Flashcard Set Preview
Side ASide B
1. slender, pliant twig; osier; withe 2.cobweb 3.柳條 4. It's knitted by wicker.
1.characterized or marked by dignity of aspect or manner; stately; decorous: dignified...
1. the state, quality, or character of being notorious or widely known: a craze for notoriety....
1.fierce, ferocious, or cruel; untamed: savage beasts 2.aboriginal 3.兇猛的
1.an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses: the machinery of a factory....
1. aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc. 2.able to recognize
1. a person trained in the use of physical methods, as exercises, heat treatments,...
1.to make (an idea, statement, etc.) clear or intelligible; tofree from ambiguity.2.analyze
1.the process of determining by examination the natureand circumstances of a diseased condition.2.analysis
1.not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.2.batty
1.to enclose in or as in a shrine: His love for her is enshrinedforever in his poetry.2.apotheosize
1.the way in which a thing is composed or made up; makeup;composition: the chemical constitution of the cleanser.2....
1.occurring or appearing at irregular or infrequent intervals;occurring now and then: an occasional headache.2....
1.existing, occurring, or operating at the same time; concurrent:simultaneous movements; simultaneous translation.2. as one
1.passing swiftly; vanishing quickly; transient; transitory: fleetingbeauty; a fleeting glance.2....
1. such as to repay one's time, attention, interest, work, trouble,etc.: a worthwhile book.2....
1.any aggregate of people united by ties of descent from acommon ancestor, community of customs and traditions,2....
1. to keep possession of2. absorb
1.a standard of judgment or criticism; a rule or principle forevaluating or testing something.2....
1. person. who study about a mental disorder in which an individual manifests amoraland antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establishmeaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity,failure to learn from experience, etc.2.antisocial personality
1.the act or state of fulfilling: to witness the fulfillment of adream; to achieve fulfillment of one's hopes.2....
1. a physical weakness or ailment: the infirmities of age2....
1. a small piece of material used to mend a tear or break, tocover a hole, or to strengthen a weak place: patches atthe elbows of a sports jacket.2....
1. Pathology . changed to or being of an unnatural or abnormalkind: a perverted interest in death.2....
1.to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated: Hiswords implied a lack of faith.2.betoken
1.an article of trade or commerce, especially a product asdistinguished from a service.2....
1. to look upon or think of with a particular feeling: to regarda person with favor.2....
1.the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistentidea, image, desire, etc.2....
1.lacking intensity of color; colorless or whitish: a palecomplexion.2. anemic
1. only as specified and nothing more; simply: merely amatter of form.2....
1. an act or fact of infecting; state of being infected.2....
1. of the nature of exposition; serving to expound, set forth, orexplain: an expository essay; expository writing.2....
1. highest in rank or authority; paramount; sovereign; chief2. abnormally
1.the act of federating or uniting in a league. 2.alliance 3.
1.a shape resembling a segment of a ring tapering to points atthe ends. 2.bow-shaped 3
1.capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt, as by aweapon: a vulnerable part of the body. 2....
1.an object or its representation, symbolizing a quality, state,class of persons, etc.; symbol: The olive branch is anemblem of peace. 2.adumbration 3
1.a historic region in SE Europe: a former Turkish province; a partof Austria-Hungary (1879–1918) now part of Bosnia...
1.a bath that uses dry heat to induce perspiration, and inwhich steam is produced by pouring water on heatedstones. 2....
1. a building or large room used for meetings, entertainment,dancing, etc., especially such a place equipped withgambling devices, gambling tables, etc. ...
1.to provide food, service, etc., as for a party or wedding: tocater for a banquet. 2....
1.(of a person, ideas, tastes, manners, etc.) altered byeducation, experience, etc., so as to be worldly-wise; notnaive: a sophisticated young socialite; the sophisticatedeye of a journalist. 2....
1.excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior. 2....
1.pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially agroup (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctiveculture, religion, language, or the like. 2.civil 3.
1.an artificial light so directed or diffused as to give acomparatively uniform illumination over a rather large givenarea. 2.brighten 3.
1.a cave or cavern 2.antre 3.
1. 2.affiance 3.
1.characterized or marked by dignity of aspect or manner; stately;decorous: dignified conduct. 2.abject 3.
1.any building, structure, or thing reduced to a state of ruin. 2....
1.contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, orcorrectness; complacent. 2....
1.a Protestant minister or layperson who serves as anitinerant or special preacher, especially a revivalist. 2. circuit rider 3.
1.penetrating or entering deeply into subjects of thought orknowledge; having deep insight or understanding: aprofound thinker. 2.Orphic 3.
1.stiff or unyielding; not pliant or flexible; hard: a rigid strip ofmetal. 2.durably 3.
1.a customary or regular course of procedure 2. accepted 3.
1.not sharp; blunt: a dull knife. 2.addled 3.
1.having or characterized by qualities considered manly,especially when manifested in an assertive, self-conscious, ordominating way. 2....
1.to write hastily or carelessly: to scribble a letter. 2.doodle 3.
1.growing to manhood or womanhood; youthful. 2.boyish 3.
1.great or eager desire; yearning. 2.ache 3.
1.that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground forbelief; proof. 2.affirmation 3.
1.a person who flees for refuge or safety, especially to aforeign country, as in time of political upheaval, war, etc 2.alien 3.
1.the development and application of sanitary measures forthe sake of cleanliness, protecting health, etc. 2.asepsis 3.
1.capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt, as by aweapon: a vulnerable part of the body. 2.accessible 3.
1. a person known to one, but usually not a close friend.
1. a positive statement or declaration, often without support or reason: a mere assertion;...
1. driving to madness or frenzy: a maddening thirst.
1. to grant or give, as by favor, graciousness, or condescension: to vouchsafe a...
1. ( usually initial capital letter ) the legislature of Great Britain,historically the assembly of the three estates, now composedof Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal, forming together thehouse of Lords, and representatives of the counties, cities,boroughs, and universities, forming the House of Commons.
1. a person who advocates or believes in anarchy or anarchism.
1.an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or otherrite.
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity forpleasure rather than for financial benefit or professionalreasons. Compare professional.
1. a shoulder firearm with spiral grooves cut in the inner surface of the gun...
1.to be reluctant or wait to act because of fear, indecision, ordisinclination: She hesitated to take the job.
1.an erroneous conception; mistaken notion.2. Delusion
1. to interpret, explain, or understand incorrectly.2....
1.carefully weighed or considered; studied; intentional: adeliberate lie.2. advisedly
1.a prolonged public dispute, debate, or contention; disputationconcerning a matter of opinion.2....
1.savagely fierce, as a wild beast, person, action, or aspect;violently cruel: a ferocious beating.2.barbarous
1.completely puzzled or confused; perplexed.2.addle
1.to strike (a person, usually a child) with the open hand, aslipper, etc., especially on the buttocks, as in punishment.2.belt
1.a general outburst of enthusiasm, excitement, controversy,or the like.2.ado
1.having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, orunderstanding; perceiving all things.2.all-seeing
1.the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing,denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.2.banter
1.performed by or involving a supernatural power or agency: amiraculous cure.2.amazing
1.a particular system of religious worship, especially withreference to its rites and ceremonies.2.band
1.of, for, or pertaining to the army or armed forces, often asdistinguished from the navy: from civilian to military life.2.aggressive
1.Ophthalmology . abnormally high fluid pressure in the eye, mostcommonly caused either by blockage of the channel through whichaqueous humor drains (open-angle glaucoma or chronic glaucoma) or by pressure of the iris against the lens, which traps theaqueous humor (angle-closure glaucoma or acute glaucoma).2.-----------
1.either side of the face below the eye and above the jaw2.chop
1.any of various thick, sweet liquids prepared for table use frommolasses, glucose, etc., water, and often a flavoring agent2.glucose
1.lacking skill or dexterity; clumsy2.bunglingly
1.filled with awe.2.------
1.a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a formertime in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one'sfamily and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happinessof a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.2.fond memories
1.a metal container in which to boil liquids, cook foods, etc.;pot.2.boiler
1.not clearly or explicitly stated or expressed: vague promises.2.ambiguously
1.an officer, similar to a sheriff or a sheriff's deputy, employedto execute writs and processes, make arrests, keep order inthe court, etc.2.agent
1.hand clapping as a demonstration of approval, appreciation,acclamation, or the like.2.acclaim