Flashcard Set Preview
Side ASide B
THREE FEATURES OF AN AUTOCRATIC
1. centralised 2. communication is one way 3. little trust in employees
NAME THE ADVANTAGES OF AN AUTOCRATIC STYLE
- Quicker - management is often in best position for final choice - some employees want to be lead
FEATURES OF A PERSUASIVE STYLE
1. centralised 2. sell or explain reasons for desicions 3. one way communication
3 ADVANTAGES OF A PERSUASIVE MANAGEMENT STYLE
1. employees are told the reasons for a decision 2. treat employees with respect 3. quicker - best desicions from management to make
3 FEATURES OF CONSULTATIVE STYLE
1. 2 way communication 2. final desicion made my manager 3. trust and respect shown towards employees
3 ADVANTAGES OF THE CONSULTATIVE STYLE
1.uses skills and abilities of employees 2. Increases motivation and job satisfaction 3. greater chance for new ideas
3 FEATURES OF A PARTICIPATIVE STLE
1. desicion making is shared 2. 2 way communication 3. high levels of delegation
DISADVANTAGES OF PARTICIPATIVE STYLE
- Time consuming - Friction and disagreement - some employees prefer not to be burdened
ADVANTAGES OF PARTICIPATIVE STYLE
1. Employee empowerment 2. uses skills and abilities 3. greater chance of ideas
This refers to the extra something that comes from a team working well together. Extra motivation may result when people are placed in teams, and can come from such styles as participative.
3 FEATURES OF LASSAIZ FAIRE MANAGERS
1. 2 way communication 2. desicions left totally to the group 3. managers give up responsibilities
EXPLAIN SITUATIONAL MANAGER
Where a style is adapted to suit the present situation. The manager becomes flexible to fit the situation, however it is uncertain and inconsistent.
LIST 7 MANAGEMENT SKILLS
1. desicion making 2. negotiation 3. delegation 4. emotional intelligence 5. time management 6. communication 7. stress management
The transfer of information to one or more persons
FORMS OF COMMUNICATION IN BUSSINESS INCLUDE:
1. oral 2. email/sms 3. telephone 4. meetings 5. committee 6. report 7. letter
3 REASONS WHY COMMUNICATION IS IMPORTANT
1. clear info needed 2. build strong relationships 3. gather useful information
3 WAYS TO IMRPOVE COMMUNICATION
1. prepared to listen 2. aware of cultural differences 3. ensure a clear and understood message
DEFINE STRESS MANAGEMENT
Ensuring the mental health of employees is maintained.
3 MAIN CAUSES OF STRESS & WHO'S SURVEY WAS IT?
ACTU 1. change 2. long hours 3. job security
3 WAYS TO PREVENT STRESS
1. provide effective and clear communication 2. be flexible and reasonable 3. establish a support program
WHAT PERCENTAGE OF EMPLOYEES BELEIVE THEIR STRESS LEVELS HAVE INCREASED?
More than 50%
The process of passing down tasks and responsibility to subordinates.
3 REASONS WHY DELEGATION IS IMPORTANT
1. enables managers to spend more time on important issues 2. builds confidence and trust 3. improve motivation
3 FACTORS TO EFFECTIVELY DELEGATE
1. competencies of subordinates 2. possible need for aditional training 3. current workloads of subordinates
DEFINE DESICION MAKING
The ability to create alternative solutions to a problem and select the most appropriate
WHY IS DESICION MAKING IMPORTANT
A manager needs to make desicions on a constant basis. A structured procedure will assist in making sure the most appropriate desicion is made.
LIST THE DESICION MAKING STEPS & ITS ACRONYM
C.D.C.I.M 1. clarify the problem 2. determine alternatives 3. choose an alternative 4. implement the desicion 5. monitor the desicion
DEFINE TIME MANAGEMENT
The effective and constructive use of avaliable time.
5 ELEMENTS OF EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT & ACRONYM
P.P.K.S.D 1. plan and set goals 2. set priorities 3. keep a diary 4. delegate where appropriate 5. proper training
A method of resolving disputes where discussions between parties results in a compromise. Influencing another person to have an opinion considered.
4 TIMES WHEN NEGOTIATION IS IMPORTANT
1. getting a good deal from suppliers. 2. discussing contracts 3. industrial relations 4. convincing stakeholders
4 RULES FOR NEGOTIATING A SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME
1. Clear understanding of what you hope to acheive 2. gather relevant information 3. assess your leverage 4. build rapport
DEFINE EMOTIONAL INTELLIGANCE & ITS 3 ELEMENTS
Emotional intelligence is awareness of your own emotions and the emotions of others. 1. self awareness 2. self management 3. compassion