What would you predict the %C (cytosine) to be based on this - ProProfs Discuss
Topics
Products
Follow Us:

What would you predict the %C (cytosine) to be based on this information? During your summer job at Virotech, you isolate a previously unknown virus. Analysis of its genome reveals that it is composed of a double stranded DNA molecule containing 14% T (thymine).



This question is part of UTBiology: DNA Structure
Asked by Biology_UT, Last updated: Jul 08, 2020

+ Answer
Request

3 Answers

O. Bickis

Get immense pleasure in traveling and writing about visiting places.

O. Bickis, Corporate employee, MBA, Stockton

Answered Feb 26, 2019

The correct answer to this question is 36%. In a situation like this with a double-stranded DNA, we know G (guanine) is always complementary with C (cytosine) and A (adenine) is always complementary with T (thymine).

Therefore, the percentage of G has to equal the percentage of C, and the percentage of A has to equal the percentage of T. If G=14% then C=14%, totalling 28%. Therefore A+T = 72% (the remaining out of 100%), and we know A has to equal T so we can divide 72% in half to obtain the equal parts A (36%) and T (36%).

 

John Adney

John Adney

Answered Dec 12, 2016

How did you get 36%?
 

John Smith

John Smith

Answered Dec 12, 2016

36%
 

Search for Google images
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer
Search for Google images
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer
Search for Google images
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer

Email Sent
We have sent an email to your address "" with instructions to reset your password.