• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Earley8

Earley8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

I'm having a problem with a family members computer. It is an old Compaq put together from spare parts. It has run extremely well for about 4 or 5 years now. Never had any signs of hardware problems. Recently they told me it was telling them there was no CPU fan and it was rebooting after 5 seconds.

I checked the bios and sure enough I didn't see a fan speed. So, I opened the computer to find that there never was a CPU fan installed, it just had a heat sync. Obviously I was very confused since it has run just fine with no CPU fan for several years. To my knowledge no major hardware or software changes have been made recently.

I assume either the CPU or the motherboard is causing the problem. I know it can't be the CPU overheating as it isn't on long enough to gather sufficient heat. I don't want to go buying replacement parts that I'm not sure will fix the problem. Should I just go with my first instinct and either get a new computer or build one?

If anyone has run into something like this before and might have an idea of the exact problem then I might go with that instead. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Insomnia

Insomnia

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

At 5 years old, made out of spare parts?  I'd just go ahead and buy a new computer for them.

As for what the problem may be?  BIOS updates may cause this, possibly an XP one as well?  I don't know of any hardware failure which would suddenly cause a new error for an existing problem to come up.  You could always spend the 5 bucks for a fan to see if that would make a difference?

But considering the age, it might be better just to call it quits.

#3 JessicaSNV

JessicaSNV

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Internet Choice let's you compare over 600 broadband plans from 15 of Australia's leading Broadband Providers.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi,
I think spending a little money on fan and some of the parts will be a good choice and increase the life of your system up to 2-3 or more years. I don't think, five years is a long period for hardware, if you are not running too many gaming applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.