A+ Still Necessary

• You cannot reply to this topic
494 replies to this topic

#461 dougpw

dougpw

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I need to get certified .... we had a new manager start about 3 months ago and when he found out about half our tech support team were not certified he couldnt believe it ..........  I have been with the company 8 yrs now 5yrs as a field tech and 3 now as tech support but have never got certified ........ Oh well , I had better hit the books

#462 douggw

douggw

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Like many on here, I have been working in the IT field for some time (14 years) and have only had an "official" certification for MSCE, and one for Checkpoint - both about 9 years ago.  I thought surely with all my on the job experience and knowledge that something like A+ certification isn't that necessary for me.

Now, I find myself job hunting and guess what? Some of the jobs I am wanting to apply for, that I am overqualified for, won't even look at me without the A+ certification.

They don't care if I have 14 years of practical on the job experience. They want to see that current certification first, and THEN they will look at my 14 years of experience.

#463 ageofclark

ageofclark

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

I wish the industry placed more emphasis on knowledge over certifications. I would rather walk into an interview ready to fix something, than to have to list off a bunch of certs.

#464 tegchess

tegchess

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I worked in the IT field for 15 years. Was away from IT for 5 years and now returning. Even with my 15 years of IT background I need to get A+ and network+ for the new position. Based on my background the company is giving me time to get these certifications. It's study time.

Tony

#465 Avega

Avega

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I am just starting out and I am about to take the A+ test in a matter of weeks but is it really necessary in today's world?

#466 Avega

Avega

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Any tips on what I should study more of? D you have any good study guides?

#467 johnniez

johnniez

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I have been employed for 1 company(office equip service) for 24 years.Just found out my salary will not increase until I get this certification,  and yes, you do need this cert, our company will not hire anyone without A+ and NET+

#468 mwblack1966

mwblack1966

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

The more I study the more nervous I am about taking the A+.  So Much info don't know where to focus. Any ideas for good study guides and cheat sheets.

#469 rhutchinsdriven

rhutchinsdriven

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

That is great i am also studying for this test a lot of people blow this test off but i think every little bit helps an i figure employers like to see those who have taken iniative. I would like to be a network admonistrator one day.

#470 rhutchinsdriven

rhutchinsdriven

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

After the upgrade are performed

#471 rhutchinsdriven

rhutchinsdriven

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Ive talked to techs engineers they all tell me certs and school are very important certs ive watched guys work for years dont keep up with certs and get layed off dont get mad just realize you choose this feild youd better get used to taking tests

#472 fergiemac

fergiemac

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I am prepping for A+ by using Mike Meyer's book and Messer's website. Is classroom training better?

#473 jamie.129

jamie.129

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

OK THIS IS MY 1ST POST OH YEA !

#474 jamie.129

jamie.129

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Love this site!!

#475 billw9

billw9

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

View Postderelict, on 18 October 2007 - 05:42 PM, said:

Heck, yeah an A+ Cert is worthwhile!

I currently work for a government agency [MN] and, while it is true you can get a helpdesk position with minimal experience, you are also going to get minimal pay [I believe it tops out at just under $20.00] The IT positions [and IT apprentices] start out at around $23.00 an hour and go up to $34.00--and all they require is A+ cert [although they would like MCDST/MCSA/MCSE or any of the other Microsoft certs] but they aren't required.

So don't you go thinking that you are wasting your time, efforts, and $ in obtaining a certificate.

I've also found that if you are looking for easy experience, after you obtain your cert, especially with the holidays coming, places like Geek Squad hire Seasonal employees.

Just a tip for those having a tough time breaking into the field for lack of experience Posted Image

Is your wage scale on the higher end of this industry?  I got laid off from my last job and the A+ techs were doing piecework....when you figured the driving time, etc they averaged 10/hr

#476 porkbutt

porkbutt

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, chasing skirts. In that order.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

For those of you who are still "just looking" this my second post but i found this site 8 months ago and thought it was a scam. I did nothing except waste alot of money and more importantly time. Now I know better a big YES you need A+ certification to find employment and to get more money. Many thanks to you guys and gals out there who have returned to ProProfs to testify and represent.

#477 mhagin

mhagin

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

gamon, strange but true, isn't it?

I got my A+ in 1996 and was asked that also.

Time to get bookin, haha!

#478 blackheart4246

blackheart4246

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

View Poststroupe12, on 15 October 2007 - 05:51 AM, said:

I am new to this forum and site and was just wondering about how long it took some of you to get certified?
New as well some experience able to get some things newbe on the rest

#479 blackheart4246

blackheart4246

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

View Postblackheart4246, on 06 June 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

New as well some experience able to get some things newbe on the rest
hope to be able to draw on the vast knowledge of the group

#480 cjtheriault

cjtheriault

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

It is nice to see so many encouraging experiences on here.  I am new to this part of the IT world (studying Health Information Mangement), at first I didn't understand why I would need to know how to take a unit apart, but my understanding of the workings of the system will now make a valuable asset when working with the IT department on what our needs are and how to best meet them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.