Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms Trivia Quiz

Approved & Edited by ProProfs Editorial Team
The editorial team at ProProfs Quizzes consists of a select group of subject experts, trivia writers, and quiz masters who have authored over 10,000 quizzes taken by more than 100 million users. This team includes our in-house seasoned quiz moderators and subject matter experts. Our editorial experts, spread across the world, are rigorously trained using our comprehensive guidelines to ensure that you receive the highest quality quizzes.
Learn about Our Editorial Process
| By Ethan Jacob
E
Ethan Jacob
Community Contributor
Quizzes Created: 1 | Total Attempts: 589
Questions: 10 | Attempts: 589

SettingsSettingsSettings
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms Trivia Quiz - Quiz

Do you really know enough about carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms and effects? How about a "carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms trivia quiz"? We cannot reveal much about carbon monoxide poisoning to you as you will get to learn with these questions. However, for a basic understanding, carbon monoxide poisoning happens when carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. There is more to know. So just take this quiz. All the best to you.


Questions and Answers
  • 1. 

    Carbon monoxide is:

    • A.

      A poison gas that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless

    • B.

      A common occupational hazard

    • C.

      Dangerous when inhaled because it displaces oxygen in the blood, depriving vital organs of oxygen

    • D.

      All of the above

    Correct Answer
    D. All of the above
    Explanation
    Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is a common occupational hazard and is dangerous when inhaled because it displaces oxygen in the blood, depriving vital organs of oxygen. Therefore, the correct answer is "All of the above" as all the statements are true regarding carbon monoxide.

    Rate this question:

  • 2. 

    Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include all of the following EXCEPT:

    • A.

      Headaches

    • B.

      Drowsiness

    • C.

      Talkativeness

    • D.

      Nausea

    Correct Answer
    C. Talkativeness
    Explanation
    Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious condition that occurs when a person inhales excessive amounts of carbon monoxide gas. This gas is odorless and colorless, making it difficult to detect. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, drowsiness, and nausea, as these are caused by the lack of oxygen in the body. However, talkativeness is not a typical symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. This symptom is more commonly associated with conditions such as anxiety or certain medications. Therefore, talkativeness is not included in the list of symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Rate this question:

  • 3. 

    Some occupations that may be at increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

    • A.

      Welders, garage mechanics, and forklift operators

    • B.

      Healthcare workers, nutritionists, and psychiatrists

    • C.

      Foresters, wetlands biologists, and park rangers

    • D.

      Teachers, librarians, and students

    Correct Answer
    A. Welders, garage mechanics, and forklift operators
    Explanation
    Occupations such as welders, garage mechanics, and forklift operators are at an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because they often work in enclosed spaces with poor ventilation. Welding and operating machinery in garages or warehouses can produce high levels of carbon monoxide, which can lead to poisoning if inhaled in large amounts. These occupations involve working with equipment that emits carbon monoxide, making them more vulnerable to exposure. It is important for individuals in these professions to take necessary precautions and ensure proper ventilation to minimize the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Rate this question:

  • 4. 

    Eating sugar can kill the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    B. False
    Explanation
    Eating sugar does not kill the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that binds to hemoglobin in the blood, reducing its ability to carry oxygen. Consuming sugar does not reverse or counteract this effect. The only effective treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is to remove the person from the source of exposure and administer oxygen therapy.

    Rate this question:

  • 5. 

    When you suspect a worker has CO poisoning, you should:

    • A.

      Refrain from moving the victim

    • B.

      Move the worker to fresh air immediately, call 9-1-1, and administer 100% oxygen if the victim is breathing or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if the victim is not breathing.

    • C.

      Try to get the victim to drink a hot, caffeinated beverage.

    • D.

      Use an automated electronic defibrillator (AED) on the victim.

    Correct Answer
    B. Move the worker to fresh air immediately, call 9-1-1, and administer 100% oxygen if the victim is breathing or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if the victim is not breathing.
    Explanation
    When suspecting a worker has CO poisoning, the correct course of action is to move the worker to fresh air immediately. This is crucial to prevent further exposure to carbon monoxide. Additionally, calling 9-1-1 is necessary to seek professional medical assistance. Administering 100% oxygen is recommended if the victim is breathing, as it helps to displace carbon monoxide from the bloodstream. However, if the victim is not breathing, performing CPR is essential to maintain circulation and provide oxygen to the body.

    Rate this question:

  • 6. 

    Possible sources of carbon monoxide include all of the following EXCEPT:

    • A.

      Gas generators

    • B.

      Compressors

    • C.

      Welding equipment

    • D.

      Microwave ovens

    Correct Answer
    D. Microwave ovens
    Explanation
    Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels. Gas generators, compressors, and welding equipment are all sources of carbon monoxide because they involve the burning of fuels. However, microwave ovens do not burn any fuel, so they do not produce carbon monoxide.

    Rate this question:

  • 7. 

    Vomiting is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    A. True
    Explanation
    Vomiting is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning because when a person inhales carbon monoxide gas, it can interfere with the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. This lack of oxygen can lead to nausea and vomiting as the body tries to expel the toxin. Additionally, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause other symptoms such as headache, dizziness, confusion, and shortness of breath. Therefore, if someone is experiencing vomiting along with these symptoms, it could be an indication of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Rate this question:

  • 8. 

    Dizziness is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • A.

      True

    • B.

      False

    Correct Answer
    A. True
    Explanation
    Dizziness is a common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning because carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in the blood, reducing its ability to carry oxygen to the brain. This lack of oxygen can lead to dizziness, lightheadedness, and even loss of consciousness. Therefore, it is true that dizziness can be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Rate this question:

  • 9. 

    Which of these is true?

    • A.

      People with brain tumors have more chances of getting affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • B.

      People younger than 30 have more chances of getting affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • C.

      Both are false.

    • D.

      Both are true.

    Correct Answer
    C. Both are false.
    Explanation
    The given answer states that both statements are false. This means that neither people with brain tumors nor people younger than 30 have a higher risk of being affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Rate this question:

  • 10. 

    When the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, what should you do?

    • A.

      Turn it off and unplug it because it's right in the middle of your favorite show!

    • B.

      Ignore it -- it'll stop ringing sometime soon.

    • C.

      Get everyone out of the house and call 911.

    • D.

      Wave a magazine or paper in front of it until it stops ringing.

    Correct Answer
    C. Get everyone out of the house and call 911.
    Explanation
    When the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, it is crucial to prioritize the safety of everyone in the house. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colorless and odorless, making it impossible to detect without an alarm. Ignoring the alarm or attempting to turn it off could be extremely dangerous. The correct action is to evacuate the house immediately and call 911 for professional assistance. This ensures that everyone is out of harm's way and that the appropriate authorities can address the potential carbon monoxide leak.

    Rate this question:

Related Topics

Back to Top Back to top
Advertisement
×

Wait!
Here's an interesting quiz for you.

We have other quizzes matching your interest.