• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Insomnia

Insomnia

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Since Transk53 mentioned this post may be useful to others, I'm setting it aside as its own thread.  I'll leave it up to the mods to decide whether it's worth stickying.

Without further ado, these are my tips for first time PC builders:

First thing I would do is research research research. First decide what kind of system you're building and set a budget. Will it be a gaming system? Graphic design? Home Theatre PC? Do you want to be able to upgrade it in the future, or are you fine with older parts? Questions like these can help you define what parts you should be getting.

Setting a goal, a budget, and a timeline is important as it will help define why you need this computer and what will be financially feasible for you. Those top tier parts may make your mouth water, but consider that in as short of a period as a couple months there may be something out that can match the speed for hundreds of dollars less. Of course there will always be something else better coming out, so try and set a firm date of when you want your PC to be up and running by.

I've seen mentioned by many people that you shouldn't get the latest parts. I partially disagree with this. While I agree that when a brand new technology (such as with solid state drives and the Sandforce II incident) first comes out it may be better to stick with older tech, with more proven technologies it pays to stay ahead of the curve. A great example of this was when Sandy Bridge was released. When it was initially released, many of the Sandy CPUs could outperform the mid-ranged Enthusiast Core i7 CPUs all at a better price point. Bulldozer is an example where the advantages of new technology may be situational. AMD's latest chipset is great for multi-threaded workloads, but if you aren't planning on taking advantage of all of the cores in a CPU, an older Phenom II dual or quad core is still their best offer in most cases.

The best advice I can give is to always know what's coming and what will be supported. Intel is seemingly going with a new motherboard chipset every CPU now, so you'll have to make sure to buy these in combination, AMD on the other hand will be supporting AM3 CPUs for the forseeable future. If triple-channel RAM comes back on Intel's new 2011 socket then you need to know that not all memory supports the voltages used by tri-channel boards. Cases can last for years on the market, and will support any upcoming mobo, so waiting for a deal on that case you really like can be a good idea. As in the AMD example above, keep in mind what you're buying and why you're buying it.

Last word of advice is to plan on upgrades. If you want to have that sweet decked out system, maybe spend more on a high-end board and CPU and then upgrade over the coming years. Eg: buy that GT 560 on sale for 80 bucks right now with a $600 motherboard combo, then next year when you have more cash get that triple SLI setup you've always wanted. Research is always the key to a good system build.

Edited by Insomnia, 07 December 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#2 Transk53

Transk53

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Technology. Gaming and Overclocking. Reading and Writing (fanfic) If only I could add keeping fit to that :D But first and foremost, A+ and N+ to get nailed.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

This is great advice and well worth adhering too. One thing with Bulldozer is that it is a Server/Workstation platform that does not have the capibillity for fetching and decoding like a Phenom II Core can do. Bulldozer relies on Execution Units within what AMD term a Module or Modules. Basically it is crap with single threads and will need Windows 8 to optomise its threading performance. According to Custom PC, its IPC is still down on the Sandy Bridge Cores. Thus they still outstrip the Bulldozer cores on raw processing performance. Stick with Intel as Ivy Bridge is due next year and will still outstrip AMD.

#3 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

penisadvantage
the truth about six pack abs

#4 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

penis advantage
panic away

#5 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

penis advantage
burn the fat review

#6 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

penis advantage
acne no more reviewspenis advantage

#7 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

penis advantage
fat burning furnace reviews

#8 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

penisadvantage
pregnancymiracle

#9 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

penisadvantage
the truth about abs review

#10 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

penis advantage
coffee shop millionaire review

#11 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

penis advantage
coffee shop millionaire reviews

#12 pohappyi

pohappyi

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

penisadvantage
burn the fat feed the muscle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.