Elements Of Population Quiz! Trivia

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Nyssa007
N
Nyssa007
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 6 | Total Attempts: 5,912
Questions: 23 | Attempts: 1,761

SettingsSettingsSettings
Elements Of Population Quiz! Trivia - Quiz

The world has over seven billion people to date, and Asia is the most populated continent globally. There are different ways in which one can use to calculate the population in a given region, which we have covered in the last few weeks. The quick quiz will test out what you have understood about the population element. Give it a shot, and best of luck!


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    When all the elements in a population are included in a study, the result is a _____.

    • A.

      Poll

    • B.

      Census

    • C.

      Sample

    • D.

      Sampling frame

    • E.

      Probability sample

    Correct Answer
    B. Census
    Explanation
    When all the elements in a population are included in a study, the result is a census. A census is a method of data collection that aims to gather information from every individual or item in a population. It provides a complete and accurate representation of the entire population, allowing for comprehensive analysis and decision-making. Unlike a sample, which only includes a subset of the population, a census ensures that no group or individual is left out, providing a more reliable and inclusive result.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    The list of elements in a population from which the sample is actually drawn is known as the _____.

    • A.

      Sampling frame

    • B.

      Population extent

    • C.

      Database

    • D.

      Sampling base

    • E.

      Population directory

    Correct Answer
    A. Sampling frame
    Explanation
    The list of elements in a population from which the sample is actually drawn is known as the sampling frame. This is the complete list of individuals or items that make up the population and serves as the basis for selecting a representative sample. The sampling frame ensures that every member of the population has an equal chance of being included in the sample, thus increasing the validity and generalizability of the findings.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members. In the Hilton example, the individual club members represent the _____.

    • A.

      Population

    • B.

      Sample

    • C.

      Sampling frame

    • D.

      Population element

    • E.

      Census

    Correct Answer
    D. Population element
    Explanation
    In the Hilton example, the individual club members represent the population element. The population element refers to the individual units or elements that make up the entire population being studied. In this case, the population element refers to each individual Hilton Honors club member, whether they are loyal to the Hilton brand or not. The study aims to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members, which includes all the individual club members who are not currently loyal to the Hilton brand.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members. In the Hilton example, the Hilton Honors membership list represents the _____.

    • A.

      Sample

    • B.

      Sampling frame

    • C.

      Population

    • D.

      Population element

    • E.

      Target population

    Correct Answer
    B. Sampling frame
    Explanation
    The Hilton Honors membership list represents the sampling frame because it includes all the members of the Hilton Honors club, which is the group from which the sample will be selected for the study on brand loyalty.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members. In the Hilton example, the population for the study is _____.

    • A.

      Travelers requiring overnight lodging

    • B.

      Guests at Hilton-brand hotels

    • C.

      Hilton Honors club members

    • D.

      The top 10% of Hilton Honors club members

    • E.

      The 90% of Hilton Honors club members who are not brand loyal

    Correct Answer
    C. Hilton Honors club members
    Explanation
    The population for the study in the Hilton example is Hilton Honors club members. This is because the study aims to understand how to increase loyalty among the club members, indicating that the target population consists of these specific individuals.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members. The Hilton organization is considering a survey about factors affecting brand loyalty that will be sent to all of its Hilton Honors club members. This is an example of a _____.

    • A.

      Population

    • B.

      Sample

    • C.

      Extent

    • D.

      Census

    • E.

      General population survey

    Correct Answer
    D. Census
    Explanation
    The Hilton organization is considering conducting a survey about factors affecting brand loyalty that will be sent to all of its Hilton Honors club members. A census is a study that collects data from the entire population of interest, in this case, all Hilton Honors club members. Therefore, the given answer "census" is the correct explanation.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members.In the Hilton example, the sampling frame is made up of the _____.

    • A.

      List of Hilton Honors club members

    • B.

      List of guests staying at any Hilton hotel during a designated period of time

    • C.

      List of the top 10% of Hilton Honors club members

    • D.

      List of the 90% of Hilton Honors members who are not brand loyal

    • E.

      List of guests at Hilton's top competitors

    Correct Answer
    A. List of Hilton Honors club members
    Explanation
    The sampling frame in the Hilton example is made up of the list of Hilton Honors club members. This means that the study will be conducted among the members of the Hilton Honors club, which is the target population for the research on brand loyalty. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the 90% of club members who are not brand loyal, so it is important to have a sampling frame that includes all club members.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members.Hilton plans to send surveys to 10,000 Hilton Honors club members. This group of people is known as the _____.

    • A.

      Sampling frame

    • B.

      Population

    • C.

      Census

    • D.

      Sample

    • E.

      Population element

    Correct Answer
    D. Sample
    Explanation
    The group of 10,000 Hilton Honors club members to whom Hilton plans to send surveys is known as a sample. A sample is a subset of the population that is selected for research or study purposes. In this case, Hilton is selecting a smaller group of club members to survey in order to gather information about the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. By studying this sample, Hilton hopes to gain insights that can be applied to the larger population of club members and increase loyalty among the other 90%.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    Which of the following terms refers to the variation in measures due to some known or unknown influence that causes the scores to skew in one direction or another?

    • A.

      Precision

    • B.

      Standard error

    • C.

      Systematic variance

    • D.

      Sampling error

    • E.

      Random error

    Correct Answer
    C. Systematic variance
    Explanation
    Systematic variance refers to the variation in measures that occurs due to some known or unknown influence that causes the scores to skew in one direction or another. This means that there is a consistent and predictable factor that is affecting the measurements and causing them to deviate from the true value. It is different from random error, which refers to the variation that occurs due to chance factors and is not consistent or predictable.

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    Assuming that the sampling frame is appropriate, systematic variance can be minimized in a study by _____.

    • A.

      Decreasing the sample size

    • B.

      Increasing the sample size

    • C.

      Contacting nonrespondents

    • D.

      Increasing response rates

    • E.

      Matching

    Correct Answer
    B. Increasing the sample size
    Explanation
    Increasing the sample size can minimize systematic variance in a study. Systematic variance refers to the variability in the data that is caused by factors other than random sampling error. By increasing the sample size, there is a higher likelihood of capturing a representative sample of the population, which helps to reduce the impact of any systematic factors that may be present. With a larger sample size, the estimates obtained from the study are likely to be more accurate and reliable, as they are less influenced by systematic variations in the data.

    Rate this question:

  • 11. 

    Sampling error refers to _____.

    • A.

      Differences between the sample statistics and the population's parameters caused by random fluctuations inherent in the sampling process

    • B.

      Bias caused by using a poor sampling frame

    • C.

      Error created by systematic variance

    • D.

      Differences between the results of a census and the population's parameters

    • E.

      Error created by differences between those who respond to the survey and those who do not

    Correct Answer
    A. Differences between the sample statistics and the population's parameters caused by random fluctuations inherent in the sampling process
    Explanation
    Sampling error refers to differences between the sample statistics and the population's parameters caused by random fluctuations inherent in the sampling process. This means that when we take a sample from a population, the statistics we calculate from the sample may not perfectly represent the parameters of the entire population due to random variability. Sampling error is a natural part of the sampling process and can be minimized by using appropriate sampling techniques and increasing the sample size. It is important to consider sampling error when making inferences about a population based on a sample.

    Rate this question:

  • 12. 

    With what does one measure the degree of precision of a sample estimate?

    • A.

      Feasibility studies

    • B.

      Census comparisons

    • C.

      Unstandardized coefficients

    • D.

      Standard error of the estimate

    • E.

      Significance indicators

    Correct Answer
    D. Standard error of the estimate
    Explanation
    The degree of precision of a sample estimate is measured with the standard error of the estimate. The standard error of the estimate represents the average amount by which the estimated values may differ from the true values. It provides a measure of the accuracy and reliability of the sample estimate, with a smaller standard error indicating a more precise estimate. The other options mentioned, such as feasibility studies, census comparisons, unstandardized coefficients, and significance indicators, are not directly related to measuring the degree of precision of a sample estimate.

    Rate this question:

  • 13. 

    The standard error of the estimate is a type of measure of _____

    • A.

      Central tendency

    • B.

      Accuracy

    • C.

      Significance

    • D.

      Confidence

    • E.

      Standard deviation

    Correct Answer
    E. Standard deviation
    Explanation
    The standard error of the estimate is a measure of the variability or dispersion of the data points around the regression line. It provides an indication of how close the predicted values are to the actual values. Therefore, the correct answer is "accuracy" as it represents the degree of precision or correctness of the estimated values.

    Rate this question:

  • 14. 

    Which word below best describes nonprobability sampling?

    • A.

      Subjective

    • B.

      Objective

    • C.

      Random

    • D.

      Systematic

    • E.

      Generalizable

    Correct Answer
    A. Subjective
    Explanation
    Nonprobability sampling refers to a sampling technique where the selection of individuals is based on subjective criteria rather than random or objective methods. In this type of sampling, the researcher relies on their judgment or personal preferences to choose participants, which can introduce bias into the sample. Therefore, the word "subjective" best describes nonprobability sampling.

    Rate this question:

  • 15. 

    Which term below refers to a controlled procedure that assures that each population element is given a known nonzero chance of selection into the sample?

    • A.

      Nonprobability sampling

    • B.

      Random selection

    • C.

      Systematic selection

    • D.

      Judgment sampling

    • E.

      Statistical selection

    Correct Answer
    B. Random selection
    Explanation
    Random selection refers to a controlled procedure that ensures that each population element has a known nonzero chance of being selected into the sample. This means that every element in the population has an equal opportunity to be chosen, without any bias or predetermined selection criteria. Random selection is a fundamental principle in sampling, as it helps to minimize the potential for sampling errors and ensures that the sample is representative of the population.

    Rate this question:

  • 16. 

    Estimates of precision are possible with _____ samples.

    • A.

      Nonprobability

    • B.

      Probability

    • C.

      Judgement

    • D.

      Quoata

    • E.

      All of the above

    Correct Answer
    B. Probability
    Explanation
    Estimates of precision are possible with probability samples because probability sampling ensures that each member of the population has an equal chance of being selected for the sample. This allows for the calculation of sampling error and confidence intervals, which are measures of precision. Nonprobability samples do not provide the same level of precision because they do not guarantee equal representation of the population. Judgment and quota sampling also do not provide the same level of precision as probability sampling.

    Rate this question:

  • 17. 

    Which term below refers to a controlled, randomized procedure that assures that each population element is given a known, nonzero chance of selection into a study's sample?

    • A.

      Census

    • B.

      Nonprobability sampling

    • C.

      Probability sampling

    • D.

      Element selection

    • E.

      Purposive sampling

    Correct Answer
    C. Probability sampling
    Explanation
    Probability sampling refers to a controlled, randomized procedure that ensures each population element has a known, nonzero chance of being selected into a study's sample. This method allows for the generalization of findings from the sample to the larger population, as it provides a fair and unbiased representation of the population. It involves techniques such as simple random sampling, stratified sampling, and cluster sampling, which aim to minimize selection bias and increase the reliability and validity of the study's results.

    Rate this question:

  • 18. 

    _____ are summary descriptors of variables of interest in the population.

    • A.

      Sample statistics

    • B.

      Population parameters

    • C.

      Systematic estimates

    • D.

      Standard errors

    • E.

      Standardized coefficients

    Correct Answer
    B. Population parameters
    Explanation
    Population parameters are summary descriptors of variables of interest in the population. They provide information about the entire population rather than just a sample. Population parameters are typically unknown and are estimated using sample statistics. These parameters include measures such as the population mean, population variance, and population proportion. By understanding population parameters, researchers can make inferences and draw conclusions about the population based on the sample data.

    Rate this question:

  • 19. 

    Which term below refers to the descriptors of variables computed from sample data used to estimate those same variables in the population?

    • A.

      Sample statistics

    • B.

      Population parameters

    • C.

      Systematic estimates

    • D.

      Standard errors

    • E.

      Standardized coefficients

    Correct Answer
    A. Sample statistics
    Explanation
    Sample statistics refers to the descriptors of variables computed from sample data used to estimate those same variables in the population. These statistics provide information about the characteristics of the sample and are used to make inferences about the population. They include measures such as the mean, standard deviation, and correlation coefficients.

    Rate this question:

  • 20. 

    When the variables of interest are measured on nominal or ordinal scales, what should be used to estimate population proportion?

    • A.

      Standard error

    • B.

      Standard deviation

    • C.

      Sample proportion of incidence (p)

    • D.

      Sample proportion of incidence (p) * 1-(p)

    • E.

      Sample statistic

    Correct Answer
    D. Sample proportion of incidence (p) * 1-(p)
    Explanation
    When the variables of interest are measured on nominal or ordinal scales, the appropriate measure to estimate population proportion is the sample proportion of incidence (p) multiplied by 1-(p). This is because the sample proportion of incidence provides an estimate of the proportion of the population that possesses a certain characteristic, and multiplying it by 1-(p) helps to account for the uncertainty in the estimation process. This calculation helps to provide a more accurate estimate of the population proportion when dealing with nominal or ordinal data.

    Rate this question:

  • 21. 

    When the variables of interest are measured on nominal or ordinal scales, what should be used to estimate population variance?

    • A.

      Standard error

    • B.

      Standard deviation

    • C.

      Sample proportion of incidence (p)

    • D.

      Sample proportion of incidence (p) * 1-(p)

    • E.

      Sample statistic

    Correct Answer
    D. Sample proportion of incidence (p) * 1-(p)
    Explanation
    When the variables of interest are measured on nominal or ordinal scales, the appropriate measure to estimate population variance is the sample proportion of incidence (p) multiplied by 1 minus p. This formula is used because it takes into account the probability of each category occurring and provides an estimate of the variance based on the observed proportions. It is particularly useful when dealing with categorical data where the variables do not have a numerical relationship. The standard error, standard deviation, and sample statistic are not suitable for estimating population variance in this case.

    Rate this question:

  • 22. 

    The most frequent proportion measure is the _____.

    • A.

      Mean

    • B.

      Standard deviation

    • C.

      Mode

    • D.

      Correlation

    • E.

      Percentage

    Correct Answer
    E. Percentage
    Explanation
    The most frequent proportion measure is the percentage. This measure is commonly used to express a part or proportion of a whole as a percentage, which represents the relative amount or frequency of something in relation to the total. It is often used in statistics, surveys, and data analysis to provide a clear and easily understandable representation of the data.

    Rate this question:

  • 23. 

    Hilton Hotels wishes to conduct a study on the determinants of brand loyalty among Hilton Hotel customers. The Hilton organization estimates that 10% of its 2, 600,000 Hilton Honors club members are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. However, the remaining members may choose other hotel brands at times. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members. In a follow-up survey to the Hilton study on brand loyalty, the organization plans to focus solely on estimating the attributes of the 10% of Hilton Honors members who are thought to be brand loyal. In this example, 10% is the _____.

    • A.

      Sample statistic

    • B.

      Population parameter

    • C.

      Population variance

    • D.

      Population proportion of incidence

    • E.

      Sampling frame

    Correct Answer
    D. Population proportion of incidence
    Explanation
    In this example, the 10% represents the population proportion of incidence. It refers to the proportion of Hilton Honors club members who are loyal to the Hilton brand wherever they travel. The organization wants to understand how to increase loyalty among the other 90% of club members, indicating that they are specifically interested in the proportion of brand loyal members within the population. Therefore, the 10% is the population proportion of incidence.

    Rate this question:

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.