A decentralized grassroots network of community organizers and activists.
A chapter-based organization with individual chapters in over 30 U.S. states and global locations.
An internet hashtag created by racial justice activists.
A 21st century U.S. human rights movement centered on legacies of state-sanctioned violence against black people in the U.S. and abroad.
All of the above.
The death of teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.
The acquittal of officer Darren Wilson in his trial for the killing of teenager Michael Brown.
The acquittal of George Zimmerman in his trial for the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin.
The Grand Jury non-indictment of officer Darren Wilson in the case involving the killing of teenager Michael Brown.
The death of Sandra Bland, a U.S. citizen who died in police custody in the state of Texas.
It was founded by the media in response to the events surrounding the Ferguson, Missouri uprisings.
1. Black Lives Matter is a civil rights movement advocating for an end to police brutality.
2. Black Lives Matter is a human rights movement advocating for an end to the long history of state-sanctioned violence against black people, including but not limited to police violence.
3. Black Lives Matter is a segregationist movement advocating for a return to “separate but equal.”
4. Black Lives Matter is an anti-police movement.
All of the above.
1. Abolitionist movements are typically focused exclusively on the dismantling of corrupt institutions. In other words, the primary goal of abolitionism is the tearing down of unjust institutions
2. Abolitionist movements are not typically focused exclusively on the dismantling of corrupt institutions, but also in building new worlds and equitable alternatives. In other words, abolitionism is as much about creating new systems—as it is about tearing down existing ones.
The problem is, Black lives do not matter.
The problem with the phrase #AllLivesMatter is not that the statement is untrue, but rather it is typically only deployed as a way of dismissing the specific concerns that the #BlackLivesMatter movement is attempting to address.
The problem is, White lives do not matter.
There is no problem with this phrase. It is completely accurate.
The Dream Defenders
Million Hoodies Movement
The Movement for Black Lives
Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometti
Deray McKesson and Brittany Ferrell
Umi Selah and Aja Monet
BlackLivesMatter does not have a "President," or any hierarchical leadership structure.
A 28-year-old black woman who died in police custody in Waller County, Texas,
A 23 year old black woman fatally shot by Baltimore County, Maryland, police during a standoff in Randallstown.
A 22-year-old African-American woman, fatally shot in Chicago, Illinois, by an off-dutypolice officer.
A 37 year old black woman who was killed by Cleveland police after being physically restrained in a prone position.
A 17 year old teenager killed by a local vigilante, George Zimmerman.
A 12 year old child killed by the Cleveland police for playing with a toy gun.
A 17 year old teenager killed by police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri.
A 25 year man who died in police custody in Baltimore, Maryland.
Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Johnetta Elzie
Deray McKesson, Alicia Garza, and Umi Selah
Brittney Ferrel, Alexis Templeton, and Patrisse Cullors
Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi