Plasma is 90% water with the remainder being dissolved materials:
A. Blood proteins
C. Excretory materials
D. Antibodies and antitoxins
Plasma is the liquid component of blood and it consists of approximately 90% water. The remaining 10% is made up of dissolved materials, which include blood proteins, excretory materials, and antibodies and antitoxins. Blood proteins are essential for various functions such as clotting, transport of nutrients, and defense against infections. Excretory materials are waste products that are eliminated from the body through urine or sweat. Antibodies and antitoxins are part of the immune system and help in fighting against pathogens and toxins.
Serum is plasma which has had the clotting agent fibrinogen removed.
Serum is a component of blood that is obtained after the removal of fibrinogen, the clotting agent, from plasma. This process leaves behind a clear, yellowish fluid that is rich in various proteins, electrolytes, hormones, and antibodies. Therefore, the statement that serum is plasma with fibrinogen removed is correct.
The heart has five chambers.
The heart actually has four chambers, not five. The four chambers are the left and right atria, and the left and right ventricles. The atria receive blood from the body and lungs, while the ventricles pump blood out to the body and lungs.
Weighing around ______ it beats 2,500,000,000 times over an average lifetime and pumps ______ litres of blood.
D. 300g, 340 million
The correct answer is 300g, 340 million. The human heart weighs around 300g and beats approximately 2,500,000,000 times over an average lifetime. It also pumps around 340 million litres of blood.
Pathogenic bacteria are recognised by the shape of the cell namely: (Select three)
The question is asking for the shapes of pathogenic bacteria. The correct answer choices are Bacilli, Spirillae, and Actinomycetes. Bacilli are rod-shaped bacteria, Spirillae are spiral-shaped bacteria, and Actinomycetes are filamentous bacteria. These shapes are commonly associated with pathogenic bacteria and can help in their identification and classification. Coli is not a shape of bacteria, but a specific species of bacteria (Escherichia coli) commonly found in the intestines of humans and animals.
The skin of the foot can be adequately prepared for minor surface procedures by the application of any one of a number of substances: (Select three)
A. Surgical Spirits
The skin of the foot can be adequately prepared for minor surface procedures by the application of Surgical Spirits, CX1, and Chloroxylenol. These substances are commonly used for their antiseptic properties, which help to clean and disinfect the skin, reducing the risk of infection during the procedure. Surgical Spirits, also known as rubbing alcohol, is a common antiseptic used to clean the skin. CX1 and Chloroxylenol are also antiseptics that are effective in killing bacteria and preventing infection. Therefore, using any of these substances can ensure that the foot is properly prepared for minor surface procedures.