At birth, humans have 270 bones in their bodies, but the number decreases as many of these bones fuse together during growth, leaving a total of 206. This includes 26 bones in the spine, 25 bones in the chest, 29 bones in the head, 64 bones in the arms, 8 bones in the legs, 52 bones in the feet, and 4 bones in the pelvis.
All of these bones provide important structure ...
Communication skills help to promote better emotional health in a number of ways:
1. Help you to express the emotions that you are feeling. This prevents stress, anxiety, and high blood pressure that may come with keeping your emotions bottled up inside of you.
2. Lead to deeper, more meaningful relationships. Communication skills with others help you to better share ...
Your awareness of obesity is based on a number of factors:
1. Knowing what a healthy BMI is for your height.
2. Knowing the current trends in growing rates of obesity.
3. Knowing the habits that lead to obesity.
4. Knowing how to counteract these habits to lead a healthier lifestyle.
If you are aware of these 4 factors, you can help yourself to ...
Taking drugs during pregnancy can have a number of different effects on both the pregnant mother and the unborn baby. Illicit drugs can cause all of the following problems:
• Heart attacks
• Respiratory failure
• Increased chance of birth defects
• Increased chances of premature ...
As human beings, we are heavily influenced by our environments. In many ways, the things we do are all direct response to one environmental factor or another. Here are just a few ways in which environmental determinants can influence behavior:
• Social environment: Our social environments include all of the people around us, including friends, family members, and ...
Prescription drugs are designed to help us by treating an illness and/or its symptoms. However, every drug has side effects, and too much drugs can do as much harm to our bodies as good. Here are just a few ways prescription drugs can hurt you:
• Drugs designed to treat emotional and mental problems can often worsen the situation. Hormones differ in every person’s ...
The best way to measure environmental sustainability is through measuring our current ecological footprint. An ecological footprint is the measure of a group’s impact on the environment and its resources. Ecological footprints can be used to measure the impact of a business, a family, or an entire country. It is important to measure the environmental sustainability of different ...
The best way to modify one’s perception of susceptibility is to personalize the risk. If you can present the issue in such a way that makes it more personal for the person, they are more likely to view it as a true possibility, rather than an abstract concept.
This can help to rid them of the “that will never happen to me” mentality, and give them a more realistic ...
Cilia are tiny, hair-like appendages on the cells that line your airways. Those airways are covered by a thin layer of mucus, and the cilia move rapidly to push the mucus up the trachea. Particles and pathogens that have become trapped in this mucus can then be coughed out or moved to the mouth. By helping your body to remove these particles and pathogens, the cilia can help to prevent ...
The body’s hormones play an important role in helping a woman to become pregnant. This means that the hormones can be altered in such a way that allows a woman to avoid becoming pregnant without using other forms of birth control. Hormonal methods of birth control work by blocking the hormones that would signal a woman’s ovaries to ovulate.
Ovulation is the process by ...