• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

You can obtain your MCTS, MCP status by passing the Windows Vista ( 70-620 ) or Windows XP exam. These are two easy steps to get your foot in the door of an IT career.

#2 jchris

jchris

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE ([email protected] @ Oct 30 2009, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can obtain your MCTS, MCP status by passing the Windows Vista ( 70-620 ) or Windows XP exam. These are two easy steps to get your foot in the door of an IT career.

I thought this was an interesting post to read. I have 13 professional certifications. I am one exam short of being an MCITP:EA, which I am half way through training for. All this and I cannot find a job anywhere in IT, here in Toronto.

If the above has you with your foot in the door, then I think what I've got means having 90% of my body through the door. It just goes to show you what certs even mean to employers nowadays.

#3 Insomnia

Insomnia

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (jchris @ Nov 4 2009, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought this was an interesting post to read. I have 13 professional certifications. I am one exam short of being an MCITP:EA, which I am half way through training for. All this and I cannot find a job anywhere in IT, here in Toronto.

If the above has you with your foot in the door, then I think what I've got means having 90% of my body through the door. It just goes to show you what certs even mean to employers nowadays.

It's all about timing and who you know.  I'm still new to the Cert field, with currently only my A+ certificate behind me.  I was in Comp Sci for a while as well, but for me it was more luck than training that's gotten me where I am.

While working at a grocery store, I was told by a guy I knew there about a job coming up installing computers for the government.  After I was done with that, I found a job in a fairly remote city in northern BC.  The experience from my other job is what got me my current one.

Right now, I'm only working the helpdesk, but due to the size of this company and their desire to see me go for more certs, I now have a great opportunity to study and train while gaining the experience I need for elevated positions.

The thing with a lot of the bigger cities is that the jobs there require skill and experience up front, and the cost of living is high enough that you need a good wage to survive.  If you have the ability to move around a bit, I say go for it.

If you need to stay in Toronto,

http://www.q9.com/aboutq9/careers.html

Aiming lower at first can help get you ready for the job you want.

#4 LaraSmith

LaraSmith

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

JChris,

Have you tried volunteering at local IT chapter meetings in your area? the PMI chapters may be helpful, since a lot of the project managers I know are in the IT field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.