Spent way too much time on some tasks you thought would be quick to do? You are not alone and this happens to most of us. It is mainly because of the lack of a structured approach.
Workflow management is not easy at all and that is why the market of workflow management software is seeing rapid growth. Having the right software enables you and your team to streamline the work process and speed up the regular routine for optimal results.
#FACT TIME: Every year, businesses across the globe lose around 20-30% in revenue because of inefficiencies.
Imagine losing such a huge amount of money annually just because the right work management system was not in place. To boost productivity and increase efficiency, many businesses have already implemented workflow management software.
But here comes the question, how to find the right workflow management solution for your business? There is a huge list of software out there and we have taken our time to research dozens of them. We looked at the features, details, pricing, and even tried certain software to check the performance and efficiency.
In this blog guide, we will be discussing the top 17 workflow management tools and how you can choose the right one for your business.
A Quick Look at Top Workflow Management Softwares & Their Key Features
|Software||Key Features||Price (billed monthly)|
||Free – no charge freemium plan
Essentials – $3/user/month
Premium – $6/user/month
||Free – $0 freemium plan
Starter – $24.99/month
Professional – $61.25/month
Team – $373.75/month
Company – $748.75/month
||Free – $0
Unlimited – $9/user/month
Business – $19/user/month
||Starter – $15/user/month
Growth – $30/user/month
Boost – $ 50/user/month
||Starter – $49/month (10 users)
Pro – $99/month (20 users)
Business – $149 (50 users)
||BIG – $10/user/month
BIGGER – $20/user/month
BIGGEST – $30/user/month
||Professional – $20/user/month
Advanced – $30/user/month
||Core – $99/year
Pro – $299/year
Ultimate – $447/year
Essential – $50/month (unlimited users)
Ultimate Control – $99/month (unlimited users)
||Online – $7/user/month
Self-Hosted – $120/user
||Basic – $15/user/month
Standard – $30/user/month
||Basic – $0 (Free forever)
Premium – $3.99/user/month
Business – $11.99/user/month
||Free – $0
Pay as you go – $18/user/month
Micro – $120/month
Small – $480/month
Medium – $840/month
||Free – $0
Pro – $12.50/user/month
Premium – $22.50/user/month
||Basic – $10/user/month
Standard – $12/user/month
Pro – $20/user/month
||Basic – $5/user/month (per feature model)|
||Standard – $1495/month
Enterprise – $2479/month
What is Workflow Management Software?
Workflow management software is an advanced system that offers a platform for improving the way you and your team works. It provides you with the ability to create and optimize workflows easily, automate processes, identify areas of improvement, and increase efficiency and productivity. All in all, teams can streamline their work process using the best workflow management systems.
Must-Have Features of an Online Workflow Management Software
Different teams have different methodologies and strategies to accomplish their tasks and finish the projects. This is why each team follows a unique workflow, and that is what we love about workflow management solutions as teams can do a lot of customized stuff in there. There are some common and must-have features of online workflow management software. Let’s check out!
- Visual Workflow Management: Checking out something visually helps in getting a more comprehensive view of what’s going on. So, visual timelines using Kanban boards or Gantt charts tool are a must to track the progress of work and allocate resources according to the priorities and deadlines.
- Collaboration Tools: Collaboration is the key when it comes to managing the workflow, as everyone needs to be on the same page. Workflow management applications should have collaboration tools and features like task commenting, real-time notifications, chatbox, forms, and file-sharing options.
- Customized Reporting: Customized reporting is great for visualizing and analyzing data related to the project. The project workflow software should have advanced filtering options to generate insightful reports. This helps in making informed decisions on the next stages of the project.
- Third-party Integrations: Seamless integration with multiple third-party softwares helps in easy synchronization and transfer of data. It also allows the team members to feel comfortable while working on a new software as they still have access to their old system. So, a cloud workflow management system should support integrations with third-party software.
- Adaptation to Changes: The workflow management software should be able to adapt to the changes along the way easily. The workflow might not remain the same due to the changing requirements, and the application should help teams in adapting to such changes in an efficient manner.
How to Choose the Workflow Management Software?
The perfect workflow management software adds a solid layer of visibility and structure to the workflow process that you create. This helps you turn creative ideas into products and smart concepts into processes. So, you definitely want to get the tool right. Let’s look at various factors that you should consider in your hunt for the top workflow process software.
- Team Size: The first thing to look out for is your team size. You can decide on your budget and see the workflow management software’s pricing plans according to your team size. Also, some tools are great for small teams, while others are smooth for enterprise-level projects and large teams. Try out the free demo or trial to check the compatibility of the software.
- Easy Communication: Bringing the project tasks and communication on the same platform is the perfect way to boost efficiency. So, look for a tool that offers collaboration and communication features like commenting, mentioning other users, file sharing, in-built email/chat, etc.
- Interface: The user interface is a crucial part of the software evaluation process. You need to consider the “TECH” factor here as all users might not be tech-savvy. If you are looking for a software for your technical development team, then the interface won’t be a trouble. Still, if you want your sales, customer support, or marketing team to work on it, you need to go for a workflow management solution that is easy to use and navigate.
- Project Type: How simple or complex is your project? Is there any software development process involved? Is it a customer-centric project or a sales project? The answer to these questions will help you decide whether to go for a basic tool or an advanced one with more functionalities.
- Security: As you will be using the tool for business, sensitive data will be involved. It is mandatory to hide such data from specific users, and abstraction should be properly handled to ensure data security. Proper encryption methods should be in place to secure the project data and files while transferring.
List of Best Workflow Management Softwares
Let’s take a look at the best workflow management software along with its features and pricing in detail.
ProProfs Project is a smart workflow management solution that offers a wide array of features to help project managers and teams manage their projects in a better and efficient way. With ProProfs Project on board, Project Managers can be sure that their team is always on the same page. You can easily streamline all your work processes, track productive work hours, and improve team communication to deliver exceptional results.
- Manage tasks, subtasks, deadlines, and status of project processes.
- Drag and drop functionality for easy task management.
- Use Kanban boards, Gantt charts, calendar views to create and track workflow.
- Create in-depth reports and use analytics to plan projects.
- Team collaboration, task comments, and shared calendars.
- Generate invoices and customize bills with simple functions.
- Get real-time notification updates and track projects over mobile apps on the go.
- Create custom workflow as per your need.
- Free – no charge freemium plan
- Essentials – $3/user/month
- Premium – $6/user/month
What we liked: Super easy navigation, 24/7 support, and collaboration options.
What could be better: Portfolio management needs some improvements.
Zapier is a great online workflow management solution to automate the workflow and boost productivity. The application is equipped with the perfect set of tools and features for different teams so that they can get to their target well within time and budget. The unique dashboard of Zapier makes it easy for project managers and teams to manage processes without any errors.
- Powerful dashboard to manage multiple apps.
- Create processes and track them.
- Workflow automation to boost productivity.
- Easy to use interface.
- 2000+ integrations to simply data transfer and sync.
- Free – $0 freemium plan
- Starter – $24.99/month
- Professional – $61.25/month
- Team – $373.75/month
- Company – $748.75/month
What we liked: Workflow automation and user-friendly interface.
What could be better: Reporting and tracking features.
ClickUp is the best free workflow management software with easy-to-use features for project planning, team performance tracking, resource management, milestone tracking, and much more. There are multiple customizable templates to fit the unique requirements of different workflows. The free plan contains all the primary features and is suitable for small teams.
- Workflow management & time tracking.
- Easy team collaboration & task comments for easy communication.
- Simple drag & drop interface.
- Advanced reporting & analytics with customization.
- Multiple dashboard views for different projects & teams.
- Free – $0
- Unlimited – $9/user/month
- Business – $19/user/month
What we liked: Efficient dashboard view and customer-centric features.
What could be better: User interface & complex options.
Salesmate CRM offers workflow automation so that users can focus more on sales. By automating certain processes, the chances of human errors decrease and productivity increase. Users can easily stay on track to attend important activities and deliver work on time. It is not a proper project management tool but can help sales and customer care teams to manage work more efficiently.
- Easy contact management to track all the clients.
- Workflow automation.
- Visual sales pipeline to manage revenue.
- Smart emails for better collaboration.
- Activity management and customized reporting.
- Starter – $15/user/month
- Growth – $30/user/month
- Boost – $ 50/user/month
What we liked: Workflow management in a CRM tool.
What could be better: Time tracking and multiple task views.
Nifty is a collaborative and cloud-based workflow management solution with Gantt charts and Kanban boards to create and manage customized workflows. It offers a sleek and modern interface that’s easy to use and navigate for many users. Nifty’s collaboration features allow users to share their ideas and gather feedback from PMs and clients in real-time.
- Time tracking & detailed reporting to manage workflow.
- Recurring tasks, schedule & workload overviews.
- Team chat for real-time collaboration.
- Project portfolio management.
- Customizable Kanban boards for different projects and teams.
- Starter – $49/month (10 users)
- Pro – $99/month (20 users)
- Business – $149 (50 users)
What we liked: Built-in team chat for easy team communication.
What could be better: Learning curve.
BIGcontacts is a simple CRM and workflow management tool that helps you to automate certain business activities. PMs can easily create and track customized workflows and team members can effectively collaborate to stay on the same page while handling projects. All the data is stored in a centralized location, making it easy for teams to manage work.
- Organization of customers and prospects from a single dashboard.
- Task management and tracking.
- 360-degree view of all activities.
- Advanced customized reporting and analytics.
- Email marketing module to automate marketing processes.
- Individual, List, and Calendar view to manage workflow.
- BIG – $10/user/month
- BIGGER – $20/user/month
- BIGGEST – $30/user/month
What we liked: Collaboration features and marketing automation module in a CRM.
What could be better: Board views for better workflow management.
ProWorkflow has been in the market for a long time now, and the workflow management tool is best known for visual deadline tracking. The workflow dashboard can be accessed by all the team members and clients. This makes visualizing tasks, due dates, messages, feedback, quotes, invoices, etc., super easy.
- Everything in one place to manage and track.
- Customizable templates for different projects.
- Powerful reporting features to analyze progress.
- Customized workflows to fit different requirements.
- Efficient resource management capabilities.
- Professional – $20/user/month
- Advanced – $30/user/month
What we liked: Dedicated mobile apps to access all the standard features.
What could be better: No data source integrations.
8. Gravity Flow
Gravity Flow is another popular workflow management solution that allows PMs to create quick and easy multi-step workflows. The flow of data between the workflows you create and the marketing tools or CRMs you are using is easy, and everyone stays in the loop. It is a good web-based solution for businesses and teams focusing on online marketing projects.
- Automate routine business processes.
- Track every single detail easily.
- Detailed reporting and analytics for a better understanding of the project.
- Add unlimited users and workflows.
- Customizable development for different teams.
- Core – $99/year
- Pro – $299/year
- Ultimate – $447/year
What we liked: Workflow management is super easy and smooth.
What could be better: Different task views and boards.
ProofHub is not just a workflow management software but is capable of managing all your projects, teams, and communications. The versatile software is trusted by some big brands and is perfect for boosting productivity. The customized workflows and project management features make it easy for PMs to allocate tasks, track progress, and deliver successful results.
- Organize tasks in one central place.
- Plan projects using Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
- Get ultimate control with custom roles.
- Track time smartly and prioritize tasks.
- Create customized and -detailed reports easily.
- Essential – $50/month (unlimited users)
- Ultimate Control – $99/month (unlimited users)
What we liked: Proofing features for faster approval.
What could be better: Task comments and messages for better collaboration.
actiTIME is a workflow tracking software that allows users to track time, work on tasks, add comments, and manage work from a weekly timesheet. The powerful reporting features and invoicing based on time tracked make this one of the most efficient tools to manage workflow. Project Managers can easily control the entire work process and can stay on top of milestones with actiTIME.
- Monitor and manage time with ease.
- Analyze team performance with in-depth reports.
- Scope management and planning features.
- Direct data access using API.
- Calculate revenues and costs for invoicing.
- Online – $7/user/month
- Self-Hosted – $120/user
- Custom – Based on the number of users
What we liked: Management of work from a single intuitive dashboard.
What could be better: Collaboration and tracking features.
11. Process Street
Process Street is a robust workflow and process management application that offers simple solutions to teams for managing recurring workflows. The software is ideal for almost any team looking to manage and track their work processes using checklists. It saves a lot of time and allows teams to collaborate effectively.
- Robust workflow and process management.
- Create recurring checklists and collaborate seamlessly.
- Customized automation of processes.
- Advanced reporting features to track progress.
- Easy to use interface and options for different teams.
- Basic – $15/user/month
- Standard – $30/user/month
What we liked: Recurring checklists and tracking features.
What could be better: Reporting and third-party integrations.
nTask offers a neat platform for all the workflow management needs. The simple design helps in managing all your tasks and projects from a single dashboard. Users can easily plan stuff, track time, prioritize work, and collaborate with team members for a productive environment. The software is great for small and medium teams to get their work done.
- Team chat, task comments, and dedicated workspaces.
- Resource allocation, budgeting, and milestones tracking.
- Customizable Kanban boards and cards for managing workflow.
- Issue tracking and risk management.
- Efficient timesheet management.
- Basic – $0 (Free forever)
- Premium – $3.99/user/month
- Business – $11.99/user/month
What we liked: User-friendly interface and simple collaboration.
What could be better: Task reporting and project analytics.
Pics.io is a workflow and digital asset management tool that is perfect for creative teams and projects. With Pics.io managing the workflow, PMs can easily handle the project from the initial brief to the final delivery without missing a single deadline or task. It keeps all the project-related files and information in a centralized space and offers a good collaboration platform to work together.
- Easy sharing and collaboration with teams.
- Advanced reporting & analytics to monitor performance.
- Metadata management.
- Visual comparison and easy documentation.
- Detailed tracking of project data.
- Free – $0
- Pay as you go – $18/user/month
- Micro – $120/month
- Small – $480/month
- Medium – $840/month
What we liked: Reporting capabilities and advanced analytics.
What could be better: Navigation and user interface.
Teamwork is a customizable workflow software with an intuitive interface and a wide range of features that allow PMs and teams to customize their workflow and achieve targets. Users can automate workflows and let them see all data at a glance. In Teamwork, it is easy to track all the processes and reallocate resources according to priority.
- Built-in file storage, chat window, and messaging apps.
- Reallocate tasks, resources, and manage workflow smoothly.
- Resource tracking to make data-driven decisions.
- Time tracking and task management.
- Customized invoices of tracked time and expenses.
- Free – $0
- Pro – $12.50/user/month
- Premium – $22.50/user/month
What we liked: Workload management to get a bigger picture of the team’s capacity.
What could be better: Learning curve and interface.
Monday.com is one of the best workflow project management tools for process visualization that provides a simple and structured interface. It helps the teams understand the sequence of work, and with real-time alerts, notifications, users can always stay on top of the milestones and deadlines. It is undoubtedly a productive tool for medium and large teams to get work done in a collaborative environment.
- Easy task and resource management.
- Options to upload attachments, add comments, and mention teammates.
- Gantt charts available to manage workflow.
- Timesheet tracking to assign the tasks and view progress.
- Workflow automation options to automate processes.
- Customizable task boards to adjust your project methodology.
- Basic – $10/user/month
- Standard – $12/user/month
- Pro – $20/user/month
- Enterprise – Custom quotes on request
What we liked: Visually pleasing interface and customizable task boards.
What could be better: Lag issues while navigating through UI.
Taskeo is not just a workflow management tool but is a personal productivity assistant packed with powerful features. Teams can easily create and manage workflows to improve efficiency and stay on the same page. With this unique project management solution, users can focus on the right tasks to get the job done better and faster.
- Personalized dashboard to monitor all tasks.
- Meeting planner for better collaboration.
- Smart search and activity feed.
- Workload management and resource management.
- Easy and customized reporting capabilities.
- Basic – $5/user/month (per feature model)
What we liked: Meeting planner and smart options.
What could be better: Tracking features can be better.
ProcessMaker is an open-source workflow automation tool famous for ease, visual flowcharts that help in building approval-based workflows. The drag and drop, intuitive interface makes it easy for different teams to automate workflows and communicate effectively while achieving more.
- Simple user management and user portal.
- Lightweight and efficient for large projects and teams.
- Easy to use and approval-driven.
- Workflow automation to drive productivity.
- Drag & drop interface.
- Standard – $1495/month
- Enterprise – $2479/month
What we liked: Lightweight and workflow automation.
What could be better: Reporting and tracking capabilities.
Comparison of Best Workflow Management Solutions
|Software||Pricing (Starting/month/user)||Time Tracking||Team Collaboration||Project Reporting||24/7 Support||iOS/Android Apps|
|Zapier||$0||Yes (With integration)||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|Salesmate CRM||$15||Yes (With integration)||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Nifty||$49 (10 users)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ProofHub||$50 (unlimited users)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Process Street||$15||Yes (With integration)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pics.io||$0||Yes (With integration)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Do you want a free Project Management Software?
We have the #1 Online Project Management Software starting at $0