Volunteering

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 putertutor33

putertutor33

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy helping people, family time and computer time, being in a positive enviroment,and humor.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

Back about mid July, I posted a comment about volunteering.  I am still a part time volunteer and a part time salaried employee. I work as a technician, refurblishing computers for kids.  The pay really isn't much, but the bentifit of seeing the smiling faces of the kids upon receiving their computer is like getting a bonus.  I know it is hard in these time to make ends meet, and that applys to me also.  I would encourage each and everyone one of you to give a little of your time to help someone eles in whatever ways you can,  It'll come back to you in one way or another.  appl.gif
Bjl

#2 putertutor33

putertutor33

Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy helping people, family time and computer time, being in a positive enviroment,and humor.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Skrpune @ Aug 19 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clap.gif great post! clap.gif

A lot of new members are curious about how to get their foot in the door in IT, and volunteering is a great way to satisfy that requirement AND give a little bit back to the community AND get that warm-fuzzy feeling too.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
hi.gifThank you Skrpune for your kind and true comments

Bjl

#3 Menippus

Menippus

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Skrpune @ Aug 19 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clap.gif great post! clap.gif

A lot of new members are curious about how to get their foot in the door in IT, and volunteering is a great way to satisfy that requirement AND give a little bit back to the community AND get that warm-fuzzy feeling too.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
hi.gif

One of the better ways to get experience and help people, is to get a job working in the IT field for a Not-for-Profit company. The money is awful, the hours are long, but you help people who really need it.

A quick story: I used to work in a NFP company and teach a beginner class in computers, one of the older ladies (70's) was afraid to touch the keyboard because she thought she would break it! I just learned the other day she just passed her Comptia A+ at the young age of 73.

Regards,

Menippus

#4 JediCheese

JediCheese

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

How would you go about finding a volunteer position like this?  I assume they don't post these sorts of things on Monster or whatnot?

#5 goodyman

goodyman

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (JediCheese @ Sep 4 2010, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you go about finding a volunteer position like this?  I assume they don't post these sorts of things on Monster or whatnot?

idealist.org

#6 marizandres

marizandres

• PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:18 AM

Being a volunteer helps you in your career path. I've been a volunteer for a year when I started and that is my steeping stone.

#7 Samer Mitwally

Samer Mitwally

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

Volunteering allows you to not only feel good about yourself, but also to experience the learning curve.

#8 ChildofAthena

ChildofAthena

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

I have worked in HR at an IT company and I can tell you volunteering is a plus. It speaks to experience in a work environment and it also speaks to character. Organizations are becoming more socially responsible and they like to have staff that is willing to assist them in their chosen cause.

If you are not able to volunteer in an IT area it still adds up. What you can do especially as a programmer is tell of personal projects that you have dabbled in on your own to keep yourself up to date and challenged. It shows interested and a commitment to lifelong learning.

#9 ITspiderman

ITspiderman

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

is how I got my first job in IT.

#10 Astodd23

Astodd23

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Always check with local charities, hospitals and goverment offices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.