Passed Security+ On Tuesday

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 quinnyfly

quinnyfly

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Flying, ICT, Flight Simulation.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Hi all,

Been ages since I posted something, so here goes! Passed Security+ last Tuesday, sat the 2008 Objectives, as many may know CompTIA now makes this exam a 3yr expiry job, so you will end up with "Security+ ce" on your certificate.

The "ce" part is for continuing education, you can take this path without having to re-sit the exam in 3 yrs, or simply take the exam again to remain certified. (I beleive the A+, N+ are also the same story!)(This all conveniently happend after Jan1 2011 and applies to the A+, N+ and Secuirty+ certs)

Anyhow to help others, I used and seriously recommend Darril Gibson's Book, Security+ get certified get ahead, perhaps the best I have ever seen so far!   Also I found the Securit+ Passport from Mike Myer's very helpful, I also used the exam cram as resouce material and practise exams..

Also make valuable resource of You Tube for Secuirty+ material, there are many vids explaining things like the TCP handshake process, SSL, Asymmetric/symmetric crytography etc.

Certainly use Darril Gibson's book as your main study guide and everything else as supplemental. I only had 2 months to study and crammed it in as much as possible, my score was only 818 out of a possible 900, would have liked to have done better, but maybe next time.

My advice as for the exam, definately study up on organisational policy and procedures, access control, know your algorithms and attacks and ports and protocols. The content of my exam was not what I was expecting, again it just goes to show...."Know your stuff!!"

I often study by using one main book backed-up by other books/material, I would usually print off the objectives and then address them one by one untill I have all of them covered. This worked a treat when I sat my Network+ and A+.

Hope this helps!! My next cert is the CIW NTA first and then CIW securit Associate, this gets bumped up to CIW Security Professional if you already have the NTA and Security+.

After that it looks like a couple of MS certs and then the SSCP and hopefully one day the CISSP.

Best of luck to all..
Steve cool.gif

A+ Core HW
A+ OS
Network+
Security+

CWTS pending
CIW pending
CEH pending
CompTIA Cloud Essentials pending
SSCP pending

#2 bogus1195

bogus1195

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

Congrats on the Pass - Good Luck with the rest
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ORDINARY AND THE EXTRA ORDINARY IS THAT LITTLE "" EXTRA "".

CCNA
MCP ( 290,270 )
ITIL v2
Sec+

Win 7  (LOADING)

#3 SouthernGen

SouthernGen

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

Congrats on successfully passing the exam.  Question for you is did you take the SY201 or SY301 exam??

#4 teamvision

teamvision

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

how to passing the exam? give tips to passing the exam security+....thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.