Vocab

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinteta

kevinteta

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

My teacher for the SATs said it's not too important to study for the vocab, and work on your reading comprehention skills instead with your time. Is this true?

#2 aking8294

aking8294

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (kevinteta @ Jun 26 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My teacher for the SATs said it's not too important to study for the vocab, and work on your reading comprehention skills instead with your time. Is this true?

The passages are definitely the bulk of the critical reading section; however, studying vocab helps to better understand the passages because the SAT testmakers tend to throw in passages with difficult words. I would actually recommend studying vocab whenever you can, because the sentence completion portion is pretty much free points if you know the definitions of the words. But if you have a great vocabulary, and don't have trouble with sentence completion, then maybe you should focus more on the passages.

Edited by aking8294, 29 June 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#3 TutorDelphia

TutorDelphia

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

I have mixed feelings about this question.

I think it is useful to study vocab, but the way you really learn and retain vocab is by learning a word in context.  A lot of vocab study takes the words out of the context, so while you may retain the words for a bit, in 6 months you'll have forgotten.

So you either need to use really good methods for studying vocab that include context or you need to read for enjoyment and choose books that you enjoy but are also a bit challenging (which will make you work on both comprehension and vocab).

The other thing is there are specific techniques to work on for the vocab section regardless of whether you know the vocab or not. For example, if you have two blanks, determine if what goes in each blank has a positive or negative connotation. Do a gut check for positive or negative connotation for all the answer choices (even if you don't know the word, you can often tell if it has a  good or bad feeling to it) and answer based on that.

#4 luckysat

luckysat

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Who can tell me what is the minimum I have to memorize?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.