• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 jermichael

jermichael

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

The problems is whenever I boot the PC it doesn't finish the Post and then I see a little
white line as if its going to do a ram count it just stays there until I power down. When I reboot the pc for atleast 3 to 4 times it works on the 5 time and you can hear the beep beep and the OS loads and everything works properly now I have checked the CMOS, device manger and also reloaded chipset driver for video and everything seems good no viruses detected at all. Power supply is good, hard drive is good. (It will not go through post I been looking for an error message or a series of beeps but nothing! Why isn't this thing going past post!! whats making it hang?

Basically I feel its a on board video problem or motherboard problem. This problem happens intermittently and when it does this is what happens. Im basically going to try to add a Pci card into the slots then after that replace motherboard. Am I going in the right path. I was also told to try to flash but I really don't want to try that yet. Any advice??????
BA. - Digital Forensics and Criminal Justice - In progress

AAS. - Computer Networking Specialization (Cisco & Microsoft Track)- May 2010

A+ Certified - 601 (870) 602 (850)

Server+ Pending

Network+ 2009 Objective passed with 880!

Cisco CCNA Certificate - Home and Small Businesses Networking        

Cisco CCNA Certificate - Small to Medium Business or ISP Networking  

Information Technology Certificate (College Certificate)

MCSA - Network Certificate (College Certificate)

MS. - Digital Forensics (Final step)

#2 jermichael

jermichael

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

No when it finally boots it's like a perfect machine! Thanks for the advice

QUOTE (Skrpune @ Mar 12 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have you popped open the case to look inside or done any testing/temperature reads to see if things are healthy/overheating?  

Intermittent issues like that can be due to a faulty motherboard (look for bulgy/leaking capacitors or burn marks/incomplete circuits on the board).  An unhealthy motherboard is notorious for doing wacky things that seem to make no sense before it dies altogether.  

Also, do some memory testing.  You can use MemTest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostics - both free & readily available to download.  Just make a boot CD & boot off that & run the tests for as long as you can...make sure it goes through more than one iteration of tests, as memory failures often don't show up on a first run.

You may want to look into checking your system temperatures as well - if the RAM or CPU are overheating, it can also lead to funky intermittent issues.  You can use SpeedFan or other freeware to monitor system temps/fan speeds & see if your CPU is "sweating" a bit.  

One question though - once you've booted up successfully, does anything funky happen?

BA. - Digital Forensics and Criminal Justice - In progress

AAS. - Computer Networking Specialization (Cisco & Microsoft Track)- May 2010

A+ Certified - 601 (870) 602 (850)

Server+ Pending

Network+ 2009 Objective passed with 880!

Cisco CCNA Certificate - Home and Small Businesses Networking        

Cisco CCNA Certificate - Small to Medium Business or ISP Networking  

Information Technology Certificate (College Certificate)

MCSA - Network Certificate (College Certificate)

MS. - Digital Forensics (Final step)

#3 R33n

R33n

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Usually seen with a failing video card the screen will hang when booted properly or it wont post at all.

It does sound like a heat issue.

Is it over a period of time that you let it sit that it boots properly.  Could be an indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.