Now Employed

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Mental: A+ -&gt; network+ -&gt; Linux+ -&gt; MCSE -&gt;<br />Physical: Healthy eating, healthy Body <br />Emotional: Poetry<br />Spiritual: Psychic development

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:27 AM

Hi everybody,

I now have this great job as a Technician, attached to one of the leading National retailers of Computer Hardware in Australia.  They have a new store opening 5km (3 miles) away, and I will be installing all the systems in the whole area, onsite, for those who can't do it themselves.
This includes setting up Windows Media Centre, wireless and peer-to-peer networks, hubs, printers, the typical Technician's role...I love already, and haven't started yet!

The pay is good, $30 /hr, and it has flexible hours, leaving me enough time to study.
As I mentioned on my cover letter:
"This is exactly what I was looking for, as I move into studying for Network+ and Linux+ next year."

For someone who has been doing hard yakka labouring work for over 5 years, this is a dream come true.

The A+ (in progress) was an important factor of obtaining the job.

Woo, nother party?  cool.gif
ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

#2 hempyuk

hempyuk

Sr. Expert

• 230 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (Lightfoot @ Nov 3 2005, 01:27 PM)
I now have this great job as a Technician, attached to one of the leading National retailers of Computer Hardware in Australia.

Well done bro what a great job  biggrin.gif

lol any chance they got any other jobs wink.gif

good luck in your new job

Hemp  cool.gif

#3 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

This is great news! Congratulations!  smile.gif

I'll go get myself a beer to celebrate your success!
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#4 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Sr. Expert

• 249 posts
  • Interests:Mental: A+ -&gt; network+ -&gt; Linux+ -&gt; MCSE -&gt;<br />Physical: Healthy eating, healthy Body <br />Emotional: Poetry<br />Spiritual: Psychic development

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

Hey thanks.  

This job wont start until the end of November, just in time for christmas.

The I.T. industry is picking up here in Australia, after several years of slow performance, so there is bound to be other jobs.

Hempyuk, try searching the IT job search site for an idea of whats available.  Thats where I found this one.

#5 leafybeard

leafybeard

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Jazz- big shout to Miles Davis, Wynton Marsellis etc<br /><br />Movies-Thanks to Jack Nicholson, your a genius!!<br /><br />Sport - Football (Manchester United), jogging, tennis<br /><br />Beautiful ladies, thanks Michelle for being such a beautiful, inspiring, part of my life! Long may it continue!!! : )<br />

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hey Big Congrats to you!!!

I really hope it works out fine for you, I am sure it will!!

Plus you can take it easy for a couple of weeks until you start, always a bonus : )

Thats exactly the kind of job that I am trying to find, I myself have applied for like dozens of IT jobs last week alone!!!

Well done again, you deserve a break after all that labouring you mentioned, now you get to sit down more!!! And earn better $$$$!!

Take it easy, peace!!

LeafyBeard

#6 ChrisKavanagh

ChrisKavanagh

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

Cheers!! Let me know how it goes. If ya got time let me know how you studied ect so I can pass. Do you think the A+ got you the job or do you think you may have got it w/out??

#7 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (ChrisKavanagh @ Nov 8 2005, 02:16 PM)
Do you think the A+ got you the job or do you think you may have got it w/out??

As Lightfoot wrote
The A+ (in progress) was an important factor of obtaining the job.

James

#8 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Sr. Expert

• 249 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

I didnt want to be a labourer!  Over the years I have applied for many first level I.T. jobs without success.  I couldn't get my foot in the door.  A+ is obviously very well regarded by employers!

On my cover letter, I mentioned my score in the hardware exam the day before, and she phoned back less than an hour after I emailed the application, and set up an interview for the following day.  The interview was easy enough, even though it was not multi-choice, on a few scenarios what would a technician do.

So I had the job before I sat my OS exam.

Which I have sat, btw, and I was marked  710 for OS.
I am now A+ certified!  

My tip for success is to make a note of the areas you get wrong answers in, when you do practice tests, and independently study those areas - use google searches to define: terminology, find resources on the topic, and other sources that provide review of the concepts involved.

Often, just writing a sentence down, even once, helps a great deal in remembering it.  I filled up 20-30 pages of various facts like
"NTldr reads the Boot.ini file and displays the operating system's OS selection menu during boot up.  If windows NT/2000 is selected, NTldr will run NTdetect.com.  If another OS is selected, NTldr will load and run Bootsect.dos and pass control to it."

#9 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Lightfoot @ Nov 9 2005, 04:25 PM)
I filled up 20-30 pages of various facts like
"NTldr reads the Boot.ini file and displays the operating system's OS selection menu during boot up.  If windows NT/2000 is selected, NTldr will run NTdetect.com.  If another OS is selected, NTldr will load and run Bootsect.dos and pass control to it."

We started a section where students can share notes. How about sharing some of those notes there? Are they word files?

How about inaugrating the section? :-)

James
James

#10 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Sr. Expert

• 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

My notes are hand written pages, and they are not orderly or sensible to anyone but me :-)

I will see if I can extract some goodness though, and post it to the notes section.

#11 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Yay, you're back! :-)

James
James

#12 steve65

steve65

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Lightfoot @ Nov 20 2005, 12:26 AM)
My notes are hand written pages, and they are not orderly or sensible to anyone but me :-)

I will see if I can extract some goodness though, and post it to the notes section.

LOL, that sounds like my filing system as well

#13 sud_888

sud_888

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hey, I hope u r enjoying ur job.  It appears u passed the exams without much practical experience.  that really motivates me.  I hope with systematic study, I too am able to pass.

#14 E-noid

E-noid

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:16 AM

So you recon the Comptia exams help get jobs as much as microsoft exams?

#15 surfslyder

surfslyder

Sr. Expert

• 388 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

the compTIA A+ is an entry level, but it shows you have a good knowledge base of all hardware and software, including legacy computer. it is something that employers look at. so i recommend it if you are interested in getting in the business. later biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.