• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:59 AM

Hey guys! share your tips for SAT success!  v.gif

Here are a few that I use:

Essay:
-include (specific) examples
-budget your time carefully!
-tie together the topic with ur conclusion (e.g. use words from the topic)
-use appropriate transitional wrds n phrases (like 'however', 'thus', etc)
-avoid repetition
-use 3rd person! avoid using 'you', 'we', etc.

Critical reading (tips from college board skills insight):
-as you read a text an unfamiliar-topic text, look for words that you knw to help you determine what any unknown words might mean
-when you come across a difficult section of text in your reading, break down the ideas in it sentence by sentence and even within sentences
-consider how the author’s language and structure affect the way he makes his point. What kind of support does the author provide? Does the author speculate, cite facts, or express an opinion? How can you tell? How does the author’s tone relate to the topic?
-if its an argumentative text, try to identify the parts of the author‘s argument. What is the thesis? What evidence does the author provide? Does the author cite others? How does he or she conclude the argument?
-as you read a challenging text, think about the assumptions that underlie the author’s position.
-think about the stated topic but also consider its larger meaning or purpose. Consider whether or not the text has a meaning beyond its stated intention

hope these help! feel free to share your own tips!

#2 cayte03

cayte03

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

they key is to NOT overthink the critical reading responses. if it's not in the passage, it shouldn't be in the answer!

#3 supstyle905

supstyle905

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

I would say the SAT essay needs to support an Optimistic idea. Nothing overly goodie-goodie, but avoiding pessimism would probably be the best.

#4 tucr21

tucr21

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

Sentence Completion

One way to think of Sentence Completion questions is to remember what it is like to get a photocopy of an assignment from a teacher with one word smudged out. Your challenge is to use all of the other words in the sentence or paragraph to determine the missing word.

Sentence Completion questions work the same way. You need to use all of the other words in the sentence to determine the missing word. This includes any context clues as well as other words that help you know which direction the sentence is heading - words like and, but, or, nevertheless, negative prefixes, etc. It is a test of your sentence logic and your vocabulary.

First, ignore the answer choices and substitute your own word(s) that fit the context of the sentence. Eliminate answer choices that mean something different and guess from what's left if you can't figure out the right one.

#5 tucr21

tucr21

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Work Steadily - Don't Rush

Rushing loses time, promotes carelessness, and creates an atmosphere for unclear thinking.

Pace Yourself: Determine how much time you can spend on each question and where you should be when the allotted time is 1/4, 1/2, etc. gone. Reading Passages are the most critical because it is easy to take a lot of extra time to read an unfamiliar or long passage.

Budget your time. Work from easier to harder and from shorter to longer questions. Each answer is worth the same number of points; so answer the easy ones and come back to the hard ones if you have time.

#6 janetlalbag

janetlalbag

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

For both SAT reading & writing you need to develop your vocabulary first. Here are The Six Very Best Ways to Improve Your Vocabulary

Vocabulary Technique #1 - Elaboration

Elaboration is an easy technique that will increase your retention of new words by more that 670%. To find out more about elaboration, go to our lesson on elaboration.

Vocabulary Technique #2 - Repetition

Repetition is one of the most effective ways to learn new words. However, most people overlook a simple technique that will double the effectiveness of repetition. To find out more, go to our lesson on repetition.

Vocabulary Technique #3 - Read and Record

Contrary to popular belief, reading alone won't do much to improve your vocabulary. This is because most people tend to simply "skip over" words they don't know. We have put together some powerful techniques that will allow you to get the most out of your reading. Read about these techniques in the lesson on reading and recording.

Vocabulary Technique #4 - Personal Relevance

Did you know that our memories are actually geared to block out information that isn't considered personally relevant? You can use this to your advantage by making new words personally relevant and dramatically improving your retention as a result. Read more in our lesson on relevance.

Vocabulary Technique #5 - Imagery

Are you a visual learner? If so imagery could be your best bet for improving your vocabulary. Although imagery is a great tool, it doesn't work well for all types of words. To find out how best to use imagery, go to lesson 5.

Vocabulary Technique #6 - Play With Words

A great fun way to improve your vocabulary is to play word games. We show you the best games to boost your vocabulary and have fun while you do it. Read more in our lesson on word games.

Vocabulary Technique #7 - How children do it

An 8 year old child learns more words in a week than the average adult does on a year. We can learn a lot about vocabulary improvement by studying the strategies children use to learn new language. Find out more in lesson 7.

For more details check on http://www.improvingvocabulary.org

#7 kooshmaria

kooshmaria

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

Can anyone give me an advise how not to jump from topic to topic in the essay? thanks beforehead. and by the way this is a great site it helped me a  lot in the verbal part thankyou.gif
kooshmaria

#8 NYCGossipGirl

NYCGossipGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Also, try to finish the page on the essay; length matters. Memorize vocab and read.

Edited by bobby1234, 18 September 2009 - 07:59 PM.
Removed long quote to keep thread clean

#9 bris

bris

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

first make a short plan about how to organie you're ideas. it can be easier to write it afterwards

#10 ggrant

ggrant

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Although they do not say it anywhere. Make the essay 3 to 5 paragraphs and about 300 words long.

#11 Miamifinz

Miamifinz

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

In an SAT Essay, should I begin by stating the conflict, or begin by showing my position on the subject.

ie.

Conflict first: The __ vs __ theory is long debated. However, ...
Position first: Undoubtedly, the key ... . I feel doing __, rather than doing __, is better etc. unsure.gif

#12 rubel_linc

rubel_linc

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

Thanks a lot to you all. you are all nice

#13 rubel_linc

rubel_linc

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

How can i do well in critical reading?

#14 vitaminium21

vitaminium21

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well their are classes for doing well in this section of the test. They teach you how to read the passages effectively as they are not always the most enjoyable.

#15 PortikZsolt

PortikZsolt

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:16 AM

this ins unfair...for international players,the reading comprehension is 10time harder than for a us native dude:(

#16 chriscav

chriscav

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (kooshmaria @ Apr 21 2009, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone give me an advise how not to jump from topic to topic in the essay? thanks beforehead. and by the way this is a great site it helped me a  lot in the verbal part thankyou.gif

Start with a clear thesis, then follow it with your proofs.

#17 vergalarga

vergalarga

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

wow thanks a lot, that tips are helpin me in my practice exams, im grateful

#18 khawkins

khawkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Alot guys biggrin.gif these tips are very useful. I find the SAT hard to take, because of how long it is  >.< any tips on stamina in test taking?

#19 fazken

fazken

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Study Harder that will lead to the ultimate success. And every Importantly use the Free Test in this site I think it might help someway.

#20 fazken

fazken

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

hey Always remember that knowledge never goes down the drain.

Eat less work more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.