12 replies to this topic

#1 Kxxxmacd

Kxxxmacd

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

Hello there, hi.gif

Well after succesfully passing the A+ exams and Network+ exam(with help from ProProfs of course wink.gif ) it's time to move forward and so I've decided that I would like to go for the MCSA/MSCE and Comptia Security+ certifications. Sounds simple you say but not to me. I just keep going round in circles looking for computer based training on the net with some companies charging $$$$ and others only $$$.

So has anyone had any experience ordering this stuff online? What did you pay? Would you recommend it?

I did come across Turbocert selling a bundle of training stuff for only 400$ but with a pricetag like that it does give me doubts.

If only proprofs would get a government grant or something I wouldn't have this problem.(hmm maybe we should start a petition?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kxxxmacd.
While becoming an expert you learn more and more about just one thing and forget more and more about everything else. So don't be scared if you're up against a team of experts you're more than likely to know something they all don't!

#2 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

Kxxxmacd, how about posting which online training you are considering and others could advice you basd on that. There is a lot of scam online so go only with the better reputed names.   cbtnuggets is supposed to be good for online training but i havent really tried it for security+ or Microsoft exams.

Personally I would buy a good book and maybe some cheap videos from Ebay. Wont really pay hundreds of dollars at one place. But it really depends on what the money means to you.

Proprofs N+ school should be completd in next week. Security+ and Server+ shall follow v soon (not take as long as N+).
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#3 Kxxxmacd

Kxxxmacd

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (jbrown @ Jul 3 2006, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kxxxmacd, how about posting which online training you are considering and others could advice you basd on that.

Thanks for your reply James.

I was considering doing this course to obtain my MSCA+MSCE certifications:-

http://www.turbocert.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=82

It's just under 200$ and yes I do doubt whether it is 100% legit as you never do know these days.

Glad to hear that you'll be doing the Security+ soon as I'll be going for that one for sure, any idea how long weeks/months?

As for books they are on the agenda have you got any suggestions regarding Microsoft Training?

Thanks in advance.

Kxxxmacd
While becoming an expert you learn more and more about just one thing and forget more and more about everything else. So don't be scared if you're up against a team of experts you're more than likely to know something they all don't!

#4 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:02 AM

Sorry about the late response. Security+ should take about a month or two.

I'll let users who are more current with MS cert suggest a book for the same. If you share/upload any self made MS notes, we can start the MS section ...if each of us does a little, we can all do lots.
James

#5 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

I split off the last two comments as new topic in the Pub
James

#6 Wali

Wali

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Generally do what you'd do with a random error.  Type Turbocert in google and lets see the general concensus on it.  Eopinions.com is pretty nice.

Some guy wrote this (link- http://www.mcse.ms/message667068.html )

I have used the turbocert cbt courses for windows 2003 and ccna and they are
some of the better cbts in my opinion. The trainers do a good job of coveri
ng material in detail and there are many examples and graphics/diagrams to e
xplain complicated topics. I also like the user interface and the fact that
itís easy to move forward or backward in each video/topic by as little or as
much as needed. Some of the other cbts Iíve used only allowed you to jump t
o the beginning/end of a video or topic forcing you to re-watch the entire t
hing again when all I wanted was to move back a few seconds.

I finished my 5th exam for MCSE last month and the turbocert courses have do
ne a good job of covering all the necessary material to pass each exam. I al
so supplement my training with a reference book (usually Sybex certification
book) and transcender practice tests. The practice tests included with the
turbocert courses are good but they donít emulate the actual MS exam format.
This has been the case with all the other vendor cbt courses Iíve used so I
usually supplement with transcender regardless of which vendorís cbt course
Iím using.

JL

#7 pdennings

pdennings

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:36 AM

There are also other cbt vendors such as TestOut and cbtplanet. I would love to hear feedback on them from anyone who has ever used them.

#8 banana409

banana409

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

What exam would anyone suggest taking after the a+ certification?

#9 MikeyDred

MikeyDred

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

A+ certified and now doing CCNA ... should i have done Network + first ? I know that here most places use Cisco systems but i wasn't sure if i needed any info from Network+ for the CCNA course

#10 jace5869

jace5869

Sr. Expert

• 358 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Normally TestOut and CBT Nuggets are the biggest CBTs...And then there is also LearnKey, which I haven't had to much secess with.
*In Memory of Chookie* Best Dog in the World!

Troy State University
-Student-
B.S. Applied Computer Science Pending....

Sony Electronics, Inc.
IT\Network Technician

#11 nWoJester

nWoJester

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

There are a lot of good websites that offer great training, but I think this site has everything your looking for from study guides to prep tests

#12 gordman

gordman

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

I just keep going round in circles looking for computer based training on the net with some companies charging $$$$ and others only $$$.

Well it's hard to make a decision, we have to admit we cannot complain about the offers. The only problem is: what to choose? I had my MS training online and I am not complaining, it was fast and complex, I am still catching up from now and then and surprisingly I can handle it quite well. I think you should try get some more information about your required computer based training, I am sure you can find good options.

#13 ps.profs

ps.profs

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Kxxxmacd @ Jul 3 2006, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there, hi.gif

Well after succesfully passing the A+ exams and Network+ exam(with help from ProProfs of course wink.gif ) it's time to move forward and so I've decided that I would like to go for the MCSA/MSCE and Comptia Security+ certifications. Sounds simple you say but not to me. I just keep going round in circles looking for computer based training on the net with some companies charging $$$$ and others only $$$.

So has anyone had any experience ordering this stuff online? What did you pay? Would you recommend it?

I did come across Turbocert selling a bundle of training stuff for only 400$ but with a pricetag like that it does give me doubts.

If only proprofs would get a government grant or something I wouldn't have this problem.(hmm maybe we should start a petition?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kxxxmacd.

Check out www.pctech101.com.  They have a slightly dated Security+ CBT course for an unbelievable price that is very good.   I used it to pass my exam.  I-Am-Certified.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.