18 replies to this topic

#1 jkazza

jkazza

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:football /squash/ taking my sons to watch DERBY COUNTY

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

i have just bought a wireless pci network card it is a linksys dual band A+G installed fine but i cant seem to connect to internet through my wireless modem

#2 jkazza

jkazza

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

am i right to say that you can have just 1 pc in the house and still connect wireless to internet

#3 jkazza

jkazza

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

yes modem is wireless its a netgear sent out by AOL is it any thing to do with aol you think

#4 Stoldalm

Stoldalm

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Is the modem a modem and a wireless router? This is changing gears, but is the computer getting an ip address?

#5 icewolf

icewolf

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music, Technology, Fitness, Cars

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

You say you cant connect to the internet, what about any other network resources?

Assuming you are connected to the network, what about the proxy settings in internet explorer > tools > connections > LAN settings, nothing in there should be written in.

to get to the web GUI for netgear, it usually defaults at 192.168.0.1, username admin with no password, ensure that all the settings are correct from your ISP, if in dought ring em up for info, you will need your username, password and i think thier DNS server address's

Edited by icewolf, 19 June 2007 - 05:24 AM.

IT/Network Technician at KLB School, UK

---------------------
Comptia Network+ Certified - August 2007
Comptia A+ 220-601 & 220-602 Certified - March/April 2008
---------------------
Future projects: MCSA
---------------------

#6 mbrooks1

mbrooks1

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

you said it installed correctly, is it in a laptop or a desktop?  laptops often have a power saving feature disabling the network when not connected to ac power.  if it detects any wireless networks in range the card is working.  start from there with disabling the firewall.  run the netgear cd to install matching security that is initally set on new wireless routers.  a common error is having a wireless card in the computer but not having a wirless router, you must have both.  

assuming you have both and can detect wireless networks within range, from start button sellect run and type "cmd" then enter.  a dos window will open.  type "ipconfig /a"  if the ip address is 169.254.x.x it is windows assigned.  a problem with configuration exist.  firewall is number one cause, missing or wrong wep key (or wap key), networking not enabled is possible but should not be an issue if netgear cd was loaded.  
quickest fix is to reboot, if configured properly, win xp claims to not require restart but often does.

hope some part of this helps.

#7 jnorman10

jnorman10

* Outstanding Sr Expert *

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:52 AM

Do you know which software vendor is configuring/monitoring your connection??

I've seen the Linksys wireless software knock heads and conflict with the Windows wireless utilities if they run at the same time.

Maybe just use the Windows utilities version...

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!!

Edited by jnorman10, 27 June 2007 - 04:52 AM.

"That boy is jumpin off Cabinets and eatin Brillo Pads... He's not goin to Harvard!"

B.S. in Computer Science
CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Inet + Certified
CompTIA Network + Certified
CompTIA Security + Certified

#8 gardnds

gardnds

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Your first and best bet would be to try and connect through a hard wire connection through the linksys router.  If that works then you know there is connection and all is well.  Next I would check you ip address.  If you are pulling a 192.168.1.n number then you are connected to the router.  What I have found out is that if you setup the router with a password then it sometimes resolves connection issues.  To do that open up the IE and type in 192.168.1.1.  This will bring up a router login.  Depending on the model of Linksys the username will be either blank or admin and the password will be admin.  Once in go to the wireless section and setup a key for the wireless.  See if that helps.

#9 Isabel75

Isabel75

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I agree with advindevis. And I have both PC and laptop, everything is connected to the wireless connection.

free online tv

free tv player

#10 evaanscook

evaanscook

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Networking allows or more computers to interface with each other, whether in an office, a library or other type of establishment, or at home. It at an office or place of business makes it simple to share files, printers, and Web access between all of the computers. Lots of of the newer laptops on the market come fully equipped for wireless networking, and you can buy a wireless card to upgrade your computer if it does not already have wireless networking capabilities.

#11 floresmarteen

floresmarteen

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Wireless networking and wireless Internet access may seem dangerous to some people. Moreover, businessmen, entrepreneurs, where to a wireless LAN is known as a hot spot a valuable tool for students and take the laptop you, it means that you can connect to the Internet. If you do not know how to set up this functionality, and your wireless service, you can call a provider of wireless modem or router manufacturer.

#12 nelsonheell

nelsonheell

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

Wireless network is the system which run in more than offices which have more pcs and that connected with each others. It is the best way of network connection, because it does not required any row materials like wires or other external hardware. There are some wireless connections, which are blue-tooth, wi-fi, infrared.

#13 adamzbaker

adamzbaker

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

Wireless networking is the best way of build network connection. Because that not required cables for connections. It like one satelilte system. There are some devices which are the part of wireless network. Bluetooth, Infrared, Wi fi are wireless devices which used more.

#14 Nancy Parker

Nancy Parker

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:11 AM

Wireless is rapidly gaining it's popularity for both home and business networking. Wireless technology continues to improve, and the cost of wireless products continues to decrease. Following site has some more information about wireless networking.http://www.yale.edu/its/network/wireless/index.html
You are definitely capable of doing what you think you can't!

#15 siymenthomas

siymenthomas

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Wireless networking is very much popular and effective also. People prefer to make the use of wirless networking due to some of the benefits like Increased efficiency, You are rarely out of touch , Greater flexibility and mobility for users, Reduced costs and many more.

#16 jordenora

jordenora

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

The term Internet today refers to the global public Internet computers running Protocol.I-OS offers a range of modern, sophisticated and easy to use networking technologies.

#17 valenweiss

valenweiss

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:52 AM

Wireless networks can be used for school, office and even at house. A person will be able to setup a simple link in their home. This is amazing for those that do not require wires strung all over the home to hook each computer up to the net.It is vital for college students to be able to access the net and the schools knowledge technique directly from their dorm room.

#18 neallbeck

neallbeck

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Improve and share knowledge

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Wireless networking is a communication system that with different systems and technical devices. It make communication without wired connections that with better frequency of devices.

#19 examkill

examkill

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Please read manual first and then install, I have seen many people facing problem in wifi or wireless networking. It is also recommended to set all your settings from 192.168.1.1, If you are still facing the problem, then you should directly contact with them from whom you bought that modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.