People with Diabetes Mellitus may need Insulin injections to turn glucose into glycogen (storage carbohydrate in animals). Explain how through genetic engineering of a bacterium, insulin is produced to treat diabetic patients.
Isolate plasmids from bacteria the select the part of DNA that codes for the production of insuline. then using a restriction enzyme cut open thhe plasmid using same restriction enzyme cut part of the DNA then using DNA ligase jion the cut end of DNA ro plasmid to form recombinant plasmids. the incubate the recombinant plasmids with plasmid removed bacteria. some bacteria take up the recombinat plasmid and produce insuline.
1) A human insulin gene is indentified and isolated
2) This is done using restriction enzymes
3) The restriction enzyme cuts the plasmid
4) The plasmid is the vector
5) The human insulin gene and plasmid are joined together using ligase enzyme
6) This forms a recombinant plasmid
7) The plasmid is put back into the bacterium
8) The bacteria reproduces asexually
9) All offsprings will produce human insulin