•     

Mathematical Comprehension? (does That Make Sense?)

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 x0xMartyx0x

x0xMartyx0x

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

I found this math problem in an older forum to show as an example.  The problem I am having is this:  When I see a math problem, I draw a blank and have no idea how to set it up to solve it.  But once I see the numbers set up the way they are supposed to be to find the solution, I have no problem at all.  Here's the example...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (demigod_sat @ Sep 17 2011, 10:09 AM) *
tom,dick and harry went for lunch to a restaurant. tom had 100$ with him. dick had 60$ and harry had 40$. they got a bill for 104$ and decided to give a tip of 16$. they furthur decided to share the total expenses in the ratio of the amounts of money each carried. the amount of money which tom paid more than what harry paid is ______

A.120
B.200
C.60
D.24
E.36

pls help me in solving the problem sad.gif

the ratio of their money 100:60:40= 5:3:2
including the tips they paid 104+16=120
now, 5x+3x+2x = 120
so, x=12
so, tom paid 5x=60
and harry paid 2x=24
so, the answer is 60-24=36

i think i am right!! wink.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone knew that the way to solve this was by developing the simplified ratio and applying it to a formula to determine how much each of them paid.  And then of course, the simple math to find the difference.  I wouldn't have known to set it all up this way, and this is the BIGGEST problem I have always had in math.  Any recommendations or suggestions at all to help me out?  Is it too confusing to understand what my issue is exactly?  Thanks for any help. smile.gif

-Marty-

#2 x0xMartyx0x

x0xMartyx0x

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hey thanks for the response bro.  But how did you know you could solve it that way?  That's the problem I have with math.  I guess its a difficult question to solve with just a simple answer.  When I read a math problem, I dont know how to set it up numerically to solve it.  Is it like key words or something I should look for in the explanation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.