•     

Mike Meyers Chapter And Practice Questions Similar To Test?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 a+certnewbie

a+certnewbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

i'm using mike meyers A+ 7th edition to study for the A+ cert and i'm about to take the test shortly.

for those of you who have studied using mike meyers textbook, just curious to know if the practice tests that are included on the cd, are similar to the actual test questions??

thanks

#2 Tmoxon82

Tmoxon82

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (a+certnewbie @ Jan 17 2011, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm using mike meyers A+ 7th edition to study for the A+ cert and i'm about to take the test shortly.

for those of you who have studied using mike meyers textbook, just curious to know if the practice tests that are included on the cd, are similar to the actual test questions??

thanks

I was wondering the same thing. Because the practice tests on here seem to have completely different questions. Even questions about things that the book didn't even cover.

#3 zerepdivad

zerepdivad

• PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I've also been wondering that as well.  
I'm just going to use both so that i have the knowledge nonetheless but it'd be nice to know which is actually "closer to the real thing"

#4 kjh091970

kjh091970

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'm facing the same thing with his book. Some of the questions on the practice tests are confusing, I'm just not sure at times what answer he is looking for? It looks like the actual A+ test questions will be worded different, but I have not taken the test yet so I can't say for sure.

smile.gif

#5 AdahlTech

AdahlTech

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

I am also very curious about this.  I very much enjoy his writing style, and his sense of humor, but am worried that achieving the recommended scores on his tests isn't going to leave me as prepared as I should be.

Hopefully the resources on this site will hope bridge any gaps, it would just be nice to know before seeing far more complex questions on the exams.

#6 JerseyOG

JerseyOG

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

The mike myers questions are about the material in the book and not the test. I would use a mesureup like test that will show the wording used. Also exam cram is a good one as well.

#7 jazztractor

jazztractor

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (a+certnewbie @ Jan 18 2011, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks

I just stumbled into the same issues. I bought the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ 2009 Certification 10 cd set and thought..."yeah..I'll just plod through these and should be fine". Low and behold, (mind you...my fault for not doing more research) Windows 7 is included( after Jan 2011) and I had a look at that Sybex book and freaked out which looked really in depth in places  - especially about malware and network attacks. I've got hold of exam cram 5th edition - so have been using that first and referencing it with the Mike Meyers Cds. And trying as much free exam practice tests as i can.

#8 jerendeb

jerendeb

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (brotherbill @ May 20 2011, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All right folks, here goes. No LEGITIMATE resource is going to provide you with the actual questions and answers for the exams. To begin with, it's illegal, as per the NDA (non-disclosure aggreement) that anyone that has access to the exams is required to adhere to.

More times than not, a provider that offers "actual questions" or a "guaranteed pass" is either violating the NDA or is going to provide you with material from an outdated version of the exam. And what are you going to do about it? Most of these outfits are operating from an area where they can't be prosecuted and if you tried, you would be admitting that you cheated on the exam. At that point, you can kiss your chances for certification goodbye and any money you invested to that point is gone as well.

And as far as the wording goes, every author has a different writing style. Even the questions on the exam will reflect different styles simply because they're written by more than one person.

The practice exercises provided with Mike Meters' or Exam Cram or Quentin Docter's or any other respectable resource is not provided to help you "skate" through the testing process. They're provided as a learning aide. If you recognise this simple fact and use these resourses properly, you can still benefit greatly from them. Use them as a supplement to your primary resources, whether it's text books, videos, study guides, what have you. The practice exams can be invaluable as an indicator of your weaknesses. They will point out which areas of the exam that you need to review most. Don't try to use them as a base for your studies and don't continually take the same exams over and over. You're likely to fall into a memorization mode and really won't benefit from them.

These exams are important to your career choice and cost too much to take repeatedly because you were looking for a shortcut. Do yourself and any prospective employers you might have a favor and learn the material. And when your time comes to take the exam, slow down a little and read the questions very carefully. Rushing the exam is usually what will hurt you the most.

Sorry if this rubs any of you wrong, but that's the way it is. And this is only the short version.

Good Luck,
Bill

Thanks Bill. I agree with your points. I personally find Mike Meyers style appealing because he throws in humorous comments which lighten up the tone for a moment. For me that helps me, sort of like a mnemonic. Of course he can't be just like the exam. I think the original question could be better asked, which books or study guides sound most similar to the style of questions on the exam. But you know what - how much does it matter. The material is out there for many styles of learners. Me? I test Dec 5 & 9.

#9 Anthony360

Anthony360

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thank guys for ?'s and answers. Very good info. Bill seems to hit the nail on the head.

#10 jmac1955

jmac1955

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I took and passed the Essentials test. However there was more on the test than expected. I took and failed the practical because of the added Windows 7 test questions. In looking at the first question I knew i was in trouble. I came close to passing but close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades lol

#11 jmac1955

jmac1955

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

I agree with what Brother Bill had to say. I used the Mike meyers book, but it was not updated, I was surprised to see the Windows 7 exam on the test. I have since gotten an updated version of the book but the practice questions were about identical to the earlier version of the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.