Trouble with Ubuntu

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 affiremike

affiremike

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

I have just jumped into ubuntu. I tried several different versions of linux and it is all basically the same to me. Am I missing something? My biggest battle right now is trying to get anything to work on Ubuntu. I can't get my music,videos,games, or anything from windows to run.

#2 Olorin

Olorin

Sr. Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

there was a great howto for ubuntu - described everything... don't have the time to look it up, but it's easily googlable
Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence  © T. Pratchett

#3 obsar3

obsar3

* Outstanding Sr. Expert *

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Games meant for Windows will just not run on Ubuntu unless you install an emulator such as Wine or Cedega.  Although I've used Ubuntu myself, I've never actually tried this so I can't comment on how well games play on these emulators and what the issues are.  

Good luck!

Edited by obsar3, 30 October 2007 - 07:12 PM.

CompTIA A+, Network+

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

#4 psteph222

psteph222

• PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (affiremike @ Oct 29 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just jumped into ubuntu. I tried several different versions of linux and it is all basically the same to me. Am I missing something?

You're correct.  And you're not missing much.  There are VERY different distributions of Linux out there for specialized applications but between the general mainstream distributions you might find one distro has their config files in slightly different order than another.  The main differences are branding, packaging, installers, utilities, and bundled software.

Most of the will use the same kernel (core operating system) but this is flexible based on your needs.
Most will use the same file system, again, flexible based on your needs.
Most will use the same xwindows server - xorg, otherwise they're using xfree86 (if that project is still alive) and most will come with Gnome or KDE as the window manager (the part that looks like "windows" to you).  Some distro's will have options for other minimalist or special purpose window managers like blackbox, whitebox, fluxbox, xfce, enlightenment, and so on.  Even if a distro doesn't have an option to install it - you can install it yourself if you like.

Driver and hardware support is occasionally an issue between distributions.

If you want something else "different" to try, try FreeBSD.  And even that will still have the same xwindows server and most of the same window managers and a lot of the same bundled software.  You won't really see the differences since we're talking about a different kernel and file system.

My biggest battle right now is trying to get anything to work on Ubuntu. I can't get my music,videos,games, or anything from windows to run.

As long as Ubuntu is recognizing your sound card and you can open the audio applications fine that come with it then you might just be missing the audio and video codec's.  Go into your add/remove software menu and do a search for mp3 - you might need to select 3rd party software if you don't see "codec's" in anything - gstreamer comes to mind.  These are restricted software packages that Ubuntu cannot legally install automatically in some countries.  Hence the headache for you.

Games... install wine, and take a trip over to the wine forums.  Running programs from windows will be hit and miss but just visit google and type in wine emulator forum and you'll find plenty of places to discuss how to get at least some of your windows app's and games working under linux.

Good luck.
Computer Based Training ... cbt

#5 Celtic

Celtic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:18 AM

Actually with Ubuntu this is usually as simple as installing VLC and installing ubuntu-restricted-extras

Open a Terminal Window and type in " sudo apt-get install vlc ubuntu-restricted-extras "

that will install VLC media player and then The restricted extras comes with all the essentials...
video and audio codecs and then java, flash, and other things to say the least.

as far as gamin goes, there are alot of games that will play under wine and cedega, the one thing that can come up as an issue is that you will have to disable compiz (formerly beryl) it cause some adverse affects when gaming and will give you horrible fps rate.

#6 mchamb1

mchamb1

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Some of your software may be able to run thru a program called WINE. read more about it at http://www.winehq.org. For any other windows software that doesn't run via WINE, you should be able to run them in a virtual machine. VMWare is available for Linux but if you want the easiest Virtual Machine option you can install VirtualBox. Within virtual box you can install windows and run your old software from there.

Ultimately though you will want to make yourself familiar with the new software Linux offers, you should make yourself familiar with the Ubuntu packages at http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/.  To install any of this software you can go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. From there you can simply select the software you want to install and click Apply to install it all.

There are numerous site and blogs posts about similar software on different platforms. You should be able to find those sites quite easily with a simple Google search. For example you probably can substitute MS Office with Open Office, IE with Firefox, Outlook for Evolution, your IM software for Pidgin, etc..

Hope this helps!

#7 mchamb1

mchamb1

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

My post submitted twice.. this is the second entry, not sure how i can delete it...

Edited by mchamb1, 03 October 2009 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.