Act Vs Sat

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#1 Scythe2147

Scythe2147

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

most colleges now will accept ACT scores on there own. the SAT is optional now, in high schools in Oklahoma over half of the student body will only take the ACT and not bother with the SAT.

#2 unnameduser

unnameduser

• PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

Most colleges ask for a minimum ACT and add "or equivalent SAT"
CompTIA
A+ Dec 07
Net+ Jan 09
Microsoft
070-620

Next
?

#3 CodeFind

CodeFind

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

Whenever I get confused, I go here and solve my problems

#4 Judy Su

Judy Su

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Scythe2147 @ Apr 3 2007, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most colleges now will accept ACT scores on there own. the SAT is optional now, in high schools in Oklahoma over half of the student body will only take the ACT and not bother with the SAT.

[size=3]
Has the ACT format changed since the 1990's?  SAT has, so I was wondering if ACT did as well (if I remember correctly, the test had 4 sections, 9 points max each, for a total max score of 36).

#5 bruhle

bruhle

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

Whats the scoring scale for the two?

#6 RocMat1

RocMat1

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

I know that the ACT top score is 36.. SAT I think is 1800, not sure though

#7 CLBeilby

CLBeilby

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE(Scythe2147 @ Apr 3 2007, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that the ACTs were accepted as early as 1990 as an alternative to the SATs in the California State University system (I did the ACTs myself, and had no problem with admission.)

#8 JohnnyNYC2000

JohnnyNYC2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

Wikipedia shows the proportion of people in each state that take the ACT & SAT exams. A significantly higher proportion of people take the SAT on the East and West coasts than they do in the midwest. People in the midwest overwhelmingly favor the ACT. There appears to be little advantage either way since how you do judged by the percentile you fall into. Since I don't believe that people on the Coasts are on average any smarter or dumber than people in the Midwest, the test should be indicative of your intelligence on the subject matter tested.

Whatever you do, take both practice tests to figure out which one you'll do better on! Some people's percentile scores can vary dramatically between the two tests. While peoples' scores are highly correlated with regards to the percentage their score falls into on both tests, there is usually one test that an individual, for whatever reason, will do better on (I got in the 99th percentile on the ACT and the 94th on the SAT - I don't know why).

You should take practice tests to figure out which test (SAT vs. ACT) that you're better at. Here is a link to PDF versions of both the SAT and ACT practice exams created by their respective owners: http://www.varsitytutors.com/standardizedtests.html . I found it really helpful.

#9 dominantmind

dominantmind

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

The ACT and SAT practice tests were both about the same in difficulty to me. but I ended up taking the ACT

#10 Arkkos

Arkkos

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

I took the SAT a few years ago, though i didn't get a great score. It was good enough to be accepted for the six CSU's that i applied to. I didn't take the ACT.

#11 soymilk7

soymilk7

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

After taking both SAT and ACT, I liked the SAT better. It was easier imo. The ACT was long, the question portions were long compared to the SATs, and material was more intricate and complex. (Hardly though, just comparing the two) However, I believe that taking both ACT and SAT had a positive impact on my admission to my university, as compared to someone who had only taken one or the other.

#12 rudedogz2

rudedogz2

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

I took the ACT about 5 years ago... didn't seem any tougher or easier than any of the other standardized tests I'd taken up to that point.

#13 DeannainCO

DeannainCO

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

Be sure you find out which test is required by the college(s) you want to get into.  Some schools accept only the SAT, some only the ACT, and some require one of the two.  And Johnny is correct - the majority of schools on the West and East coasts require the SAT; most schools in the center of the country require the ACT.

Check with your college(s) to find out which they will accept.

#14 propersnazzy

propersnazzy

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

i go to school in minnesota,
and i know you're required to take the ACT,
but i plan on going to college outside of mn.
is it beneficial to take both if i'm not sure what
the colleges i'm interested in accept?

#15 johnmarydoe

johnmarydoe

• PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Yes, ACT seems to gain a lot ground these days, a lot of people are shifting from SAT to ACT, but the problem is that there are still some school that insist in SAT. I think ACT is a great alternative but before that you should still try the SAT. In case you guys need to prep for the SAT or ACT, visit this www.academichacker.com , they have great ACT and SAT techniques and academic updates and it's updated pretty often, not like other websites. Good luck!

#16 OOOBeccaOOO

OOOBeccaOOO

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (bruhle @ Aug 26 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats the scoring scale for the two?

The SAT is sored as a 2400 being the highest score

#17 champs

champs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

A friend recommended winingprep.com for gmat preparations. I must say that it is a must-visit site for all gmat aspirants. It has excellent ebooks on maths, improving comprehension and grammar, and critical reasoning.

http://www.winingprep.com

#18 pilotcs

pilotcs

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

lol that post had to do nothing with ACT vs SAT

anyway, the new scoring scale for the SAT is 2400, not the old 1600 or as someone earlier said, 1800.

#19 jongao

jongao

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

I think the questions on the ACT are more practical than the questions on the SAT

#20 nikmash232

nikmash232

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

i gotta admit act questions are more straight forward..easier for me even though there is such a short time to finish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.