• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 millsy5

millsy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600. There are 4 (2 banks of 2) RAM slots.

According to Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...imension%204600

- each slot can handle 1GB, therefore a max of 4GB of RAM.

- uses pc3200

- non ecc

I currently have 2 sticks of 256MB PC3200 Non-ECC RAM. I purchased 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 Non-ECC RAM. I removed the 2 256MB sticks and inserted the 2 1GB sticks in the same slots (same bank). When I power up the PC I get 6 beeps during the POST test. I have reinserted them a few times to make sure they were inserted correctly.

I cannot see why the PC won't recognise the new RAM. The frequencies are definitely the same and the new RAM is definitely non-ECC. Please help!!

#2 obsar3

obsar3

* Outstanding Sr. Expert *

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

A few thoughts:

*The max RAM for this PC is 4GB so that should not be the problem.

*Not sure what the six beeps refer to as I believe your Dell PC uses a proprietary BIOS??  

*If you have four slots, it's possible that the two sticks can only be inserted in certain slots only when you are not filling all the slots.  On some motherboards the slots have different colors, so it's a no brainer.  Not sure if you can find a motherboard manual for the 4600, but that might indicate how to insert the RAM.

*Have you verified that the new RAM is known to be good? (Does the new RAM work in another computer?)  If it does work in another PC, there may be an incompatibility between the particular brand of RAM you bought and the motherboard of your PC  (I know this is extremely annoying, but it happens...)

Also, have you tried inserting each stick one at a time to see if the computer will POST ?

I also would consider contacting Dell technical support to see if they can advise.

CompTIA A+, Network+

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

#3 millsy5

millsy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(obsar3 @ Mar 13 2008, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few thoughts:

*The max RAM for this PC is 4GB so that should not be the problem.

*Not sure what the six beeps refer to as I believe your Dell PC uses a proprietary BIOS??  

*If you have four slots, it's possible that the two sticks can only be inserted in certain slots only when you are not filling all the slots.  On some motherboards the slots have different colors, so it's a no brainer.  Not sure if you can find a motherboard manual for the 4600, but that might indicate how to insert the RAM.

*Have you verified that the new RAM is known to be good? (Does the new RAM work in another computer?)  If it does work in another PC, there may be an incompatibility between the particular brand of RAM you bought and the motherboard of your PC  (I know this is extremely annoying, but it happens...)

Also, have you tried inserting each stick one at a time to see if the computer will POST ?

I also would consider contacting Dell technical support to see if they can advise.

The BIOS is Phoenix and I have the 6 beeps (1-3-2 beep code) to indicate that the first 64k of the RAM did not load. In other words it is a RAM problem as expected.

I have tried all combination of slots and none of them work, using 1 and 2 sticks at a time.

I brought the RAM to a copmuter store and it worked fine there. The person working there said that he thinks maybe the brand of RAM may be incompatible with the motherboard. It is unbranded RAM that I bought off eBay.

#4 millsy5

millsy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Also the new RAM is hi-density. I've since read somewhere that hi-density RAM is not compatible with a lot of MOBOs.

I went to the Dell website to check is my MOBO compatible with hi-density RAM but I found not information there.

#5 theonebigman72

theonebigman72

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

I had the same problem with my Dell computer and came to find out it was because the brand of the RAM I had put in it. Only Certain brands of RAM will work with Dell computers.

#6 eric.titzer

eric.titzer

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

HCL, is your friend.  I had this very problem in a home build I did until I realized that the RAM had to be a matched pair from the factory and the brand was not one supported by the mobo.  Always check this... you can still buy RAM without going through Dell.  Do a search say through google for the Dell model PC and memory (ie:  search string "Dell <model> memory")  That should find resources for purchasing the RAM that would be compatible.   Good luck, if you have other questions just ask away.  If you have problems finding compatible RAM without having to go through Dell, just post reply here with your model and the year of purchase.  I should be able to use that to find what you need.
Eric Titzer
AAS CIS
CompTIA A+ IT Technician

#7 xgalkdup

xgalkdup

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

the diet solution program reviews            
   penis advantage
diet solution

#8 xgalkdup

xgalkdup

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

tinnitus miracle reviews            
   penis advantage
tinnitus miracle

#9 xgalkdup

xgalkdup

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

truth about 6 pack abs            
   penis advantage
panic away review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.