Flashcard Set Preview
Side ASide B
Spirituality • Belief in a unifying force that gives purpose/meaning/direction to life Religion • Specific system of belief, worship, conduct
Cultivating beliefs, principles and values that provide guidance throughout life’s experiences
•Attempts to achieve self-esteem through external constructs FAILS –Power –Socioeconomic status –Physical Appearance
1. self2. environment3. others4. Transcendent Other
Relationships with self
self respectself esteemself confidenceself disciplineself controlself efficacy
Components of Spirituality
1. Belief in a higher power, being, or energy force greater than oneself (God, nature forces, humanity)2. feelings of hope for the future3. feelings of purpose, meaning,...
• Those who attend religious services compared to those who don’t - Overall (7 year difference) - For blacks (14 year difference)
•1. “Helper’s High” – release of endorphins/longer period of calm/improved well being •2. maintenance of good health •3. Stress related health problems improve •4....
Phases to forgiveness
1. uncovering-confronting/acknowledging pain2. decision phase-ideas of forgiveness considered3. work phase-acceptance of pain/develop compassion4.outcome/deepening phase- begin to feel...
¡Pharmaceutical companies spend...
nearly twice as much on marketing in the U.S. as they do on research and development (R&D).
factors that influence drug action
route administrationdosepotencypuritydrug mixing
immediate sensual appeal
– drugs with this quality are highly reinforcing and have a high dependence potential.
“Compulsive drug taking is caused as much by the characteristics of the user as the characteristics of the drug...
Bio, psycho, social
drug taking persits for many reasons
brain changesdesire to experience pleasuredesire to avoid pain
1.5 fl oz of 80-proof 5 fl oz wine12 fl oz beer or wine cooler
relaxation, mild euphoria, happy, talkative, buzzedwarmth relaxation, slight decrease reaction timebalance speech vision impairedreaction time slowed, color perception visual acuity...
vomitting decision and judgment highly impairedslurring fatal crash 25xmajor memory impairment blackoutdouble vision unconscious fall asleeplethal dose for 50% of adultsdeep coma, most...
signs of alcohol poisoning
§Confusion…vomiting §Seizures §Slow, irregular breathing §Cold, clammy, pale, discolored skin §Person cannot be awakened… ▪…when vomiting ▪…when...
alcohol in moderation
better buzzless physical harmless moneyhealthier relationshiplower toleranceless negative consequences