Windows Vista

• You cannot reply to this topic
42 replies to this topic

#1 miguela

miguela

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

I've heard a lot of talk about Windows Vista lately.  I was wondering if anyone here has installed a version of Vista.  I would like to have some feedback as to what people think.

#2 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

I am planning to get it but other than thier online demos dont have any experience with it.

I know there were some posts on it already.

Anyone with any experience? Will love to hear more ...
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#3 neovirus

neovirus

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:31 AM

this is a bull**** guys it requires 1 gb of RAM And really uses many sysytem resources

Edited by spy1954, 10 February 2007 - 09:27 AM.

#4 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Think I'll be buying one today.. or atleast going over to Frys to have a look .. Its for my wife
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#5 mana333

mana333

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

I can get it free from my University. They have a server with all of the microsoft products available for free to students.. ie server 2003, vista business, xp pro, MS Access, VM, .net... basically any product you could want just for being a student. Anyways back on point, even though they've made Vista available since launch, I haven't even bothered to download it. I offered to put it on my wife's laptop, and she refuses. I think I'll let the early adopters beta test Vista for me. As somebody pointed out, it seems like a resource hog. I can't see sacrificing resources for a narrow gain in graphical aesthetics. Not to mention the incompatibility with a lot of hardware and software. And then to top it all off, it's DRM friendly... Yeah, not worth it.

#6 joshg01

joshg01

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, I'm not too excited about it either.  First, you have all the bugs that come with a new operating system, then you have the fact that it wants to monopolize all of the system resources, and I'm not sure what kind of new DRM stuff is being included but with the problems I ran into when running Windows Media Center I doubt it will be any better.  When I bought this computer I specifically had in mind meeting the requirements to upgrade to Vista but now that its actually released it just doesn't seem like such a big deal to me....especially with the price tag.  I could use that money to work on my certifications and that is exactly what I intend to do.

Joshua
Joshua
-----------------
A+ Certified
MCP 70-290

#7 onaquest

onaquest

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hi,
I'm interested in Vista from the standpoint of an enthusiast who gets exited about any new OS, especially if eye candy is involved (I'm an artist). I've only played with it at my favorite tech stores, and from what I could tell, it actually seemed pretty fast, even on an Athalon 3000 (I think),single core machine with 512 MB of RAM, and the Home Basic, which in my opinion is nice to look at too. Oh yeah I'm really into the way it's written, too, and Vista has some fundamental differences. Once the early bugs are worked out, I plan to try out, on maybe a self-built rig.  thumbs_up.gif

#8 millsy5

millsy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (miguela @ Feb 7 2007, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard a lot of talk about Windows Vista lately.  I was wondering if anyone here has installed a version of Vista.  I would like to have some feedback as to what people think.

I wouldn't recommend getting it. My neighbour bought a new PC 2 weeks ago with Vista. It has an AMD3400+ processor and 512MB RAM. It's so slow to even do the simpliest of things such as opening up folders. And the worse thing is that I recommended him getting a new PC as his old one (Windows 98SE, AMD-K6, 128MB RAM) was really slow and picked out that one for him, which would be much faster and suitable for what he'd be using it for (surfing the net and word processing). There isn't a whole lot of extra speed with his new PC for running programs such as Word, etc. And if you're on the desktop for example and double click on "My Computer" (which is now called "Computer"), it takes about 3 seconds to open it whereas with XP it opens instantly. I'll probably have to get him some more RAM. However he only has 2 slots with 2 sticks of 256MB so that memory will no longer be any good if I get him 2 sticks of 512MB. Vista also uses memory for its resources. The 512MB only shows up as having something like 420MB.

I definitely would not buy it just yet. Maybe later on they might rewrite some of the software to speed it up but it's just too slow at the moment.

Edited by millsy5, 12 March 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#9 Pezzercise

Pezzercise

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

I have just recently got the Vista Ultimate, but I am also running an Intel 2 Duo Processer T7400 2.16ghz with 2 100gig 7200rpm harddrives raided at 0. also 2 gigs of ram. And so far I'm loving it. The problems I tend to run into is anytime I want to install anything I tend to have to search for the drivers on the internet. Other than that I really liking it. As always just my opinion. But I do think if your running a higher end machine your not going to run into any slowness
CompTIA A+ Certified

#10 fuquintufjackov

fuquintufjackov

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

It just seems like this OS is way ahead of the market being ready for it. Driver issues are absolutely terrible. So many drivers still don't run stable, but when they do, this will be a nice OS.

The other problem is video. No DX10 cards that are any good let alone affordable, and if you want to run the aero you have to be running an expensive system. It just seems like that the OS needs way too much hardware to run smoothly, which is either an indication of poor coding, or worse, collusion between MS and hardware manufacturers to drive the market with this OS.

#11 Pezzercise

Pezzercise

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Also just wanted to mention that I had forgotten to mention before. If you are only running 512 mb of ram you can also supplement it with an inexpensive 2 gig flash drive. I haven't actually tried this yet but tonight I will try it and see if speeds up the system. I probably won't see much of a difference seeing I'm already running 2 gigs of ram but worth a try. See if it ups the benchmark at all. From what I've read it's suppose to use the flash drive as RAM, somewhat of speedy pagefile . I suppose?
CompTIA A+ Certified

#12 latoyya

latoyya

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (miguela @ Feb 7 2007, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

appl.gif  appl.gif I have two laptops one of them is a HP pavillion dv 4000 that I installed vista home basic on it which I think was a waste on money because it is just like XP the basic things or the same concept but just a different format (i.e control panel, network and connection sharing)

The other laptop is a HP Pavillion dv 6000t and it is running home premium and I simply love it from the glass like desktop to the windows aero i think its neat.  Alot of old software games I have though is not compatible with either OS but for the most part I think its worth the upgrade.  There is even a built in troubleshooter for a failed network connection (not only repair it gives detail info about the issue).

You can download a upgrade advisory from microsoft to see if your current pc is capable of running either 4 of the different OS.

I think it would be a good look if you are thinking about upgrading appl.gif  appl.gif
A.A.S  ECT
A+ Certified
Network+ Certified

#13 Scythe2147

Scythe2147

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

a side by side comparision on Tom's Hardware of XP and Vista, shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that, of the programs they ran on identical systems, that XP performed equivalent or better then Vista. The recap at the end of the results stated that if you needed things donw quickly that you should get XP, but if you had extra time on your hands and wanted to spend it waiting on your computer to run a program, then Vista was a better choice.

#14 rstoeckel

rstoeckel

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Boating and many others

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

You need a lot of horsepower to run Vista min. requirement IMO is a 2.5 daul core cpu and 2GB of ram. Ram is the major factor in Vista. Another issue is driver and application support...the product has some maturing to do but I like it. Or will once I figure out where everything is and how to get to it.
The real question is...how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

#15 lou1386

lou1386

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hi

I own a desktop pc and two laptops. All with very good specs, especialy my HP Pavilion dv6234ea

On the pavilion I have vista Home premium and on the other systems I'm playing around with Ultimate. But I must add that I still desire working on XP and dual boot xp and vista( THATS ANOTHER HEADACHE)

My point is, this is where alot of people will differ with me, but for me having Home Premium ther is no need for Ultimate, considering it only has the backup and bitlocker extra. And Home Premium has the media Centre on as well. For the former you can just use a better thrd party backup tool. I find imaging quite reliable and easy. All the work I have done on my xp machine for years now, just works fine. Except for the occasional software hickup.

Use it and see for yourself. The problem for me was the same, I heard what others said about it and that prvented me from trying it for myself. Its good reliable and I enjoy it.

In fact, I have Virtual PC 2007 running on it as wel, my virtual machines are Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, SUSE 10.1

I do not have any complaints and would recommend it. But thats my opinion, and as I said I still work alot on XP

Have a good one!

cheers.gif

#16 kyran

kyran

• PipPipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:computers, guitar (country rock older stuff) chess,<br /> playing games

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:56 AM

I have put vista on my machine twice
the theory being customers are buy vista machines and we need to know how they work to fix them

it seems to have much too much security  for me  setting the network up was not the easiest and i've set up hundreds, but it could well be what i'm used to, clashing with how it's gonna be now
back on xp at the moment as i'm still needing to use the computer and vista isn't user friendly enough for us tinkerers. even bought the idiots guide smile.gif
I have home premium apparently i needed ultimate for networks, yeah right!
computer tech
southern computer solutions
portsmouth England

#17 camosun_elex

camosun_elex

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

put vista on, the beta crashed my system completely twice before installlation was complete. The final version, legit copy, was kind of pretty to look at, but didnt seem to do anything much different than XP for my use, so i went back to xp pro.

#18 Aman

Aman

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (miguela @ Feb 7 2007, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Window Vista installation is quite easy more GUI, I had install three four times. I did like very much

#19 icewolf

icewolf

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music, Technology, Fitness, Cars

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

its crap imo, a few better looking things, i dont like the new way all programs are shown and a lot of things still dont work on my PC either at all or they crash often, and this is with vista drivers.

as ive only got OEM license for ultimate, im going to buy an xp pro licence next time i upgrade and stay with that till xp support runs out
IT/Network Technician at KLB School, UK

---------------------
Comptia Network+ Certified - August 2007
Comptia A+ 220-601 & 220-602 Certified - March/April 2008
---------------------
Future projects: MCSA
---------------------

#20 mccj37

mccj37

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

I have managed to play around with the system and have found it to be unimpressive at a glance.  However, upon using it more I might find myself to come to a different conclusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.