• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Monolith

Monolith

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

Hello everyone;
I have been doing self study for over three months now, the book I'm using is called Comtia's 2009 A+ in depth by Jean Andrews Ph.D.
Personally I'm not real happy with it,If there is anyone else out there who is using this book, please provide feed back.
Thanks! help.gif

#2 john32

john32

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

not too familiar with it, but I would definitely recommend any Mike Meyers books or Sybex. I find the Sybex books to be pretty in depth and cover a lot of material. Also check out professormesser.com. free video tutorials, very good stuff
If someone asks you if you are a God...YOU SAY YES!!!!

A.A.S. Computer Network Administration
A+ Certified (June '09)
MCP- Windows XP Professional (April '10)

next: 70-290, Security+, The beast=MCSA!

#3 Gary Hinkle

Gary Hinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

I am also using the Comtia's 2009 A+ in depth by Jean Andrews Ph.D. book.  But I am a hands on learner not a book reader learner, This is how I have learned my current trade and reading a book is difficult for sure.  But from a novice point of view anything is better then having nothing to use and you must start somewhere  I will also check out the other books and web site too.

#4 edfromva

edfromva

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

I tried to use Comptia 09 A+ but i get board quickly by book so choose to do online modules and they seem to help me out alot.

#5 sincere11105

sincere11105

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

I use Mike Meyers book and Professor Messers site...

#6 darkside244

darkside244

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (edfromva @ Jan 16 2011, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to use Comptia 09 A+ but i get board quickly by book so choose to do online modules and they seem to help me out alot.

and where did you find those at I'd love to see them

#7 reneayuk

reneayuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

i heard somuch about comptia, so i decided to take A plus via elearning. i am in dubai i donot know how to start or buy a book, please can someone help me out.

#8 JustinCas

JustinCas

• PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

View Postdarkside244, on 22 February 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

QUOTE (edfromva @ Jan 16 2011, 07:19 AM)

and where did you find those at I'd love to see them

I believe he is either talking about the study guides on this site: http://www.proprofs....ide/index.shtml which is divided into many tiny modules, or possibly the free online A+ certification videos at: http://www.professormesser.com/.

The proprof.com one needs an internet connection throughout the usage of those modules, however the professormesser.com ones are video's which can all be downloaded straight form his website.

Edited by JustinCas, 04 April 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#9 JustinCas

JustinCas

• PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Postreneayuk, on 12 March 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

i heard somuch about comptia, so i decided to take A plus via elearning. i am in dubai i donot know how to start or buy a book, please can someone help me out.

Well the best place to start would be the study guides found at the proprofs.com website (I'm sure this forum is helpful as well). If you don't have a stable internet connection then you could always download the professormesser.com video's and then take your time as you go through those video's as well. One thing you should know is that the video's recommend going through another A+ certification book while you use James Messor's free video's, personally I used Mike Meyers "CompTIA A+ certification All-in-One Exam Guide", if you look online I'm sure can find that book. I got the physical book from the local public library and downloaded the entire book so I could study when I didn't have the physical book (which is a thick volume). One other thing I thought I should mention is that the Mike Meyers book comes with a cd-rom which has tons of useful utilities as well as the "Total Seminar" testing software which breaks down the 27 chapters into 7 practice and final tests, as well as a practice and final for the 220-701 and 220-702 exams. I found the CD so useful that I created an ISO file of it, which if you can get your hands on the physical book it comes in, might not be such a bad idea.

I have also downloaded the sybex A+ e-book, which was somewhat helpful, but seeing as I am already using 3 sources to study from I should be fine as far as self-study goes. Keep in mind I have plenty of hands on experience from doing numeours upgrades, new builds, etc and etc over the years. So in all actuality I have been ready to take the A+ certification exam for a little while now, but want to do as well as I can possibly do.

#10 Chl03

Chl03

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

My book is a little bit outdated but I am finding the online modules and forums extremely helpful. There is such a wealth of information available through this site!

#11 bcoglian

bcoglian

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I found the Messer videos to be very informative especially for those who are not book-based learners but you definitely should review the study modules here at proprof.com as well.

#12 southpaw slammer

southpaw slammer

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

I have the Mike Myers book as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.