• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 mojo

mojo

• PipPipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:photography, fishing

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I have a question concerning the OSI layers and which layer the NIC operates in. The study guide says Physical which I agree with form a logical standpoint. BUt int the Mike Meyers book he says it actually operates in Physical and Data Link Layer. He says for testing purposes you should answer Data Link Layer. Any opinions will be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

#2 Raddue

Raddue

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

I am also interested in the answer to this question.  I would hate to miss something so trivial on my test.
A+ IT Technician

#3 nmarlowe

nmarlowe

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:04 AM

It depends on what part of the NIC you are talking about. The cable connection is on the Physical layer. However, the firmware/software is Data Link. When talking about the NIC, we are usually talking about the Physical layer. However, if you are talking about the drivers, then that is the Data Link layer.

So if the question only allowed one answer, then I would chose Physical.

(I edited this from my original answer after thinking about it some more.)

Edited by nmarlowe, 05 February 2008 - 07:05 AM.

#4 kevy1980

kevy1980

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(nmarlowe @ Feb 5 2008, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on what part of the NIC you are talking about. The cable connection is on the Physical layer. However, the firmware/software is Data Link. When talking about the NIC, we are usually talking about the Physical layer. However, if you are talking about the drivers, then that is the Data Link layer.

So if the question only allowed one answer, then I would chose Physical.

(I edited this from my original answer after thinking about it some more.)

i have seen books n study guides that say different things about Nic, MAC is burned in the card (NIC)right  and its on level 2 , this makes it Data layer

#5 mx3x

mx3x

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE(kevy1980 @ Feb 14 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have seen books n study guides that say different things about Nic, MAC is burned in the card (NIC)right  and its on level 2 , this makes it Data layer

A NIC card is a Layer 1 and a Layer 2 device.

The NIC card is a Layer 1 device because it sends data over physical media such as a CAT5 cable.

The NIC card is a Layer 2 device because there are two sub layers on Layer 2. The Logical Link Control (LLC) and Media Access Control (MAC). The MAC sub layer communicates with hardware such as NIC cards by using their MAC addresses.

Note: All NIC cards have a unique MAC address.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.