A formal letter is a type of letter written for formal purposes, when writing a formal letter, avoid using informal languages and abbreviations, go straight to the point and make your writing as simple as possible. A formal letter is written in this format:
1) 2 addresses: your address should be on the top right corner of the letter. The receivers address on the left side below your address.
2) Date: this should be below the receivers address.
3) Greetings/ Salutations: if you know the receiver, write the name but if you do not know, address the receiver as Sir/Madam.
4) Body of the letter: state the purpose of the letter.
5) Ending of the letter: this should be at the bottom right of your letter, you can end with "yours faithfully" or "yours sincerely ". Sign then write your name.