mar 04, 2015
    Quiz Created by
    Gabrielle_merrit

Related Topics

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.