• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

I've seen many people ask about the type of job, work, and pay they can expect with an A+ certification. So I figured that I would post my experience of 4 job interviews the past couple days. These are the things I've learned:

1.) Most people are "working towards" their A+. Many are certified, but most are working towards A+. So having your certification is definitely an advantage. Subsequent certifications like Network+ and Security+ are also bonuses.

2.) A+ is "tech" level work. Not "admin" level. In other words, if you're doing CCNA/configuring routers, it's not very likely you'll be doing A+ work. That goes down to the techs. So, just by some happenstance that you have CCNA/MCSE, it's probably not going to help you in your job other than showing your potential.

3.) Even with tech level work, it's still a huge bonus to have Network+ and Security+. Why? Because of the content offered in the certifications. Network+ teaches you about protocols, ports, viruses, and firewalls (to a lesser extent) and that is continued with Security+. If you figure that computer viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, ect are a major reason computers are brought in for repair (which is most tech level/A+ work) then those 2 additional certs are most valuable.

4.) As I said, A+ type of work is tech level. Which is mostly upgrading, repair, and building PCs. There can also be a fair amount of printer work. You're looking at popping in new memory, lots of formatting and repartitioning, swapping out hard drives, and lots of that sort of stuff. There's also a lot of "Plz get the Bonzi Buddy off my box plz kthnxbye!" type of stuff. People are idiots, they download viruses and it's your job to be familiar with how to get them off.

5.) * Pay. Out of the 4 places I've had interviews with, 3 told me the pay scale for the type of work I did was based $8-15 per hour. That was based on certifications, experience, and how you do at your job. Not neccessarily in that order but one of the places was. The 4th place didn't specify an exact range but did say they were comparable in their compensation.

6.) + Atmosphere of the places I interviewed with had a range of tones. All were exceptionally professional. Some were more retail oriented, some were more repair oriented. But all were very professional. So take that into mind.

I hope this helps and answers some questions. I want everyone to realize that A+ does not get you the cushy office and secretary at work with a huge house and BMW in the driveway. But it can get you by if you're lucky and you work your *** off. Always strive to better yourself be that through certifications or a college degree. Never settle.

* The way I found out about the pay was to simple be interviewed and answer questions as I was asked. You NEVER ask how much they're going to pay you. That's a cardinal sin in the interview process and will likely get your resume chunked in the garbage. They will give you at least a hint towards your pay so be patient. And the pay, 95% of the time, is non negotiable. They know how much they pay someone of your caliber and if they have to change their system, you're not worth it.

+ Dress accordingly for an interview. Nice white shoes, new jeans, and a collered shirt may look nice when you're out on Friday night, but not for an interview. It's better to overdress and leave an impression of professionalism, motivation, and maturity than to say "I hope this is enough to look nice" and "I don't care enough to get dressed up". Gentlemen shave, cut your hair, dress shoes, slacks, button up shirt, and a tie without exception. With the ladies, I'd say pant-suit if you have it or a nice conservative skirt and the dressiest shirt you have. Like you're going to a relative's wedding. Whoever you are, don't show up looking like a caveman who's ready to hit the town on Friday/Saturday night just because you consider the clothes to "look nice". Maybe so, but they do not look "professional".
*B.S. Telecommunications Systems Management
*A.A.S. Information Technology
*CompTIA A+ Certified (731 Core, 679 OS Technologies)
*CompTIA Network+ Certified (695)
*CompTIA Security+ Certified (852)
*Microsoft Certified Professional (70-270; 778)

#2 jmt5887

jmt5887

* Outstanding Sr. Expert *

• 786 posts
  • Interests:Working with computers, Watching TV, and playing Video. my favorite cartoon series are Code Lyoko and Kim Possible.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

this is a really good post NickHeel. notworthy.gif this does answer question i would have had after i get certified. can someone pin this thread up so other can always see it.
A+ certified August 1, 2006. (Core:622, OS:573)

#3 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (cbrzana @ May 28 2006, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NickHeel - Great post. However, I do have a question about the comment you made about the typical pay.
People with A+ certifications can potentially only make $8 an hour? I worked at Wal-Mart during my High School years, and even they paid better. I guess it depends on the type of company you work for. From what I've seen, the typical pay for an A+ certified person is about 32k (with about 2 years experience). That is where I live anyway.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in!

That's starting pay with no experience. The $8/hour I mean. If you had 2 years experience, you're probably going to make more.

But all depends on the place you work for and where you live. If you live in a large city (New York, Los Angeles, ect) whatever you do, you're going to get paid much more for it because the "cost of living" is so high. Around here, howevere, the cost of living is quite low.

Also, if you work for a company as a tech, you're likely to be paid a lot more. The businesses I interviewed with were all locally owned businesses and one private hospital. If you were to work at a Verizon headquarters office as a tech, I'm sure the pay would be considerably more.

But like I said, 2 years of experience counts for a lot and there are numerous factors.

Just as a reference, I live in a very low cost of living area (southern IL, western KY), the businesses I interviewed with were all locally owned, and I have no experience outside of college and work I've done for friends and relatives.

#4 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts
  • Interests:Working with computers, Watching TV, and playing Video. my favorite cartoon series are Code Lyoko and Kim Possible.

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (NickHeel @ May 28 2006, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's starting pay with no experience. The $8/hour I mean. If you had 2 years experience, you're probably going to make more.

But all depends on the place you work for and where you live. If you live in a large city (New York, Los Angeles, ect) whatever you do, you're going to get paid much more for it because the "cost of living" is so high. Around here, howevere, the cost of living is quite low.

Also, if you work for a company as a tech, you're likely to be paid a lot more. The businesses I interviewed with were all locally owned businesses and one private hospital. If you were to work at a Verizon headquarters office as a tech, I'm sure the pay would be considerably more.

But like I said, 2 years of experience counts for a lot and there are numerous factors.

Just as a reference, I live in a very low cost of living area (southern IL, western KY), the businesses I interviewed with were all locally owned, and I have no experience outside of college and work I've done for friends and relatives.

the cost of living thing i know very well. i live in south-central kentucky. the cost of living standards here are 65% of the national average. however the poverty rate is much higher here then in most areas in the united states. where i live is not a place i want to work in the IT field because of how rural and poor it is. i will most likely head either west towards a major city like st. louis, louisville, etc. or head north towards lexington or cincinnati. cost of living may be higher there but at least i could make a decent living in one of those cities.

#5 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

Goto Salary.com , select IT, type in your zip code:
http://www.salary.com/salary/layoutscripts/sall_display.asp

Then select from the closest job profile and you can get base salary information for free.
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#6 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (jmt5887 @ May 30 2006, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the cost of living thing i know very well. i live in south-central kentucky. the cost of living standards here are 65% of the national average. however the poverty rate is much higher here then in most areas in the united states. where i live is not a place i want to work in the IT field because of how rural and poor it is. i will most likely head either west towards a major city like st. louis, louisville, etc. or head north towards lexington or cincinnati. cost of living may be higher there but at least i could make a decent living in one of those cities.

West like...Paducah? tongue.gif I live right across the river in Illinois where there is no work so I have to head across to Paducah.

You from Bowling Green? I have friends that just left for WKU and transfered to the Kohl's there from here.

#7 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (NickHeel @ May 30 2006, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
West like...Paducah? tongue.gif I live right across the river in Illinois where there is no work so I have to head across to Paducah.

You from Bowling Green? I have friends that just left for WKU and transfered to the Kohl's there from here.

no, i'm from a little town called pine knot. it's about 5 miles north of the tennesse/kentucky state line and about 80 miles east of bowling green. there is absouletely nothing here in this town. this is why i have to go somewhere else for work.

#8 c_los1519

c_los1519

Sr. Expert

• 247 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:33 AM

Ausitn TX is one of the biggest cities with the IT idustry growing. I live about 30 minutes north of austin and they are even expanding to the little cities around austin. They are building like CRAZY! If anyone wants a good job come down here in about 5 yrs and they'll have IT jobs everywhere.
-Carlos-
A+ Certified

#9 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

I couldn't move to Austin. I'd end up in jail for murdering all of the Star Wars Galaxies developers.

And I wouldn't last long in Texas if I murdered multitudes of incompitent individuals.

#10 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

i didn't see that coming. well we really should get back to the topic now.

#11 c_los1519

c_los1519

Sr. Expert

• 247 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

HA HA! Nick is crazy  laugh.gif

Austin isn't that bad Nick Just really hot. Have really good paying jobs in the IT field though.
-Carlos-
A+ Certified

#12 NickHeel

NickHeel

Sr. Expert

• 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

I have a sinking feeling that you all thought I was joking sad.gif

#13 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

i admit that i did think so. that was why i said to get back on topic. i didn't want myself or anyone else going out on a tangent about a certain texan i don't like.

#14 c_los1519

c_los1519

Sr. Expert

• 247 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Wait... what texan is that?? You talkin bout me?? Im confused
-Carlos-
A+ Certified

#15 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

you don't have to worry. your cool. there is a person from texas i don't like and he currently lives in washington DC. that's all i have to say on that.

#16 c_los1519

c_los1519

Sr. Expert

• 247 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Oh ok I see.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
-Carlos-
A+ Certified

#17 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

good now maybe this tread can get back on topic.

#18 kcdc1208

kcdc1208

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

I totally agree on the point of rate of living in this area unless you know someone your gonna have to move out just to get a good paying job, i live in West Tennessee and i'd have to move to Nashville, or commute to Memphis just to get a good job. Alot of my friends are dropping out because of the job oppurtunities in this field.

#19 FSUFan

FSUFan

* Outstanding Sr Expert *

• 267 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

Will an A+ Certification along with a Bachelor's Degree in Management Information Systems at least land me a 25k+ a year job?

It has proven difficult thus far getting a job w/ just an MIS degree, so I am working on my A+.
CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified
CompTIA Security+ Certified

#20 jmt5887

jmt5887

• 786 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

i can't say that it will help you land it. however it can't hurt to have it on your resume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.