• You cannot reply to this topic
235 replies to this topic

#1 lespaulsf

lespaulsf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hi I have seen that there are Cram sheets for the older A+ test but what about the 2006 Essentials test?
Comptia A + Technician 2007
Comptia Network + 2010

#2 gingertom

gingertom

• PipPipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

this might be helpful

QUOTE(gingertom @ Sep 1 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this might be helpful

please see attachment

• OSI Model
o 7 layers: Application, Presentation, Session, Transport, Network, Data, Physical
o Remember with: All People Seem To Need Data Processing
• The Windows 9x/Me Registry consists of two binary files called SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT. These two files hold virtually every setting that runs the Windows operating system.
• Wide SCSI permits up to 16 devices per chain, including the controller. Each device must have a unique ID number within the chain. See the device and/or the device documentation for ID settings. The ends of each SCSI chain must be terminated properly, including the controller if necessary.
• A couple of the most important concepts in hard drive technology are Cylinders, Heads, Sectors per track, clusters, and LBA (Logical Block Addressing). Cylinders reference consecutive rings of space on the circular drive. Heads are the actual devices on the arms that read the data on the drive. A single Sector can contain at most 512 bytes of data, so the sectors are grouped into Sectors per Track (Cylinder) to make data storage more efficient
• USB 2.0 has a transfer rate up to 480 Mbps and the cable length is up to 5 Meters.
• USB 1.1 12 Mbps
• DMA (Direct Memory Access) is the method where the CPU is relieved of certain data transfer functions by allowing peripherals to directly access the system memory. In a system with DMA there are typically two 8237 chips with 7 DMA channels to move data directly to the memory addresses. Due to certain inherent limitations, the practice of DMA has grown into what is now known as Bus Mastering.
• The drive letters A: and B: are reserved for the floppy drives. The first floppy gets the letter A: and the second gets the letter B:, if installed. Hard drives are the next priority, start with the letter C:, and can continue to Z: if necessary. CD-ROM drives by default get the next drive letter after the last installed hard drive.
• Network Operating System architecture can take one of three approaches:
• Client/Server - typically Novell systems, which have a secure, high quality dedicated server.
• Peer-to-Peer - classically Windows Workgroups. These networks are limited in number, with security and maintenance issues rising proportionally with the size of the network.
• Domain Based - typically Windows servers which use Domain Controllers and Active Directory, etc. as server software.
• NetBEUI - An older IBM network protocol that does not lend itself well to routing.
• IPX/SPX - Typically associated with Novell Netware.
• TCP/IP - The most popular, and the default protocol for the Internet
• Next Heading
== Remembering IRQs ==
Here are some tips and tricks to remembering IRQs. Please provide your feedback so the final version can be blogged or linked from Tips section of website. Special thanks to Spy.. I stole some of the initial tips from his post :-)
IRQ 0 System timer........like your watch it's round
IRQ 1 Keyboard............first thing you touch when you sit down
IRQ 2 Cascades to 9
Note : You can remember the first three from the phrase Sue Keeps
Cats , with S, K and C representing System, Keyboard and Cascades.
IRQ 3 Com 2&4.......IRQ 3 ( Odd Number) goes to Com2 and Com4 (even Numbers)
IRQ 4 Com1 & Com3.....IRQ 4 (even number) gos to Com1 and Com3 (odd numbers)
IRQ 5 NIC..like the nickel is 5 cents or LPT2(local printer2)
IRQ 6 Floppy Drive.........6 letters...F is the 6th letter for the alphabet (or 6 letters in the word Floppy)
IRQ 7 LPT1........lucky number 7.....if you are lucky to have a printer (or 7 letters in the word Printer)
IRQ 8 Clock..........8o'clock........time for prime time TV shows start (or 8 looks like hour glass that represents clock)
IRQ 9 Redirects to 2
IRQ 10 Available
IRQ 11 Available
IRQ 12 Mouse (PS2[mouse] and IRQ 12 both end with digit 2)
IRQ 13 Maths CoProcessor (13 is an unlucky number for some..Maths is hard for some)
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller.......it's first
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller....it's second
Another way to remember this is the naughty mneumonic: Sam Keeps Colorful Condoms Carefully (and) Lovingly For Patricia. They Caress Almost All Monday Mornings Passionately (and) Sensually.
Lack of better mneumonic is regretted. Your suggestions and comments are welcome.
This maps to:
00 Sam -- System Timer
01 Keeps -- Keyboard
02 Colorful -- Cascades to 9
03 Condoms -- Com 2, 4
04 Carfully -- Com 1, 3
(and)
05 Lovingly -- (LPT2 or NIC)
06 For -- Floppy
07 Patricia -- Printer (LPT1)
08 They -- Time ( Real time clock )
09 Caress -- Cascaded IRQ2
10 Almost -- Available
11 All -- Available
12 Monday -- Mouse
13 Mornings -- Math Coprocesso
14 Passionately -- Primary Controller
(and)
15 Sensually -- Secondary Controller
You may need to know the I/O address for IRQ 3 & 4.
IRQ 3...Com 2 2F8
...........Com 4 2E8
IRQ 4...Com 1 3F8
...........Com 3 3E8
Essentially remember the addresses for COM 1-4 and LPT 1 and 2:
COM1: 3F8
COM2: 2F8
COM3: 3E8
COM4: 2E8
LPT1: 378
LPT2: 278
Need a trick for remembering these? Read This Thread On Tricks For Memorizing COM1-4 & LPT1&2 Addresses
[edit]
Laser Printing Process
Here is one for remembering laser printing process:
Clean-Charge-Write-Develop-Transfer-Fuse
Clean-Cows-Won't-Dance-The-Fandango
Another one:
Can Chris Write Down The Facts ?
[edit]
Printer Table
Types of Printers
Printer Description
Impact Daisy Wheel or Dot Matrix (9 or 24 pins)
Inkjet Spray ink on paper
Laser Write with a laser. Also called Electrographic Printer (EP)
[edit]
IP addressing
Network Type Address Range Normal Mask Comments
Class A 001.x.x.x to 126.x.x.x 255.0.0.0 For very large networks
Class B 128.1.x.x to 191.254.x.x 255.255.0.0 For medium size networks
Class C 192.0.1.x to 223.255.254.x 255.255.255.0 For small networks
Class D 224.x.x.x to 239.255.255.255
Class E 240.x.x.x to 247.255.255.255
[edit]
Registry Hives
The Registry Hives
1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - a collection of settings for file, program, and class associations.
2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER - stores settings for the current logged-in user.
3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - stores settings for devices and hardware on the computer.
4. HKEY_USERS - stores settings for all the users who have accounts on the machine.
5. HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG - more detailed settings for the hardware on the computer, as currently loaded.
6. HKEY_DYN_DATA(Not present in Windows 2k or XP) - Registry data stored in RAM to speed up system configuration.
[edit]
Devices
Repeaters – A repeater connects two segments of your network cable. It re times and regenerates the signals to proper amplitudes and sends them to the other segments. When talking about, ethernet topology, you are probably talking about using a hub as a repeater. Repeaters require a small amount of time to regenerate the signal. This can cause a propagation delay which can affect network communication when there are several repeaters in a row. Many network architectures limit the number of repeaters that can be used in a row. Repeaters work only at the physical layer of the OSI network model.
Routers – A router is used to route data packets between two networks. It reads the information in each packet to tell where it is going. If it is destined for an immediate network it has access to, it will strip the outer packet (IP packet for example), readdress the packet to the proper ethernet address, and transmit it on that network. If it is destined for another network and must be sent to another router, it will re-package the outer packet to be received by the next router and send it to the next router. Routing occurs at the network layer of the OSI model.
Bridges - A bridge reads the outermost section of data on the data packet, to tell where the message is going. It reduces the traffic on other network segments, since it does not send all packets. Bridges can be programmed to reject packets from particular networks. Bridging occurs at the data link layer of the OSI model, which means the bridge cannot read IP addresses, but only the outermost hardware address of the packet.
[edit]
Physical
• 10Base2 - Uses Thinnet coaxial cable. Uses a BNC connector and bus topology requiring a terminator at each end of the cable.
• 10BaseT - Uses Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable. Uses star topology. Shielded twisted pair (STP) is not part of the 10BaseT specification.
• 100BaseT - Also known as fast ethernet. Uses RJ-45 connectors. Topology is star. Uses CSMA/CD media access. Minimum length between nodes is 2.5 meters.
• ISA - Industry Standard Architecture internal computer bus. Used when the original 8088 8bit microprocessor based personal computers were produced. (16 bit).
• PCI - Peripheral Component Interconnect internal computer bus. The popular expansion bus of choice. It is significantly faster than EISA. This is a 32bit bus with plug and play capability from Intel
[edit]
FAT Table
Windows 3.1 works with FAT 16
Windows 95 Build 950 and 950a works with FAT 16
Windows 95 Build 950b and 950c works with FAT 32 and FAT 16
Windows 98 works with FAT 32 and FAT 16
Windows NT 4 works with NTFS and FAT 16
Windows 2000/NT 5 works with NTFS, FAT 32 and FAT 16
• 9x Systems - Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME
• NT Systems - Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP   
[edit]
Boot Option Hot Keys
Boot Option Hot Keys
Operating System Key Result
Windows 98 (9x) F4 Boot to previous OS
F5 Safe Mode
F6 Safe Mode with Networking
F8 Forces a ScanDisk
Left CTRL Advanced Boot Options
Windows NT F5, F8 Hopeless
Spacebar At correct time, permits 'Last Known Good Configuration'
All others Hopeless; verify per installation
Windows 2000,
Windows XP F5, F8 Advanced Boot Options
[edit]
HOT KEYS
ALT+TAB Switch between open items
ALT+ENTER View properties for the selected item
CTRL+ESC Display the Start menu
win /b Creates bootlog.txt while booting.
[edit]
Quick Windows & OS FACTS
• NTFS 5.0 was introduced with Windows 2000, and added encryption, mount points, disk quotas, and dynamic disks.
• The Windows NT Family does not use these files (IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, or AUTOEXEC.BAT).
• Things To Know
o Win NT/2000/XP boot files and their there role in the boot process (NTLDR, BOOT.INI, etc)
o Also Win 9x IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS AND WIN.COM files
o How to access the Device Manager in Win.9x and Win 2000/XP
o How to install a network printer in Win.9x and Win 2000/XP
o Dual boot systems and the BOOTSEC.DOS file
o How to startup in safe mode in Win.9x and Win 2000/XP
o The ERD disk and how to create one
o When and how to use ASR process in Win XP
o TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, HTML, NWLINK, FTP, PING, TRACERT
• The Windows Registry consists of two binary files called SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT. These two files hold virtually every setting that runs the Windows operating system.
• Wide SCSI permits up to 16 devices per chain, including the controller. Each device must have a unique ID number within the chain. See the device and/or the device documentation for ID settings. The ends of each SCSI chain must be terminated properly, including the controller if necessary.
• A couple of the most important concepts in hard drive technology are Cylinders, Heads, Sectors per track, clusters, and LBA (Logical Block Addressing). Cylinders reference consecutive rings of space on the circular drive. Heads are the actual devices on the arms that read the data on the drive. A single Sector can contain at most 512 bytes of data, so the sectors are grouped into Sectors per Track (Cylinder) to make data storage more efficient
• USB 2.0 has a transfer rate up to 480 Mbps and the cable length is up to 5 Meters.
• DMA (Direct Memory Access) is the method where the CPU is relieved of certain data transfer functions by allowing peripherals to directly access the system memory. In a system with DMA there are typically two 8237 chips with 7 DMA channels to move data directly to the memory addresses. Due to certain inherent limitations, the practice of DMA has grown into what is now known as Bus Mastering.
• The drive letters A: and B: are reserved for the floppy drives. The first floppy gets the letter A: and the second gets the letter B:, if installed. Hard drives are the next priority, start with the letter C:, and can continue to Z: if necessary. CD-ROM drives by default get the next drive letter after the last installed hard drive.
• NetBEUI - An older IBM network protocol that does not lend itself well to routing.
• IPX/SPX - Typically associated with Novell Netware.
• TCP/IP - The most popular, and the default protocol for the Internet
• Network Operating System architecture can take one of three approaches:
o Client/Server - typically Novell systems, which have a secure, high quality dedicated server.
o Peer-to-Peer - classically Windows Workgroups. These networks are limited in number, with security and maintenance issues rising proportionally with the size of the network.
o Domain Based - typically Windows servers which use Domain Controllers and Active Directory, etc. as server software.
[edit]
RAM Memory Packages
RAM Memory Packages
Package Extension Features
SIPP Single Inline Pin Package Combined 8 DRAM chips on a single card, 8 bits wide
SIMM Single Inline Memory Module Eliminated pins, introduced banking, 30 or 72 pin flavors
DIMM Dual Inline Memory Module 168 pins per stick
RIMM RAMBUS, must be installed in pairs 184 pin form factor
[edit]
RAID
RAID Levels
Level Description Details
RAID0 Striped disk array with no fault tolerance. The several disks operate in parallel for faster data transfer rates.
RAID1 Mirroring and duplexing Creates duplicate copies of data that is split between disks. Mirroring writes from a single controller to two drives. Duplexing uses two separate controllers to write to two different hard drives. Increased access speeds.
RAID2 Data striping w/error recovery Spreads files across several disks; uses large amount of disk space as overhead to maintain parity (error checking.) Not typically used on PCs.
RAID3 Parallel transfer - parity striping Uses less hard drive space for error checking, but data transfer is more time consuming and less efficient.
RAID4 Independent data disks - shared parity disk Interleaves drives to make them appear as one large drive. There is only one parity drive that is shared. Low overhead high maintenance fault tolerance.
RAID5 Independent data disks - distributed parity blocks Popular system where parity is spread across the disks to create accuracy and redundancy.
RAID6 Similar to RAID5 Uses extra disks as well as asynchronous and cached data transmission for guaranteed fault tolerance. Could be called 'Super Raid5'.
[edit]
Types of Expansion Slots
Types of Expansion Slots
Slot Bus Size Notes
ISA
(Industry Standard Architecture) 8 or 16-bit Slowest slot used today
MCA
(Micro-Channel Architecture) 16 or 32-bit Expensive, fast, dead technology
Enhanced ISA 32-bit Compatible with ISA Slots
VL-Bus
(VESA Local Bus) 32-bit Bus Mastering, uses ISA slots with special connectors
PCI
(Peripheral Component Interconnect) 32-bit Bus Mastering, uses PCI slots, has a unique additional bus
PCI-2 64-bit Bus Mastering, uses PCI slots, has a unique additional bus

Attached Files

#3 lespaulsf

lespaulsf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

THanks gingertom I appreciate it.  I have some sayings that help me remember the different topics like you have provided.  FOr some reason I couldn't remember the OSI model saying "All People Seem TO need Data Processing" THanks

- Application
- Presentation
- Session
- Transport
- Network
- Data
- Physical

GOing to take the Essentials exam hopefully on Thursday of this week.  I will review the sheet your provided.  Thanks Again.
Comptia A + Technician 2007
Comptia Network + 2010

#4 kev4eva

kev4eva

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(manal @ Nov 14 2007, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW... i like it ...

thanx alot ... i gonna need it for sure to prepare my self for the exam...

Thanx Again.

any thing to remember the IEEE 802 wireless models?

#5 James

James

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Also see the other A+ Essentials Cram Sheet
James

ProProfs.com: Educational FREEway By Professionals & Professors

#6 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

I have been looking for "Essentials" help and tests.I don't want to brush up on things I don't need to know right now. (Only so many GB of storage in my head right now) It has been a while since I was in the IT field,and now returning I have been confused with the Essentials test not the -600's tests all broken up...

Thanks for the study info...

biggrin.gif

#7 yamhsoj

yamhsoj

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:43 PM

Thanks, this will be really helpful.  I just signed up for the Essentials and 602 on Jan. 5th, wish me luck!

#8 nappyjim

nappyjim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hey guys, just a bit of advice, you DO NOT need to know IRQ's, memory addresses.  Those are NOT in the new version of the test.  I think the guy who copied those notes took them from the 2003 version.

I just took the essentials today, passed with a 750 (kind of disappointed, thought I did better, plus one of the questions did have two correct answers, but said there was only 1 correct, I SWEAR BOTH WERE RIGHT! lol)

They didnt seem to ask as much technical, specific questions as I thought, except my first question was a very specific question, which kind  of irked me considering the subject was of ZERO importance in todays world.

#9 Snake Plisken

Snake Plisken

• PipPipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE(nappyjim @ Dec 13 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They didnt seem to ask as much technical, specific questions as I thought, except my first question was a very specific question, which kind  of irked me considering the subject was of ZERO importance in todays world.

Just interested what was the first question about????

#10 Gordy

Gordy

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:45 AM

Hi just half way through my A+ Essential studies now. This helps a whole bunch on clearing the wood from the trees.

Cheers

G

Edited by Gordy, 02 February 2008 - 03:45 AM.

#11 Supersonic

Supersonic

Sr. Active Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

Thank you guys, al this topics are great.
I still not ready to take the exam, but all this study guides are amazing!

A+ Certified  - 2008

#12 JOEDISCO

JOEDISCO

• PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to post tips and links. I do appreciate all the help I  
can get! Once I take (and pass) the test myself, I will be sure to offer up any tips I think might help someone. Until then, I will keep on working.

#13 Brandon M

Brandon M

Sr. Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

I converted the .doc to a .pdf if anyone wants it

http://www.mediafire.com/?23dj1yd9biv
Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA)
MCP: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
Comptia A+
Comptia Network+

Need the exam code? How about the objectives? Check out my small useful site with other exam info:
http://sites.google.com/site/bmmotc

#14 bil391

bil391

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

I just took the (2006) Essentials test yesterday and did not do so well. I got 620 (failed). I-Failed.gif  There was some odd questions but one I have not been able to get an answer to, and that is

What are the differences between a laptop and a desktop? help.gif
1) Heat
2) L2 Cache
3) Front side bus

I can not remember the other answer that was given. I am assuming that both the desktop and the laptop have heat issues, I am assuming both have L2 cache, but I am not so sure that a laptop has a front side bus.

Does anybody know the answer or can point me in the right direction to get this answer?

The other question would be:
I came upon a computer that has a vial half full of acetone. What would I do to dispose of this?

1) Fill the vial up with water and dump down the drain.
2) Leave the vial open and let it evaporate.
3) Research the guidelines for turning this in.
4) Throw it in the trash.

I am not sure there is a recycle point for a hazardous material (acetone), dumping it down the drain, I don't think so, leave the vial open, I don't think so. So it would leave research the guidelines and turn it in according to these guidelines.

Does anybody know where to get the answer to this question as well.

#15 bil391

bil391

• PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

Yes I do think that was a very good cram  clap.gif (cheet sheet) but like someone else asked, is there one that is a little more current for the 2006 essentials test? I saw somethings that were addressing Windows 98 and memorization of the IRQ's. I do not believe this is in the 2006 essentials testing. I wish I would have thought of this method to remember my IRQ's. I like the memorization technique for the laser printing process. I can do with this cram sheet and make some modifications.
I am hoping that someone as ingenious as this person is has already made a sheet that helped them get a 900 on their A+ Essentials test.  penny.gif

#16 mysticus

mysticus

• PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

thanks for the Cram sheet. I really need it

#17 daviddunnem

daviddunnem

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

thanks, this should be very helpful.  Although i am still confused as to whether this is 2003/ or 2006?!?

#18 usama

usama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the Cram sheet, saved me time enrolling in an A+ course and paying $1,500.

Edited by usama, 26 February 2008 - 12:33 AM.

#19 vguilfu

vguilfu

• PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(usama @ Feb 26 2008, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the Cram sheet, saved me time enrolling in an A+ course and paying $1,500.

This website is so sweet! It costs 1500 for coursework? You still have to pay the $150 to get the cert thought right? How was the test?

Edited by vguilfu, 26 February 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#20 damartin

damartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(lespaulsf @ Aug 30 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi I have seen that there are Cram sheets for the older A+ test but what about the 2006 Essentials test?

Thanks so much gingertom for the pneumonic devices for helping remember many of the things I have run across in the A+ study.   I am was laid off in March of last year and am taking classes at my Community College to get certifications.   I have worked in IT but not the hardware side  mostly testing and training of staff on proprietary software.    A+ is my first step.  I hope to get Linux+ and Network+ in the next couple months.  
This is a great site and has proved very helpful to me
Thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Due to excessive spam attacks, as of November 2012, these forums are no longer operating. We would be back with a much improved forum soon.