Digoxin consumption can result in poisoning, but oddly enough digoxin toxicity can come from the consumption of certain medicines that contain digoxin or from eating the plant foxglove which contains something like digoxin. Both of these problems after resulting in poisoning due to consuming too much is called digoxin toxicity. There are certain signs and symptoms of digoxin toxicity which include throwing up, no eating as much, vision is blurry and the heartbeat is abnormal.
The way to test a patient for digoxin toxicity is to conduct a blood test to determine if there is a large amount of digoxin in the body’s system or conduct an ECG. Therefore, if a nurse is assessing a patient and she finds that a client has digoxin toxicity, she or he would need to determine if the patient’s vision is blurry or changing.
Vision changes.-rationale: vision changes, such as halos around objects, are signs of digoxin toxicity. hearing loss can be detected through hearing assessment; however, it isnt a common sign of digoxin toxicity. intake and output arent affected unless there is nephrotoxicity, which is uncommon. gait changes are also uncommon.client needs category: physiological integrityclient needs subcategory: pharmacological and parenteral therapiescognitive level: knowledgereference: smeltzer, s.c., et al. brunner & suddarths textbook of medical surgical-nursing, 11th ed. philadelphia: lippincott williams & wilkins, 2008, p. 956.