• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 pbc

pbc

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Have A+, and Net+ and now Sec +

Passed with a 875 out of 900. Only 750 needed to pass.

Was definitely a difficult test, I studied over a long period of time for it. It covers everything they said it covers.
And for the last week before it I went over as many test questions and flashcards as I could find.

Professor Messer videos are a good resource but I didn't really use them all that much because I'm just not that type of learner.

Mike Meyers' CompTIA Security+ Certification Passport 3rd Edition was the only book I used. Helped me grasp some concepts and I believe was in depth enough in most places.

Went through lots of practice questions and flash cards from proprofs. If you find a concept or question you don't understand go search and learn more about it.
Ones that came with the book were good but I don't think they were too much like the actual test.

Questions I wasn't sure about...
specifics about RADIUS and TACACS+ remote protocols. Atleast 3-4 questions on that.   Ports...differences. Protocol.

As always be mindful of exactly what they are asking for when they say the "Best" solution or "Most likely".
IE. Two of the answers are correct but one of them is the better suited.
For instance....know the differences between Host/Personal firewall and HIPS/HIDS.  Firewall is good for questions when you are only worried about attacks over the network and HIPS/HIDS is local and network attacks.

Most of the encryption questions centered around which has the smallest key size, quickest encryption.

Couple hash questions. Know what they do and which is stronger

Definitely search the web for more practice questions. There are some good places out there.

Definitely had a question or two on PKI. What it is, what it accomplishes.  Key Escrow.

Acouple on malware, mostly related to rootkits for me.

So anyway, I'd be happy to offer more information to anyone who inquires.
My next step is probably Linux + or other linux related endeavors.
Back to work!

Edited by pbc, 26 April 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#2 storassa

storassa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:17 AM

Congrats!

I'm preparing this exam, but currently I'm able to pass only 77% of 100 questions of the Sample Questions test provided by CompTIA.
Did you try that test? Is it reaaly similar to the question you found in the exam?

In particular I found in that test questions I wasn't able to answer even looking on my preparation book (Deluxe Study Guide, by E. Dulaney) or Google or Wikipedia or any other resource. An example? What is the weakness of Halon as fire estinguisher? I found that it is now deprecated for the Ozone issue, but it is not harmful for human beings, it can be used for electronic equipment, so what? None of the possible choices was correct, as far as I found on the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.