2 replies to this topic

#1 li85s2h

li85s2h

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi!
1. I need to practice my DOS command and I have it stored on a disquette. The problem is that my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. Is there any other way to get DOS?

2. Is DOS going to damage the files on my computer? I'm wondering if it would have an impact on my current system (Vista) or not.

Thanks!

#2 li85s2h

li85s2h

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

Thank you so much for the quick and clear response!! yourock.gif

QUOTE(Skrpune @ Oct 3 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can practice most DOS commands from within Vista using the Command Prompt.  For some more advanced commands (even for just ipconfig), you'll have to be running it as Administrator though.  This link will give you a rundown on how to always run it as Administrator.  Then every time you run Command Prompt, you'll get the UAC prompt to authorize running it as Admin.  You can also pin Command Prompt to your Start menu afterwards to make it easier to find & run.

As for whether it can harm your system, Command Prompt itself won't do anything but the commands you type in will.  Be careful about what you do, as you'll have administrative power and you'll be able to move & rename & delete files, and you don't want to accidentally mess up something important.  I'd suggest making a few extra folders/directories/files just for the purpose of practice so you don't go messing with important system files.

#3 crigby

crigby

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi,
If you want an old DOS to put in a separate subdirectory, you must do it all from a command line to do it safely; there is a place to get some versions. You can get a few DOS's and WFW which will have DOS underneath. Even the most advanced CPU will usually execute the 16 bite code. Just watch the two letter country codes since some are German, Dutch and Russian.

*MODERATOR EDIT: LINK REMOVED*

Peace,
Clarke

Edited by Skrpune, 04 October 2008 - 09:03 PM.
Copyrighted materials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.