• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 lsdarling

lsdarling

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

I-Passed.gif

I found it to be much harder than the 70-270 exam, which is the only other exam I've had experience with. It had lots of sims, I would say almost 25%.Ake sure you are using different resources to study. I used the test out material for the majority of my studying this time and there was a lot of questions on the test over areas the study material didn't even touch. On to 70-291.

#2 john32

john32

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

Congrats on the pass. I just took the 270 and was curious how much harder the 290 is since I am studying for it now. I just passed the 270 by a small margin so I guess I will have to make sure I know my stuff for this one!

Congratulations again!!
If someone asks you if you are a God...YOU SAY YES!!!!

A.A.S. Computer Network Administration
A+ Certified (June '09)
MCP- Windows XP Professional (April '10)

next: 70-290, Security+, The beast=MCSA!

#3 SpencerK

SpencerK

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

I have come here to ask the very same question as John32 - I'm taking my 270 this Tuesday *Gulp* and would like to know how much more difficult this 290 is.  If I'm honest, this 270 is a beast, just because of the shear amount of information I have to remember.  I can handle the difficulty, complexity - no problem, its just remember sooo much information thats getting to me.

Anyway, how much harder was it amigo?

Oh, and grats on your pass and for your next.
MCP (270, 290)
N+ , A+
BSc Hons in Computing
HND in System Building
BND in Information Technology
NVQ Catering & Hospitality

#4 drthundr

drthundr

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Passed on Saturday.  I found it to be more difficult than the 270 just for the fact that it's a server exam.  XP is easy and has been around for 9 years, so I think most people can pass it without a problem.

All in all, not a bad test.  I had 10 sims, out of 40 total questions.  I think I nailed 5 and guessed on the rest.  

My experience with MS exams is that they want you think they tests are going to be very difficult to pass,  but in reality they're not too bad.  The whole idea is to get you to read as many books and learn as much as you can....which is probably why the test is only 40 questions.  If it was 100, I'm sure you'd see many more failures!  I won't complain though....

Anyway, on to the 291 to complete my MCSA...hopefully my theory proves correct!

A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST

#5 SpencerK

SpencerK

Sr. Expert

• 196 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

I passed my exam today.  To prepare for this exam I used;

*MS Press book + exams - to be honest, wish I had just gone with the Sybex book. This book, although in depth is more suited to people who have a good memory - unlike me.
*Transcender exams - again, difficult exam questions, lot harder than the actual exam itself - but overall a very good resource to learn from.
*CBT Nugget videos - very good resource, I learn better by viewing, the reading.

The exam itself was not that hard, to be honest.  Ok, some of the questions were challenging based upon remembering facts, specific file's and/or locations.  However, there is one thing I noticed about this exam over the 270, is that a lot more the answers are close to the real answer.  I dunno, in the 270 the wrong answer really seemed to stand out from the crowd, with this exam - x2 of the answers could have been right.  The sims were very challenging, well some of them.  

I have decided not to go for the 291 - I need more work experience, simple as that.  I don't think studying from home with 1 server, x2 desktops will cut it.  So, will get a job, then move on a bit later.

Anyway, glad its over..

Spencer
MCP (270, 290)
N+ , A+
BSc Hons in Computing
HND in System Building

#6 john32

john32

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hey Spencer, congratulations on the pass!! I actually took a break from the 290 to focus on the security plus, but maybe shoulda went for it since I had the XP stuff all in my head. Any way congrats man! what did ya score?
If someone asks you if you are a God...YOU SAY YES!!!!

A.A.S. Computer Network Administration
A+ Certified (June '09)
MCP- Windows XP Professional (April '10)

next: 70-290, Security+, The beast=MCSA!

#7 SpencerK

SpencerK

Sr. Expert

• 196 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (john32 @ Oct 1 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Spencer, congratulations on the pass!! I actually took a break from the 290 to focus on the security plus, but maybe shoulda went for it since I had the XP stuff all in my head. Any way congrats man! what did ya score?

Hello John, how are you - hope the family, studying and/or career is going good..

I got 830 - which is not bad.   To be honest, knowledge gained in the 270 applies somewhat to 290, but not that much.  So you really have not missed much by not carrying one while the XP stuff is still rattling around.  

Transferable knowledge would be permissions, backup procedures, restoration of file systems, recovery, performance, disk management.  Which is all pretty much core stuff.  The hardest part is remembering the little aspects, like certain files needed to back up, say , DNS directly without having to use System State.  

Anyway, good luck with your next  - I might try the security + myself.

notworthy.gif
MCP (270, 290)
N+ , A+
BSc Hons in Computing
HND in System Building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.