• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Prismatica

Prismatica

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

This is a two in one question.  Do you have any hard drives you prefer over others?

And I've been trying to research the difference between SATA and SATA II drives.  Apparently my computer has a SATA II in it, so I'm gonna crack it open to make sure theres a nother sata connector in there, but that should be fine to run one SATA II and one SATA in their right?

Thanks!

#2 Prismatica

Prismatica

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Skrpune @ Dec 29 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Technically, there is no such thing as a SATA II drive...it's a misnomer that's come to mean a 3 Gb/s SATA vs first generation 1.5 Gb/s SATA dives.  They interact fine with each other but I believe that the faster/newer drives do have to slow down to talk to older/slower drives.  

Just to clarify - do you have 3 Gb/s SATA ports or do you have a 3 Gb/s SATA drive in your PC?

Its a factory built Dell E521 I looked around on the net and it doesnt seem to specify port speed.  I'm going to try looking in my bios when I restart, or is there another place to find that information?

#3 Prismatica

Prismatica

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Prismatica @ Dec 30 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a factory built Dell E521 I looked around on the net and it doesnt seem to specify port speed.  I'm going to try looking in my bios when I restart, or is there another place to find that information?

I can't tell whether it has 3 gig ports or not.  I opened it up and I seen theres an extra sata port.  I noticed the hard drive in there has a blue sata cable where the dvd writer and reader have orange cables.  I couldnt find anything in the bios telling me what speed SATA ports there are. So in short I have no idea how to tell.

Though I'm still interested if anyone has any recommendation on hard drive brands or learning how to tell what speed sata ports my computer has.

#4 egdelwonk

egdelwonk

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

i don't know if this is the best place to ask this, though i'll try to make it brief.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me about what brand of netbook would be good
to go with within a 375 - 500 $ range? i've looked at tigerdirect online,  they seem
to have some fairly decent deals but i'd like to gain a more technically oriented opinion
that could help me make a solid choice. thanks ahead of time.

#5 seenathkumar

seenathkumar

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (egdelwonk @ Feb 17 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't know if this is the best place to ask this, though i'll try to make it brief.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me about what brand of netbook would be good
to go with within a 375 - 500 $ range? i've looked at tigerdirect online,  they seem
to have some fairly decent deals but i'd like to gain a more technically oriented opinion

Well I will recommend Dell you can find different versions in this range.

#6 wangge

wangge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

I'm Stupid

#7 charlesmorgan

charlesmorgan

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

The seagate with PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) are extremely good and have a longer warranty of 5 years versus the standard 3 years. You can go for sea gate sata 2 harddrive.

#8 Simondull

Simondull

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

As per my knowledge the hard drive is use for the checking of the errors.To use it you have to give the double click on the my computer and than you have to going to click on the errors which you have to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.