Did you know that 67% of people worldwide believe that customer service as a whole is improving?
One of the top reasons why customers have higher expectations from their preferred brands to offer the best service experience!
This definitely gives you the motivation to focus more on creating a delightful experience for your customers.
Undoubtedly your product is a significant contributor in convincing people to invest in your business, but this isn't enough, especially when customer demands are on the rise.
This calls for service enhancement, to ensure that you leave a substantial impact on your customers that compels them to come back to your brand frequently.
That’s why your business needs to work towards building a customer experience that:
- Encourages customers to become loyal to your brand
- Prompts them to share their awesome experience with your brand on public platforms
- Helps you bring in new customers via word-of-mouth publicity
So, to help you bring in more customers, we’ve created a list of 50+ customer experience statistics that will help you build an awesome experience for your customers effectively.
We’ve divided these statistics into the following 19 categories:
- Customer Experience Training Success Statistics
- Good Customer Experience Statistics
- Negative Customer Experience Statistics
- Importance of Customer Experience Statistics
- Improving Customer Experience Statistics
- Marketing Customer Experience Statistics
- B2B Customer Experience Statistics
- Retail Customer Experience Statistics
- Mobile Customer Experience Statistics
- Customer Experience Drives Sales Statistics
- Digital Customer Experience Statistics
- Customer Experience ROI Statistics
- Customer Experience Through Social Media
- Customer Experience & Engagement Statistics
- Customer Experience & Retention Statistics
- Customer Experience & Loyalty Statistics
- Customer Experience & Satisfaction Statistics
- Customer Experience & Live Chat Statistics
- Future of Customer Experience
It’s time that we explore each category and see what they have in store for us to learn!
Must-Read 53 Customer Experience Statistics for 2021
With these customer experience stats, facts, and trends, your business can effectively create some of the best strategies that keep customers delighted with your services.
Without further ado, let’s dive in!
Customer Experience Training Success Statistics
1. 60% of companies have expanded their focus on contact center efficiency, while 65% of contact centers track their efficiency efforts. (Source: Call Miner)Tweet this
Such statistics on customer experience help you understand the growing trend amongst companies to train their employees in the contact center. This allows them to perform well and create a delightful customer experience journey effectively. What’s more, 65% of contact centers also track how their training efforts are panning out by keeping a check on the operator efficiency.
2. 36% of organizations aim to improve agent, desktop, and CRM experiences in 2019. (Source: CCW Digital)Tweet this
To create an awesome experience for their customers, 36% of companies are investing in their services and actively working towards improving operator performance. And constant improvement helps them keep their customers delighted with their services.
3. 56% of U.S. companies use customer interaction data from all channels to make business decisions. (Source: CCW Digital)Tweet this
The reason why customer interaction data is pivotal for companies is that they get to learn where their business needs to improve, what services need upgrading, and how they can improve existing work processes that ultimately help them to build good customer experience.
Takeaway: To train your customer support reps, upgrade your services at the contact center, or even overhaul the complete support process. This will help your business keep customers delighted with your services because they’ll guarantee consistent services that most of your customers expect.
Good Customer Experience Statistics
4. 70% of buying experiences are based on how the customer feels while they are being treated. (Source: McKinsey)Tweet this
One of the most crucial times that customers speak of is when they are purchasing a product or investing in a service. That’s why you need to make sure that when offering them support during this process, they are treated well, and the support process gets customized as per their need to boost more instances of good customer experience.
5. Americans will pay 17% more to do business with firms with great reputations when it comes to customer service. (Source: American Express)Tweet this
Another factor that helps a business create great customer experience is its reputation in the market. If you are known to your target audience in the market, then they will more likely do business with you. This way, your reputation helps you build experience for your customers.
6. Service insight and knowledge are also key to a good experience according to 62% of consumers. (Source: American Express)Tweet this
While the above-mentioned customer experience statistics of 2021 help you learn what works well for a business when focusing on good customer experience, this one helps you learn what you actually should do to prompt your customers to return to your brand. Make sure that you have the best customer service reps assisting customers in finding a solution faster. What’s more, focus on hiring knowledgeable reps who are aware of the service insights that your company provides to customers. It definitely helps to capture more business effectively.
Takeaway: These good customer experience statistics help you learn what all the things you need to keep in mind so that your customers are satisfied with the experience they have with your brand.
Negative Customer Experience Statistics
7. 25% of customers will defect after just one bad experience. (Source: McKinsey)Tweet this
You create one bad experience and end up losing customers. Now that customers get a lot of options in the market, it becomes a lot simpler for them to choose the next best option in case they’ve had a bad experience with an existing brand they use.
8. Consumers are 2x more likely to share their bad customer service experiences than they are their positive. (Source: American Express)
Such bad customer experience statistics indicate how customers end up sharing their bad experiences with more people. And what’s worse, some rarely share their good experiences online too. To top it all, bad experiences are more likely to catch the attention of those who specifically try to learn more about a certain brand.
9. Customers switching companies due to poor service costs U.S. companies a total of $1.6 trillion. (Source: Accenture)Tweet this
Whenever you are on the verge of providing a bad experience to a customer and would like to take a few steps back, it would be in your best interest to keep this bad customer experience statistic in mind. You wouldn’t like your company to face losses that are incurred after bad service experience. So make sure you create a seamless service experience that ends up delighting all your customers.
Takeaway: There are a lot of reasons for customers to avoid doing business with a certain brand. And a one-time bad experience is a good enough reason for them to do so. That’s why you need to make sure that no customer of yours leaves dissatisfied. It is important to learn about customer behavior patterns to build a good experience with your brand.
Importance of Customer Experience Statistics
10. American consumers will pay 17% more to purchase from a company with a reputation for great service. (Source: American Express)Tweet this
Such customer experience stats indicate how important it is for customers to have a great experience during their interaction with a brand. And, they tend to expect more from brands who have a great reputation for good customer experience in the market.
11. It costs U.S. businesses $1.6 trillion when a customer leaves their business. (Source: Accenture)Tweet this
Another customer experience fact that shouldn’t be neglected is how bad experience can reflect on your company’s revenue. While the previous statistic focused on customers paying more to brands who have a good reputation for offering the best services in the market, this one clearly states how customers leaving a brand is a possibility in case they do not get the best experience during their journey. Goes on to show how important service experience is for customers.
12. Loyal customers spend 67% more than new customers. (Source: Edelman)Tweet this
Apparently, loyal customers tend to spend more in comparison to new customers. That means the loyal customers share trust with the brand and understand how their service experience is, which is why they end up spending more than the new customers because they are yet to trust the brand. But that is only going to happen if the product quality and experience with one is consistent.
Takeaway: The above-mentioned statistics on customer experience indicate how important it is for customers to have a great experience with a brand. Customer experience is so important to customers that they are willing to spend more on the services of a brand.
Improving Customer Experience Statistics
13. 50% of the brands say they are planning to increase CX-related technology spending in 2019. (Source: Adobe Digital Trends Report)
To improve the customer experience for their customers, brands considered increasing their spend on it to keep customers satisfied with them. But this was in 2019. So just imagine how much brands are willing to spend to improve customer experience this year.
14. 75% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase from a company that knows their name and purchase history and recommends products based on their preferences. (Source: Accenture)Tweet this
Another strategy to improve your customer’s experience with your brand is to let them know that you remember them. On their next visit to your website, you can show product recommendations to your customers on the basis of their product purchasing history. This will help you make them feel cherished and a part of the brand.
15. 52% of people around the globe believe that companies need to take action on feedback provided by their customers. (Source: Microsoft)Tweet this
As one of the customer experience statistics, this one helps you learn how you can improve a customer’s future experience with the brand. All you have to do is take their feedback seriously, implement them to your services and products to make sure that customers feel satisfied on their next visit.
Takeaway: To improve customer experience, it is important to take into account the suggestions you get from the above-mentioned online customer experience statistics. Not only will you get to boost sales but also gain more loyal customers.
Marketing Customer Experience Statistics
16. 75% of marketers say they will be responsible for the end-to-end experience over the customer’s lifetime. (Source: Deloitte)Tweet this
This customer experience statistic states how marketers feel that it is their responsibility to help organizations build an awesome experience for the customers during their association with the brand.
17. 62% of marketing leaders said the use of online customer data at their firms increased in the last two years, and 70% said they expect to use more online data in the next two years. (Source: Fuqua)Tweet this
To create great marketing strategies, leaders of the industry believe that the accumulated online customer data can help them build an experience that a customer expects from a brand. Also, they see that this online data accumulation is only going to grow in the coming years.
18. Optimizing the customer experience (19%) comes out on top, ahead of data-driven marketing that focuses on the individual (16%) and creating compelling content for digital experiences (14%). (Source: Econsultancy)Tweet this
While optimizing customer experience is one of the biggest priorities of the organizations today, they still wish to focus on data-driven marketing strategies that help them to kick-start an awesome experience for their customers.
Takeaway: In this section of online customer experience statistics, we’ve noticed what all the companies across the globe wish to achieve through marketing with respect to customer experience. They wish to create an end-to-end experience for customers that allows them to stay connected with the brand from the first point of contact. They also want to use the accumulated online data to come up with great strategies that help them optimize the customer experience.
B2B Customer Experience Statistics
19. Investing in improved customer experience pays dividends. We have seen companies substantially raise customer-satisfaction scores through significant improvements in operational performance. These improvements can lower customer churn by 10 to 15 percent, increase the win rate of offers by 20 to 40 percent, and lower costs to serve by up to 50 percent. (Source: McKinsey)Tweet this
If businesses invest effectively on customer experience, they can experience results such as low customer churn rate and reduced cost of customer service. Better customer experiences can also help you improve employee satisfaction hassle-free.
20. 80% of B2B buyers are not only looking for but expect a buying experience like that of a B2C customer. (Source: Lumoa)Tweet this
As one of the customer experience facts, this one definitely leaves us surprised. This is true that companies often take a lot of initiative to create a good customer experience. But what about those who are a part of the B2B industry? Even they wish to have the same buying experience as customers in the B2C get to enjoy.
21. B2B companies with e-commerce personalization will outsell by 30% of their competitors that are not providing a personalized experience. (Source: Lumoa)Tweet this
Another customer experience statistic that helps you know why personalization is the key to customer success. If anything, businesses that focus on building a personalized experience are more likely to keep their customers delighted in comparison to their competitors.
Takeaway: From lack of speed during interactions to the expectation of having the same experience as the B2C industry customers, there are a lot of things that B2B customers face and expect. But to help them out, you need to keep these statistics on customer experience in mind and create strategies that keep them satisfied with your business.
Retail Customer Experience Statistics
22. 69% of online shoppers say that the quality or relevance of a company's message influences their perception of a brand. (Source: Think With Google)Tweet this
This also indicates that the experience with a brand may be viewed with a tint of bias. For example, if a customer does not agree with a brand’s message, then they are likely to have a biased notion regarding the type of service they receive from the same brand.
23. In 2018, 51% of e-commerce brands offered same-day delivery, up from 16% in 2017. Experts predict that within the next two years, 65% of retailers will offer same-day delivery. (Source: BRPConsulting)Tweet this
This is one of the biggest achievements for retailers to provide same-day delivery services to their customer base. Thus, the best decision on their part to provide seamless customer experience.
24. Getting personalized discounts based on their purchase history is important for 76% of consumers. (Source: Loyalty)Tweet this
For many customers, it is important that their favored brands utilize their product purchasing history to provide necessary discounts. For example, if a customer purchases certain products every month, then they should offer discounts on those brands to encourage them to shop more. Such experiences prompt customers to get shop more frequently and refer the brand to others too.
Takeaway: Retailers should focus more on building smooth relationships with the customers by building delightful experiences for them. They can do this by providing good brand messaging, same-day delivery service, and provide personalized discounts based on their purchasing patterns.
Mobile Customer Experience Statistics
25. 61% of customers are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing, and 40% end up visiting a competitor’s site instead.
(Source: McKinsey & Co.)Tweet this
Another form of customer experience that many brands should work upon is mobile experience. With the best experience through a mobile app or website, it becomes a lot simpler for you to retain more customers and not lose them to your competitors.
26. 43% of Millennials contact customer service from a mobile device.
(Source: Microsoft)Tweet this
This customer experience stat drops you a hint on how you need to make sure that if customers do contact your services via their mobile devices, then make sure you optimize it according to their needs and expectations. This would help you build a seamless experience for your customers.
27. 79% of Millennials are more willing to buy from brands that have a mobile customer service portal. (Source: Microsoft)Tweet this
Since customers like convenience, make sure that you provide that to them when they want and how they want. Like in this customer experience statistics, you get to see how many people like to buy from brands who also offer mobile customer service portals to them. This increases your chances of boosting sales and creates a seamless experience for them.
Takeaway: Every customer experience fact or stat in this section indicates the relevance of providing an awesome mobile experience to customers. This will encourage them to return and help you make more sales.
Customer Experience Drives Sales Statistics
28. Companies that provide an emotional connection with customers outperform the sales growth of their competitors by 85%. (Source: Gallup)Tweet this
According to Gallup’s study, customers like to purchase from brands who take the initiative of building an emotional connection with their customers. And, if you’d like to see your sales soar amidst the competitive market, then make sure you connect on an emotional level and provide the best possible experience to them.
29. 1 in 3 customers is willing to pay more to receive a higher level of service. (Source: Genesys)Tweet this
This customer experience fact is indicative of those customers who do not mind spending more on a brand that offers the best customer service experience. So, make sure that you are solely focused on providing the best possible experience.
30. Increasing customer retention rates by 5% increase in profits anywhere from 25% to 95%. (Sources: Bain & Company)Tweet this
We’ve heard a lot that existing customers tend to bring in more business for the brand than newly acquired customers. This customer experience statistic is like an affirmation to that notion. But for your existing customers to retain, you need to make sure that you offer the best possible discounts, loyalty programs, experience, and more to make sure they stick with you for long.
Takeaway: To drive sales to your business, it is important that you work towards building consistent customer service experience that keeps them delighted. And the above-mentioned customer experience statistics for 2021 tend to prove the existing notions on how important is a consistent experience for your brand to drive more sales.
Digital Customer Experience Statistics
31. 73% of firms trust recommendations from friends and family, while only 19% trust direct mail. (Source: Forrester Research)Tweet this
There is no doubt that if you get a recommendation for a product or a brand face-to-face, then you are more likely to follow it. So when you think of building trust with your customers through digital platforms like email or chat, make sure that you do not sound phony or fake. Come up with genuine content that helps them trust your brand easily.
32. 71% of the companies say the cloud has influenced the customer experience. (Source: IBM)Tweet this
Well, this is an important stat. Currently, various cloud-based customer service platforms have taken over traditional platforms such as email and call support. Some of these channels, like a knowledge base or live chat, help customers get quick answers to their questions. And that’s why these platforms have ended up influencing the customer experience sector as most customers expect their preferred brands to be equipped with them.
33. Email is the most commonly used customer service channel, with 54% of consumers using email to contact a company in 2018. (Source: Forrester)Tweet this
While the previous customer experience stat tends to paint a picture that cloud-based tools are taking over the customer service experience industry, email (the traditional form of communication) still has its own relevance. No wonder it has its own place when it comes to customer service and support processes.
Takeaway: Digital customer experience is on the rise as customers find it more convenient to use these channels to receive the best possible solution to their problems.
Customer Experience ROI Statistics
34. Offering a high-quality customer experience can lower the cost of serving customers by up to 33%. (Source: Deloitte)Tweet this
If you would like to lower the cost of providing great service, then you need to keep in mind this customer experience statistics. To gain higher ROI for your business, it is important that you offer the best possible customer experience. It will help you to lower the cost of serving the customers effectively.
35. Customers are likely to spend 140% more after a positive experience than customers who report negative experiences. (Source: Deloitte)Tweet this
Through this customer experience statistic, there is only one take away - focus on providing the best service experience to your customers. With primary focus on customer experience, you’ll end up giving customers what they really expect from a brand - quality. And, you see such customers spending more on your services after they observe the consistency in your services.
36. When customers have a great experience, they’re willing to pay up to a 16% price premium. (Source: PwC)Tweet this
As stated in the above-mentioned online customer experience statistics, your business needs to focus on quality rather than just providing service to customers. This will help your business earn better revenues in comparison to your competitors.
Takeaway: Each customer experience stat focuses on how important good experience is to customers, and they are more than willing to spend on a brand if they are consistent with quality services.
Customer Experience Through Social Media
37. Customers who engage with companies over social media spend 20 -40% more money than other customers. (Source: Bain & Company)
If you wish to improve customer experience, then make sure it happens throughout all the channels. With improved customer service experience at social media channels, your brand can easily generate more revenue than expected.
38. 80 percent of customer service tweets are negative or critical in nature. (Source: Touch Agency)Tweet this
If you are vigilant enough and make sure that each customer experience takes place smoothly, then you can easily avoid negative customer service tweets and posts on different social media platforms.
Takeaway: It’s not just website experience and support experience that you need to take care of. Well, make sure that you take care of the comments and suggestions received via social media platforms. This will help you cover all bases and create an awesome experience for your customers efficiently.
Customer Experience & Engagement Statistics
39. Companies with initiatives to improve their customer experience see employee engagement increase by 20% on average. (Source: McKinsey)Tweet this
This clarifies the relationship between customer engagement and experience easily. Your customers will engage more frequently with the brand if they get guaranteed customer experience.
40. Companies with engaged employees outperform the competition by 147%. (Source: Gallup)Tweet this
If your business is equipped with employees who actively engage with customers, then you will perform way better than your competitors in the market.
41. Companies that excel at customer experience have 1.5 times more engaged employees than less customer-focused companies. (Source: Temkin Group)Tweet this
Another thing that you get to learn from such customer experience statistics is how pivotal it is for your brand to be customer-focused on bringing all elements together. If you are customer-focused, then it will be a lot easier for you to keep your employees engaged and create the best customer experience effectively.
Takeaway: Constant engagement is essential for a business to create the best service experience in comparison to their competitors and outdo them at the same time. These customer engagement statistics for 2021 suggest how crucial it is to get the experience right for your customers to help them continue their journey with the brand.
Customer Experience & Retention Statistics
42. 49% of buyers have made impulse purchases after receiving a more personalized experience. (Source: PwC)Tweet this
Personalized customer experience is the key to retain your customers to the business. It allows you to not only create a sense of loyalty towards your brand, but also prompt them to make more product purchases in the future.
43. 67% of consumers said good customer experience encourages them to stay longer or spend more money. (Source: Forbes)Tweet this
If you wish to retain your customers in the long haul, then it is all the more essential for you to work upon the customer experience and their journey with the brand. With better experience, your customers will be motivated to stay longer with you or invest more in your services or products.
Takeaway: The above-mentioned customer experience stats indicate the relevance of customer experience and how a good one can result in customer retention.
Customer Experience & Loyalty Statistics
44. 90% of American customers share their customer service experiences with others. (Source: American Express)
If it is a good experience, then 90% of American customers feel that it is worth sharing with others through different mediums. For them, this is the best way to reward a business by sharing the best experience with others.
45. Happy American customers will share their positive experiences with and refer to about 11 people. (Source: American Express)
The same study suggests that American customers would not only share their experience with other people but would also end up referring the business to 11 different people.
Takeaway: Both the customer experience stats show two different ways in which customers would express their loyalty to a brand if they’ve had the best customer experience with them.
Customer Experience & Satisfaction Statistics
46. Companies that are experience-led have 1.6x higher brand awareness, 1.5x higher employee satisfaction, and 1.9x higher average order value. Experience-led businesses also have 1.7x higher customer retention, 1.9x return on spend, and 1.6x higher customer satisfaction rates. (Source: Forrester)Tweet this
These numbers in the above mentioned Forrester study shows how important it is for companies to be customer experience led to make sure that customer satisfaction numbers never drop.
47. 97% of CX team leaders agreed that CXM (customer experience management) is a business strategy for creating loyal customer relationships, and 89% said it includes any effort to improve customer satisfaction.
(Source: The Crocodile)Tweet this
To improve customer satisfaction, customer experience team leaders find CXM an effective strategy because it helps a business create loyal customer relationships.
Takeaway: Customer experience is not only essential to boost loyalty among existing customers but also for the improving existing satisfaction rate among customers that drives your brand sales.
Customer Experience & Live Chat Statistics
48. 47.5% of U.S. internet users feel the greatest challenge with live chat and chatbots are they provide too many unhelpful responses. (Source: Statistica)Tweet this
The best way to create delightful experiences for your customers in real-time with live chat is to focus on providing solutions that matter to customers.
49. The number of consumers that use live chat over the phone and email support has increased by more than 50% since 2012. (Source: Forrester)Tweet this
This stat is proof of how important it is for customers to have a great experience with a brand. Not only do they get faster resolution but also a seamless experience where they do not have to wait in a queue to get an answer.
50. Retail and e-commerce are the fastest-growing segments for live chat software. (Source: Business Wire)Tweet this
The reason why eCommerce and retail platforms have willingly integrated live chat software to their platform is because of its performance and how customers find it convenient to get quick answers to their questions.
Takeaway: In a nutshell, customers find the use of live chat software useful because it creates a smooth journey for them with a brand. Therefore, your brand has all the more reasons to integrate a live chat tool because it will allow you to streamline support queues and build delightful customer experiences and journeys.
Future of Customer Experience
51. 80% of your company’s future revenue will come from just 20% of your existing customers. (Source: Gartner)Tweet this
According to Gartner, companies will get 20% of their future revenue from their existing customers. That means providing consistent services is all the more essential for a business to sustain and keep getting business from existing customers.
52. By 2020, more than 40% of data analytics projects will relate to customer experience. (Source: Gartner)Tweet this
The same source suggests that more than 40 percent of data analytics projects would predict the ins and outs of customer experience in the future. That means what works during customer service, what aspects need improvement, and more will on the target for business owners. They’d like to know these aspects better so they could offer the best possible customer service experience hassle-free.
53. Stagnating CX quality will cause short, destructive price wars. Up to 20% of companies will throw in the towel and give up trying to differentiate on the basis of CX. (Source: Forrester)Tweet this
A clear indicator that business owners will have to improve their customer experience strategies to make sure they pass through different criteria on the basis of which it will be measured in future.
Takeaway: The future of customer experience is pretty much clear as these statistics show how important it will be for customers to consider service experience as one of the major factors to do business with a brand.
I hope that this extensive list of statistics on customer experience for 2021 helps you learn what to do and what not to do while creating impactful customer experience strategies for your customers.
We're here to help if you need us. Give us a call at (855) 776-7763 (Toll-Free), and one of our team members will be there to provide any support you require.
Do you want a free Live Chat software?
We have the #1 Live Chat software for delightful customer support starting at $0