• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

I'm currently reading through a Thomson Course Technologies Security+ book. I highly recommend it. It's very focused and easy to read with great depictions and graphics to explain terminology and locations.

Be prepared for terminology though. That's pretty much 90% of the Security+ exam right there. Terminology and definitions and actually understanding how they work together.
*B.S. Telecommunications Systems Management
*A.A.S. Information Technology
*CompTIA A+ Certified (731 Core, 679 OS Technologies)
*CompTIA Network+ Certified (695)
*CompTIA Security+ Certified (852)
*Microsoft Certified Professional (70-270; 778)

#2 skychart

skychart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

I think I will be ok with terminology.  Except acronyms.  I am acronymed out.  There are too many 3 letter abreviations that can mean several different things.  Drives me nuts!  Wonder how that will be on the Security + exam.

#3 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (cbrzana @ Aug 1 2006, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nickheel - What is the ISBN for the book you are using? I'm finding a few different books from Thomson, and want to check out the one you are recommending since you have been a reliable source in the past. Thanks!

HERE is the link to the textbook. HERE is a link to the accompanying lab manual.

The reason I bought it is because it's the textbook my college's Security+ class used. I didn't have the class prerequisites to take the Security+ class, so when the spring semester was over, I just talked to a friend from my Cisco class who was also in Securty+ and bought the book off of him.

It worked out really well for both of us. His price cost me less than what the school's bokstore would have charged and he got more from me than what the bookstore would have given him back.

I like the book because of the hands on projects at the end of each chapter and how it explains each section. It's more in depth than simply "You need to know the definition of blank". It teaches you the application of the terminology so you can easily answer the scenerio questions on the test.

One thing I will warn you about. The telephony chapter. Yikes. Sadly enough, there's telephony stuff in Security. Have to learn how to secure PBX systems and such sad.gif But it's not too muh. Some of the chapters seem to go on forever, but what's cool is when you can sit down and study and read in a quiet environment. You just don't want to put it down.

That is, if you're nerdy like me and you find network security "really cool" and "interesting". It's like...watching a modern marvels show on the History Channel or something tongue.gif

#4 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

I'm reading on the stuff tonight. I'm not sure I can finish in time to take the test on Monday or next Friday.

#5 jnorman10

jnorman10

* Outstanding Sr Expert *

• 887 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:53 AM

NickHeel...

You taken the Security + exam yet? Just wondering what you saw? Thanks.
"That boy is jumpin off Cabinets and eatin Brillo Pads... He's not goin to Harvard!"

B.S. in Computer Science
CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Inet + Certified
CompTIA Network + Certified
CompTIA Security + Certified

#6 ipchain

ipchain

* Outstanding Sr Expert *

• 912 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything related to computers, yup!

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Nickheel,

Was Security+ Guide to Networking Security Fundamentals, Second Edition the only book you used for Security+ ? I'm planning to take Security+ next, and I am currently looking for books. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every day hurts, the last one kills.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+ Certified.
Microsoft Certified Professional ( MCP )
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator ( MCSA 2003 )
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ( MCSE 2003 )

Work in Progress: CCNA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.