2 replies to this topic

#1 mentor99

mentor99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:37 AM

regards, I am currently studying the pro profs study guide

but is it enough to pass the n+ test? most of the n+ study guides a massive books (eg mike meyers n+ guide) has any one passed or know anyone to pass using free online material? (in no way am I taking a dig at these free guides, thank you to you folks who have contributed) its just I want to pass first time as the n+ exam is very expensive

thanks in advance for your responses

#2 timtom22

timtom22

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (mentor99 @ Jul 6 2010, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
regards, I am currently studying the pro profs study guide

but is it enough to pass the n+ test? most of the n+ study guides a massive books (eg mike meyers n+ guide) has any one passed or know anyone to pass using free online material? (in no way am I taking a dig at these free guides, thank you to you folks who have contributed) its just I want to pass first time as the n+ exam is very expensive

thanks in advance for your responses

I would not solely rely on the free online study guides for 3 reasons,

1) I always compare the material between 2 or more independent sources, to get some objective feel for it. Some books cover some material in great depths that other books might have skipped.

2) Free online guides are just that, free. That doesn't mean that they are not complete. But with published books, writers have best effort obligation to cover all the test objectives for that particular test. These book publishers maintain websites where they publish errata, supplemental information such as software, charts and so on. Many times there are forums for one to participate and post queries, questions, discuss material and so on. Authors actually participate and provide feedback and are congruent (most of the time), helping readers. Free guides are work of a community members and may not be up-to-date or error corrected.

3) And some of these study guides are "official study guides, endorsed by certification organization (eg. CompTIA or Cisco or Microsoft). That means that you can be sure that everything that you need to know to successfully undertake, pass and certify is covered in these books. Now I understand that these books are expensive, however, I usually get them from my local library. If my local library don't have it, they procure it for me from other libraries, via inter-library loans. It takes few days to obtain these books this way, but you have them for at-least for 1 month and you can always renew them. Only downside is that you really have to plan out your study schedule. But it has worked for me for last 3 tests that I took.

PS: I have not used the free study guides or cram-sheets or notes others have published here. So I can't comment on the quality, completeness or coverage of material  (I always take my own notes and create my own cram-sheets).

Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Edited by timtom22, 06 July 2010 - 07:24 AM.

Petite et accipietis

#3 Stedman

Stedman

• PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

The ProProfs study guide looks really helpful, but the page on the OSI layers is messed up with duplicates and layers missing.  Any chance this gets fixed soon?

http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php/The_OSI_Model

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.