• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 wesker

wesker

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hey All,

I hope I can get some help with a strange thing that is happening. Basically I have a PC that I installed FreeNAS on, and I had a DVD drive installed in it, and two harddrives. I have recently bought another two harddrives and I am currently trying to install them into the FreeNAS box.

I have taken out the DVD drive and used the ATA cable attached to it to install the two harddrives.

One of the harddrives has been formatted and mounted, allowing me access to the share on the computer. The other one is giving me an error when im trying to mount it, but I may need to reformat that with Killdisk or something.

Now here is the problem, when I access the share on the new harddrive and try and pass files over they transfer oddly. I use FileZilla to transfer the file and if I transfer a single song (7MB) it will transfer (slowly). But if I try and transfer a larger file (700MB) it usually transfers about 5% and stops completely. Now the only thing that is coming to mind is that maybe the 2nd ATA cable is slower than the main one.

I have no idea but its the only thing that I can think of.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your time.

#2 wesker

wesker

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

Well, ok no replies, but I ended up getting it to work anyway. Here's what I did.

The freeNAS OS was installed on the primary master harddrive, so i basically switched the two new harddrives so they were both primary master and slave and installed, with the old full harddrives as the secondary. I then reinstalled the freeNAS OS on the new primary master and it worked out ok.

I have no idea why they were not transferring the other way around, because when I had that set up I tried transferring large files to the secondary harddrives and they transferred properly at normal speeds.

After working with computers this **** long, sometimes these things happen just to annoy the **** out of you! But it works, I win! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.